Gameday atmosphere in Logan

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Kinda expanding on LanderPoke's recent post about the 15k attendance...
In truth, there were about 10-12k actually there. Returning home from a big road win in Fresno, and on the cusp of Bowl eligibilty on a beautiful November day, you kinda expect more... It's sort of like they hitched it all on the BYU game then got brutalized and couldn't come back... I dunno. Now I'm going to, as a WYO fan, sound a little like the pot calling the kettle black... but I just gotta say that the atmosphere there was pretty rinky-dink. I expected more given their recent success. Since 2012 they are winning at a .620 pace (62-40) while we are 43-54.

We walked the entire parking lot an hour before kickoff and observed no more than 5 tailgates and ZERO buzz or pregame atmosphere. I get it, it's Utah, and a combination of culture and laws does not promote tailgate culture, but geez, no kids tossing balls around, no bbq's, really nothing. Wyoming has come a long way in this category. Then, at the gate, NO scanners. They just glanced at our printed StubHub tix and waved us in. I felt as though I could have been holding a ticket for a 1989 Ricks College game and they would have let me in. Our stadium is better. Theirs is fine, but the facility has some issues. When you sit on the "B" side its a long walk to concessions and a restroom.

I know this ramble seems like a diss on USU, but what I'm really trying to say is that WE deserve a better team. I mean, let's say that FBS football is divided up into 3-4 tiers based on facilities, gameday atmosphere and tradition. We're closer to second tier and they're closer to third tier. The two Universities have a lot of similarities; Land-grant Ag Universities set in smaller "college towns" with not too dissimilar surrounding populations in the Rocky Mountain West.

So it just ticks me off to go there and see them seemingly passive about their program. I'd give my left nut to have their record since 2012 and I KNOW that we would be bringing more than 10-12k people in on days like yesterday. We deserve a better team.

Edit/Add: I forgot to mention that the Bull they use as their logo looks like something you'd get from the clip-art pack available for purchase with WordPerfect X3.... Our branding (pun intended) is so much better.
Last edited by GOWYO on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

GOWYO wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:51 pm Kinda expanding on LanderPoke's recent post about the 15k attendance...
In truth, there were about 10-12k actually there. Returning home from a big road win in Fresno, and on the cusp of Bowl eligibilty on a beautiful November day, you kinda expect more... It's sort of like they hitched it all on the BYU game then got brutalized and couldn't come back... I dunno. Now I'm going to, as a WYO fan, sound a little like the pot calling the kettle black... but I just gotta say that the atmosphere there was pretty rinky-dink. I expected more given their recent success. Since 2012 they are winning at a .620 pace (62-40) while we are 43-54.

We walked the entire parking lot an hour before kickoff and observed no more than 5 tailgates and ZERO buzz or pregame atmosphere. I get it, it's Utah, and a combination of culture and laws does not promote tailgate culture, but geez, no kids tossing balls around, no bbq's, really nothing. Wyoming has come a long way in this category. Then, at the gate, NO scanners. They just glanced at our printed StubHub tix and waved us in. I felt as though I could have been holding a ticket for a 1989 Ricks College game and they would have let me in. Our stadium is better. Theirs is fine, but the facility has some issues. When you sit on the "B" side its a long walk to concessions and a restroom.

I know this ramble seems like a diss on USU, but what I'm really trying to say is that WE deserve a better team. I mean, let's say that FBS football is divided up into 3-4 tiers based on facilities, gameday atmosphere and tradition. We're closer to second tier and they're closer to third tier. The two Universities have a lot of similarities; Land-grant Ag Universities set in smaller "college towns" with not too dissimilar surrounding populations in the Rocky Mountain West.

So it just ticks me off to go there and see them seemingly passive about their program. I'd give my left nut to have their record since 2012 and I KNOW that we would be bringing more than 10-12k people in on days like yesterday. We deserve a better team.
I'm not sure about "deserving" success but I do agree with your sentiment. I don't know what the magic sauce is going to be that signals that Wyoming athletics have it figured out. I don't even think it needs to be limited to football. This state will pull hard for a winner. Outside of a brief moment with Glenn, I've not felt like the program has been on the right track. To me, it seems like that is/has changed but the results aren't quite there yet. Just have to keep doing the right things and the results will follow.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

You pretty much summed up my thoughts. Anyway, I was there too. Color me unimpressed. It actually caught me off guard how little fanfare there was. It's as if there wasn't a football game and they have a good team! It was the weirdest thing. Guess most of their fanbase was cheering for the cougars in Provo?

One side of the stadium seems decent, but the side Wyo fans sat on was old and decrepit. Makes the west side of the War look like the Taj Mahal. Anyway, that town is in an incredibly beautiful part of the world, yet the town itself has all the charm of a strip mall. Their campus has beautiful views, but super ugly buildings. Going to places like CSU and USU really makes me appreciate our exceedingly beautiful campus. I hate watching our Cowboys lose to a team like that. Blows my mind how USU has been able to field the teams they have with what they have going for them. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

It's truly a basketball town, and going to that area is like going to a game in a large glorified living room imo
raggie
Buckaroo

Whoa whoa whoa whoa stop the clock.

First of all, I appreciate all the Cowboy fans who made the trip to Logan for a good game and a beautiful day.

Most Aggie fans also are disappointed with the fan support at this juncture, and there probably is some truth to the notion that losing to BYU took the wind out of the sails of a good portion of our fan base, because as much as the True Aggie fans would like to change this, too many Aggies are hung up on BYU.

I do take umbrage with y'all saying we don't have a beautiful campus. I'll grant that maybe Laramie tastes can differ, but I think most agree we have a wonderful campus.

The one point I did want to make with you guys though, to keep in mind for two years from now, is our tailgate lot is on the northwest corner of the stadium. We are not large, but those who tailgate do enjoy themselves. With most of the visiting fans sitting on the east side of the stadium, I'd see it would be easy to miss especially if you park on the east side. Our tailgate this week featured a crab boil, bloody mary bar, mimosas, breakfast burritos, fire grilled pizzas, and an endless supply of beer and white claw. I left full and inebriated and offered up a cold beer to every Wyoming fan I saw, which to my point, wasn't many on that side of the stadium. Come visit us next time.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

raggie wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:38 am Whoa whoa whoa whoa stop the clock.

First of all, I appreciate all the Cowboy fans who made the trip to Logan for a good game and a beautiful day.

Most Aggie fans also are disappointed with the fan support at this juncture, and there probably is some truth to the notion that losing to BYU took the wind out of the sails of a good portion of our fan base, because as much as the True Aggie fans would like to change this, too many Aggies are hung up on BYU.

I do take umbrage with y'all saying we don't have a beautiful campus. I'll grant that maybe Laramie tastes can differ, but I think most agree we have a wonderful campus.

The one point I did want to make with you guys though, to keep in mind for two years from now, is our tailgate lot is on the northwest corner of the stadium. We are not large, but those who tailgate do enjoy themselves. With most of the visiting fans sitting on the east side of the stadium, I'd see it would be easy to miss especially if you park on the east side. Our tailgate this week featured a crab boil, bloody mary bar, mimosas, breakfast burritos, fire grilled pizzas, and an endless supply of beer and white claw. I left full and inebriated and offered up a cold beer to every Wyoming fan I saw, which to my point, wasn't many on that side of the stadium. Come visit us next time.
In the spectrum of cfb tailgating both Wyo and USU are pretty much bringing up the rear. Go hang out out in big 10 country or SEC. Doesn't mean that you can't have fun in Laramie or Logan though :P