Why Vigen should probably be next HC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laramigo
Buckaroo

Looooooong time lurker - first time poster.

Subject heading seems like it is surely in jest - but hear me out. The reason that hotshot offensive and defensive coordinators seldom work out when they get promoted to HC, is that the very first thing they do upon taking the job is relinquish their coordinating duties. Teams that hire them as the HC don't get to benefit from what they do best - call plays and schemes.

This is why Vigen might actually be a decent HC - as he's clearly positioned to be HC since Bohl promoted him to Associate Head Coach. He knows the Bohl/NDSU/Wyo system - which is solid. But he'd probably have to farm out his OC duties to someone else. And pretty much anyone else would exhibit a modicum of innovation and willingness to occasionally take a risk and do something unorthodox. I'm as soured on Vigen as anyone as a playcaller - but maybe as HC he'd have to give those duties up. Of course it's a huge gamble because he might be the rare HC who retains playcalling responsibilities - which would be a (continued) disaster. Maybe Burman could hire him as HC on the condition that he hire an OC.

As a related aside, how this staff cannot see that Levi is clearly the superior QB is astounding and deeply disappointing.

Signed,
Not Vigen
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

laramigo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:27 pm Looooooong time lurker - first time poster.

Subject heading seems like it is surely in jest - but hear me out. The reason that hotshot offensive and defensive coordinators seldom work out when they get promoted to HC, is that the very first thing they do upon taking the job is relinquish their coordinating duties. Teams that hire them as the HC don't get to benefit from what they do best - call plays and schemes.

This is why Vigen might actually be a decent HC - as he's clearly positioned to be HC since Bohl promoted him to Associate Head Coach. He knows the Bohl/NDSU/Wyo system - which is solid. But he'd probably have to farm out his OC duties to someone else. And pretty much anyone else would exhibit a modicum of innovation and willingness to occasionally take a risk and do something unorthodox. I'm as soured on Vigen as anyone as a playcaller - but maybe as HC he'd have to give those duties up. Of course it's a huge gamble because he might be the rare HC who retains playcalling responsibilities - which would be a (continued) disaster. Maybe Burman could hire him as HC on the condition that he hire an OC.

As a related aside, how this staff cannot see that Levi is clearly the superior QB is astounding and deeply disappointing.

Signed,
Not Vigen
Welcome aboard. Definitely an interesting idea. I was just thinking who might be out there that bohl would trust to run the offense the way he wants if he happened to make a change or if bohl hung it up and Vigen became HC. Hell bohl might hang it up so he isn’t forced to fire him. Maybe one of the NDSU folk know someone from the system.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Good thoughts. I wouldn't mind Vig as a HC. I think he seems like a good guy and a capable leader.. just a really, really dim offensive mind.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

When I hear this, I'm thinking of when Vic Koenning got promoted to head coach. We all know how that turned out.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Well, UNM and UNLV are both looking for new HCs...

Think we could make Vigen look like a good buy?
castlerocker
Cowpoke

Everybody is assuming that Vigen is the mastermind behind his lethargic
offense but Bohl keeps repeating what he wants the offense to do.

Several times earlier in the season when asked why we continue to run up
the middle even though it isn't yielding anything, Bohl has said very adamantly
"We want to impose our will on them".

Sounds like a deeply ingrained Nebraska state of mind from the past. Not
a bad idea to impose our will but maybe we should first just score some
touchdowns instead of two lousy field goals in a whole game.