Wyoming @ AF (-11)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

I truly believe we have built a sustainable defense that can weather the test of time while Bohl is around. We seemed to have a pretty good line for most of the year, we have had a few injuries on the oline that have hurt, but those can be mitigated by making adjustments to the game plan. Pretty much everything we ran to the edge was successful but we insisted on the dive. Then putting TVW in after Levi was moving the ball makes absolutely zero sense. That is like replacing the pitcher with a no hitter because the guys in the bull pen need work.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:09 pm Our o line got demolished all game and we kept trying to run it up the middle regardless. The only thing AF did was keep the handfull of 10 + yd runs we usually get a game in check. Other than that, we got the same absurd number of runs of 2-3 yds or fewer we have against every opponent.

Besides, who needs adjustments. Lax and 307bball will defend this coaching staff to the end and throw the players under the bus or give the other team credit every time, and then Lax will call anyone who points out the obvious wankers. You guys crack me up. I really hope Bohl and Vigen send you two a nice Christmas card for your spin work, you deserve it. You should get a jobs as a political commentator you two spin so good.
What can I say? good coaches are good coaches....Wyoming's current coaching staff is firmly in the good category. (especially when compared to other Wyoming coaching staffs, and not against some mythical perfect team). Bad coaches are bad...lots of those have paced the Wyoming sidelines. My personal opinion is that the current Offense is not good. I believe that fans who clamour that the ONLY reason we ever struggle on offense is because Vigen sux bla bla bla, are deluding themselves.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:05 pm
WyomingAg wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:57 pm I would say 4 other teams were successful doing it. The 4 others that beat us. We had plenty of 3 and outs in all our losses due to teams successfully clogging up the middle on defense
Idaho and Texas state did it fairly well too, and we almost lost those (287 yards of offense vs Idaho, 293 vs Texas State (Tyler Hall saved our asses with his 72 yard interception TD in that one)).
Rushing totals this year:

114 today

Lowest total for the year...weeeell below average. The other team that came to mind that actually stopped us running was Boise St. and the defense played the best i'd seen them play all year along with not turning it over (like today) almost won the game.

AFA had success stopping Wyoming's running game that no other team on our schedule had accomplished.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

307bball wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:18 pm I believe that fans who clamour that the ONLY reason we ever struggle on offense is because Vigen sux bla bla bla, are deluding themselves.
So expecting improvements after six years is delusional? Who's responsible for our offense? The rushing totals also look decent in a vacuum. Doesn't look nearly as good when you realize for many of those games, that was also the only offense we had.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

They also look good in a vaccum when you don't consider that often times 1/3rd or more or those yards come in 4-5 plays and that the rest of time we're running the ball there's a ton of essentially wasted plays that put the offense behind schedule. I'd be totally fine running the ball on damn near every single play the whole damn season if we could actually get 3 yds or more on a large percentage of our runs. But right now our averages and totals look good because of a few plays, not because of a consistently effective running game. There's a big difference between the stats and the actual effectiveness of a running game.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:37 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:18 pm I believe that fans who clamour that the ONLY reason we ever struggle on offense is because Vigen sux bla bla bla, are deluding themselves.
So expecting improvements after six years is delusional? Who's responsible for our offense? The rushing totals also look decent in a vacuum. Doesn't look nearly as good when you realize for many of those games, that was also the only offense we had.
People are struggling with language today. Please refer to my actual comments and make some sort of honest effort at a conversation.

Is it not possible that there are factors affecting offensive production this year beyond Vigens ability to call a game? Look, if we had some sort of talent at WR and not had our entire stable of running backs lost for the season or playing injured, along with key o-line injuries, and the starting qb going down.... Then this would be a slam dunk. I'd be right there with all the Vigens haters (though I would refrain from personal attacks). My priority is to have a good football team. It seems like that is kind of happening.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:09 pm
People are struggling with language today. Please refer to my actual comments and make some sort of honest effort at a conversation.

Is it not possible that there are factors affecting offensive production this year beyond Vigens ability to call a game? Look, if we had some sort of talent at WR and not had our entire stable of running backs lost for the season or playing injured, along with key o-line injuries, and the starting qb going down.... Then this would be a slam dunk. I'd be right there with all the Vigens haters (though I would refrain from personal attacks). My priority is to have a good football team. It seems like that is kind of happening.
He’s the offensive coordinator. He is in charge of the offense. If they suck, for whatever reason, it’s on him. Fine, it’s not play calling, it’s talent. Isn’t he out on the recruiting trail? Isn’t he having input on who gets offered and who doesn’t? These are his players. A lack of skill is also a reflection of his acumen.

Every team in the country has injuries. The good ones survive and move on. I think for the most part we have the “depth” to absorb some injuries. I guess kudos for that.

It boggles my mind that you Vigen Blowers always come back to things like “my priority is having a good team” or “remember where we were 6 years ago” blah blah blah as if those excuses some how justify being average at best and leaving at least three wins on the table due to poop play calling. We had the team to be 10-2 today but you honks are ok being 7-5 because “the players aren’t executing Vigen plan”. It’s crazy.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

We are always going to be short on running backs with how we use them.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:17 pm

He’s the offensive coordinator. He is in charge of the offense. If they suck, for whatever reason, it’s on him. Fine, it’s not play calling, it’s talent. Isn’t he out on the recruiting trail? Isn’t he having input on who gets offered and who doesn’t? These are his players. A lack of skill is also a reflection of his acumen.

Every team in the country has injuries. The good ones survive and move on. I think for the most part we have the “depth” to absorb some injuries. I guess kudos for that.

It boggles my mind that you Vigen Blowers always come back to things like “my priority is having a good team” or “remember where we were 6 years ago” blah blah blah as if those excuses some how justify being average at best and leaving at least three wins on the table due to poop play calling. We had the team to be 10-2 today but you honks are ok being 7-5 because “the players aren’t executing Vigen plan”. It’s crazy.
@Itsucktobeacsuram, You are making some great points that I'm pretty much in agreement with.

Nobody is "blowing" Vigen. My priority IS actually to have a good team. I assume that is yours as well. I am skepticall that any one person is responsible for leaving three wins on the table....that is reductionist thinking and creates a culture of "quick fix". Bohl needs to make a better offense happen...he's the HC. The buck does not stop with Vigen.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:57 pm

@Itsucktobeacsuram, You are making some great points that I'm pretty much in agreement with.

Nobody is "blowing" Vigen. My priority IS actually to have a good team. I assume that is yours as well. I am skepticall that any one person is responsible for leaving three wins on the table....that is reductionist thinking and creates a culture of "quick fix". Bohl needs to make a better offense happen...he's the HC. The buck does not stop with Vigen.
But we’re not good. Not in the scope of playing good quality football in all phases. We have an elite defense, quality special teams, and statistically one of the worst offenses in college football. There is one thing and one thing only holding this team back from being great and that is the offensive scheme. To say anything other is ignorance or deceit.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

HR_Poke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:18 pm

We are always going to be short on running backs with how we use them.
This! What makes you think they will ever be healthy for an entire season the way they are pounded into the ground? There is a reason Chambers, Smith and Swen are hurt.
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

Is anyone else questioning why TVW was in the game after he appeared to be completely wobbly walking to the sideline. I am hoping they ran him through a concussion test before running him back out there.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:03 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:57 pm

But we’re not good. Not in the scope of playing good quality football in all phases. We have an elite defense, quality special teams, and statistically one of the worst offenses in college football. There is one thing and one thing only holding this team back from being great and that is the offensive scheme. To say anything other is ignorance or deceit.
"good" is pretty subjective...I do think this was a good team. Reasonable people could definitely say otherwise. That is fine. I aggree that our offense is holding us back. I don't think it's as simple as remove Vigen=win. In fact I can see a world where Vigen succeeds. I'm actually seeing a a talent deficit at wide reciever that any OC would struggle with as well as a higher than average injury season (at key positions). So I can't just nod along with people that make claims that THE ONLY reason we suck on offense is Vigen. It doesn't look like Vigen will ever have a top 10 offense anytime soon but you actually can be a great team without that. Anyways...I hope you are ok with folks agreeing with you but pointing out other explanations for this teams struggles.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Do we get another post game interview like the one from the Utah State game? Does anyone dare to ask a tough question regarding the questionable play calls and clock management? Will CBC make himself available at all?

Inquiring minds want to know.....
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

This is ridiculous. You are making stupid excuses. He has had 6 years to get things fixed and he hasn’t done it. Don’t give me the whole “There are other factors excuse” ..... I think everyone already knows that. Vigen and Bohl are both in charge of it and they haven’t got it fixed. If you couldn’t do your job for 5 out of 6 years you would be poop canned. If Bohl can’t figure it out he can get out as well. Don’t let the barn door hit him in the ass on the way out.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:34 pm

This is ridiculous. You are making stupid excuses. He has had 6 years to get things fixed and he hasn’t done it. Don’t give me the whole “There are other factors excuse” ..... I think everyone already knows that. Vigen and Bohl are both in charge of it and they haven’t got it fixed. If you couldn’t do your job for 5 out of 6 years you would be poop canned. If Bohl can’t figure it out he can get out as well. Don’t let the barn door hit him in the ass on the way out.
Can’t wait for another 20 years of suck as we likely hire the next Mike Locksley after forcing Bohl out. Then after running through 3-4 coaches, maybe we can find lightning in a bottle again and find a coach that will make the Cowboys consistently competitive like Bohl.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:40 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Can’t wait for another 20 years of suck as we likely hire the next Mike Locksley after forcing Bohl out. Then after running through 3-4 coaches, maybe we can find lightning in a bottle again and find a coach that will make the Cowboys consistently competitive like Bohl.
And this is the crux of the problem with Wyoming Football. We get back to mediocre after a decade of suck and the fanbase is perfectly fine with it and goes out of their way to advocate for continued mediocrity for the fear of going back to the suck. What's to say that a change in philosophy (read change in OC, and if not, change in HC) would lead to another decade of mediocrity at best? Now that expectations have finally been achieved (the perennial 7-5 season), why shouldn't our expectations rise as a fanbase? We were told "All who stay will be champions!"....Still waiting.....
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:38 pm We just don't have a qb that can throw ....injured or playing.
False! I didn't see one bad throw from Levi. Not a single one.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:04 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:38 pm We just don't have a qb that can throw ....injured or playing.
False! I didn't see one bad throw from Levi. Not a single one.
The first INT was a bad throw... should have thrown it away.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:09 pm Our o line got demolished all game and we kept trying to run it up the middle regardless. The only thing AF did was keep the handfull of 10 + yd runs we usually get a game in check. Other than that, we got the same absurd number of runs of 2-3 yds or fewer we have against every opponent.

Besides, who needs adjustments. Lax and 307bball will defend this coaching staff to the end and throw the players under the bus or give the other team credit every time, and then Lax will call anyone who points out the obvious wankers. You guys crack me up. I really hope Bohl and Vigen send you two a nice Christmas card for your spin work, you deserve it. You should get a jobs as a political commentator you two spin so good.
Post of the day