Levi Williams

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:13 am
J-Bone wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:01 am Love Chambers, but he still has issues with his pass game. If Levi can bring that back to our offense, we'll be in a much better position.
Improving the pass game: It won't happen with current staff. It didn't happen when Allen was here. He had to get in the pros before tutelage about passing. About this, read the article in the front page sports section of todays Denver Post about Allen.
Allen almost didn't play Div 1 football. We recruited him from Reed college.

Year 1 - he plays 3 games total, 1 as a starter (for 23 plays). Injured and out for the year.
Year 2 - Wyoming wins the division
Year 3 - Potato bowl bound - and leaves for the draft

He wasn't recruited out of HS. He didn't red shirt. He transfered. He was injured. He did a hell of a job, then declared for the draft. - And TBH, I think 2017 would have been a completely different year if Brian Hill had stuck around one more year.

I really don't buy the 'can't develop quarterbacks argument."

Preseason - Brett Smith declares for the draft.
Year #1 - Kirguard Sr is our quarterback
Year #2 - Cameron Coffman (Sr) Is our quarterback
Year #3 - Josh Allen (So) is our quarterback
Year #4 - Josh Allen (Jr) is our quarterback
Year #5 - Vanderwall/Chambers is our quarterback
Year #6 - Chambers/Vanderwall/Williams is our quarterback

Just looking at the numbers, I'd say 2.2 years of Josh Allen shows we can develop a quarterback. Hell, look at chambers or vanderwall last year compared to this year. Both are far better than they were last year.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Poke in New England wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 pm
WyoExpat wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 am
Poke in New England wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:44 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:24 am First off we would have won that game by at least two TDs if Sean played. fml. Sean would have run for 250 on those fools. No joke.

Secondly, TWV has heart and passion like I've seen in few players. I'll always appreciate how he hustled and ran that guys down after his pick and tackled him on the two. That shows he gives a crap. But it's not working out. He throws some beautiful passes followed by some questionable ones. I blame Vigen. Vigen has a special and uncommon talent for making QBs regress. Hell, like others have said, a generational talent like Josh Allen struggled mightily under his poop tutelage.

Thirdly, I think Levi deserves a chance at some point this season. Not sure when the right time to do it is, but I do think it needs to happen. I want Tyler so bad to lead us to a good ending, but I just don't see it.
TVW is a good example of how a quarterback has to be superman for the offense to succeed. He has some of the tools of a good college quarterback but he isn't nearly special enough. For this offense every single passing attempt feels like a whole adventure and it has for years. I think we take fewer easy completions than any team in college football. The only difference is that we had Josh Allen who could run back and forth in the pocket and then throw a 50 yard frozen rope to the endzone. Same for Chambers except that he can realistically break an 80 yard touchdown run. If you can't do either of these you're poop out of luck playing QB for Vigen and Bohl.
As we discuss how this staff can't develop players or really coach on game day, how many of us are winning to look at objective, quantifiable data?

For example, how many of Nick Saban's quarterbacks were top 10 draft picks and are starting for NFL teams? How many quarterbacks that went through the Bohl/Vigen system are there that were top 10 picks and NFL starters?

Know what I like best about our crew now? The lines are dominant, even when starters go down for the season. Also, both our offense and defense feel like they can close the door on teams once they have a lead. We have had many, many teams that we knew could not do so.
That's my point though - Allen and Wentz are, for schools like NDSU and Wyoming, a once in a generation type prospect. Both of them had success with Bohl and Vigen because they were elite athletes and could make superman type plays. I'm saying that the problem is if you don't have that that type of guy but don't adjust your offensive plan accordingly.
I've noticed any time we have a quarterback rotation the game plan changes signficantly. If TVW is in, look for more naked bootlegs, some running, more RPO, Play Action, and passing. If chambers is in, we are far more run focused and RPO. Levi, it looks like they were trying to figure out where his strenghts were. Run it - have him run it. See how well he does with the pass game. Nobody is getting tossed to the wolves. I think the coaches are being pretty considerate and breaking everyone in as they can.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:27 pm Lol.... yeah that depth is really helping our offense. I guess experts of the D1 must see a great offense out there. A kindergarten kid can tell that all our losses are due to our offense..... same story that never changes because our head coach won't do what is necessary.

The idea is to outscore your opponent. What will Bohl do to get the team to the next level? I know what it takes.... and it starts with having a set.....
Thats why kindergarten kids don't coach. All of our losses are due to not scoring more than the other team.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:02 am Those that have an issue with Vigen, are pointing out that the QBs seem to regress under him. Develop bad habits.

No one has said anything about the rest. Though for awhile, we were wondering what the WR coach was teaching his guys, but they've stepped it up lately. The rest of the team, no one has had any issues with the development. Just the QBs. In fact, everyone is excited for the development of the payers, including the lines.

But the QBs... You watch the highlight reels of these guys coming out of high school. They throw the ball with touch and power, but able to hit their guys in stride. After a year or so under Vigen, they're throwing rockets on short passes, grounding the ball at an open receiver's feet, or overthrowing the top of their jump height by 3 feet or so. Which was a major issue when Josh was here as well. But after two years with an actual QB coach, he's finally able to showcase his talent as a top QB. Including the short pass.
I'd argue that we haven't had a quarterback around long enough for them to regress. Kirkguard was a great person, but not much of a qb. he graduated year #1. Cameron transfered here - but it was in the middle of the coaches blowing up the program, and dealing with all that sucks around doing that. Things started to stabalize a bit, but allen was out to the NFL pretty quickly (and even if vigen made him worse from his JC days, he was still a first round draft pick).

I can see what the coaches like about TVW and Chambers. And they are feeling out Levi now.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

If we scored more points we'd win more games. We have proven we don't score many points with Vigen. He's had his chance.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I think that there are some on here who would rather burn the thing down and restart from scratch than compete for titles in November every year with Coach Vigen.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

WyoExpat wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:05 pm I think that there are some on here who would rather burn the thing down and restart from scratch than compete for titles in November every year with Coach Vigen.
Seems likely. We will keep being competitive, but we will get better year by year. For some reason, it will piss everyone off. We will win championships, but not blow teams out. People will be pissed. We will blow teams out in championship games, people will be pissed. The staff will retire or go elsewhere, people will be pissed.

When/if we win tomorrow at AFA, aint nobody going to be better than us on the front range. And people will be pissed.

I'm really excited in the direction we are going. I'd like to see us dominant like we were playing video games as well. The truth is, we usually play quite a bit above our level over the last 120+ years, and right now we are playing very well. I just hope the crap we saw after 2000 is gone for a while.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:47 am
fromolwyoming wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:02 am Those that have an issue with Vigen, are pointing out that the QBs seem to regress under him. Develop bad habits.

No one has said anything about the rest. Though for awhile, we were wondering what the WR coach was teaching his guys, but they've stepped it up lately. The rest of the team, no one has had any issues with the development. Just the QBs. In fact, everyone is excited for the development of the payers, including the lines.

But the QBs... You watch the highlight reels of these guys coming out of high school. They throw the ball with touch and power, but able to hit their guys in stride. After a year or so under Vigen, they're throwing rockets on short passes, grounding the ball at an open receiver's feet, or overthrowing the top of their jump height by 3 feet or so. Which was a major issue when Josh was here as well. But after two years with an actual QB coach, he's finally able to showcase his talent as a top QB. Including the short pass.
I'd argue that we haven't had a quarterback around long enough for them to regress. Kirkguard was a great person, but not much of a qb. he graduated year #1. Cameron transfered here - but it was in the middle of the coaches blowing up the program, and dealing with all that sucks around doing that. Things started to stabalize a bit, but allen was out to the NFL pretty quickly (and even if vigen made him worse from his JC days, he was still a first round draft pick).

I can see what the coaches like about TVW and Chambers. And they are feeling out Levi now.
Josh was told to sling it in high school, he didn’t go to quarterback camps, he played baseball. He was told to sling it at JC. We really didn’t have much time with him. I think he received a good coaching from our staff and left with enough of a foundation to get drafted. None of those other QBs drafted played any better than he did their first year. And now everyone seems to expect that our QBs should come out and perform like an upperclassmen after a spring and fall camp.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:50 pm
WyoBrandX wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:47 am

Josh was told to sling it in high school, he didn’t go to quarterback camps, he played baseball. He was told to sling it at JC. We really didn’t have much time with him. I think he received a good coaching from our staff and left with enough of a foundation to get drafted. None of those other QBs drafted played any better than he did their first year. And now everyone seems to expect that our QBs should come out and perform like an upperclassmen after a spring and fall camp.
Its pretty damn cool that Allen was able to play so many sports and didnt try to specialize. The dude was determined to make the best of it at every turn. Coaching or not, most of it was him just wanting to compete - and he had planned it out. We all plan things out. Thats human nature. The difference is he stepped up and took what was given to him, then he took some more.

Play hard, and your going to win with this staff in place.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Anyway.. Levi is going to be special. I'm calling it now
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

WyoExpat wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:05 pm I think that there are some on here who would rather burn the thing down and restart from scratch than compete for titles in November every year with Coach Vigen.
We've competed for titles every year with Vigen? 1 out of 6 isn't "every year" last time i checked....
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

I think there are those who would rather watch things slowly burn down with Coach Vigen than compete for titles in November every year.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 pm Anyway.. Levi is going to be special. I'm calling it now
He has the physical tools to go to the NFL.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:01 pm
I think there are those who would rather watch things slowly burn down with Coach Vigen than compete for titles in November every year.
Yeah, it makes literally no sense. Things cannot get worse on offense!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 am
They can get worse quickly! Let inaccurate quarterbacks sling the ball around all game to below average receivers and just see what happens. Perhaps you weren't around for the Bramlett TCU game. I was.

The offense as currently constructed with the young quarterbacks and receiver issues is set up to take advantage of the defensive strengths by not turning the ball over and trying to maintain favorable field position. The turnovers have only occurred when Wyoming was down and tried to air it out (i.e. TVW trying to be hero throwing it cross body across the field).
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 am
They can get worse quickly! Let inaccurate quarterbacks sling the ball around all game to below average receivers and just see what happens. Perhaps you weren't around for the Bramlett TCU game. I was.

The offense as currently constructed with the young quarterbacks and receiver issues is set up to take advantage of the defensive strengths by not turning the ball over and trying to maintain favorable field position. The turnovers have only occurred when Wyoming was down and tried to air it out (i.e. TVW trying to be hero throwing it cross body across the field).
BuT wHo’S iN cHaRgE oF oFfeNsE?
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

PokeTransplant wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:33 pm
We've competed for titles every year with Vigen? 1 out of 6 isn't "every year" last time i checked....
We weren't out of the hunt this year until TVW threw that ball on the run, across his body, into the middle of the field near the end of the USU game. We were absolutely competing for a championship in overtime in Boise. That game was the second weekend of November.

I think we have seen enough from young Mr. Williams to think that he has a real future here as he grows, matures, and gains experience. I don't think he will need to wait until Chambers and TVW are gone before he becomes "The Guy."
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

WyoExpat wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:03 pm
We weren't out of the hunt this year until TVW threw that ball on the run, across his body, into the middle of the field near the end of the USU game. We were absolutely competing for a championship in overtime in Boise. That game was the second weekend of November.

I think we have seen enough from young Mr. Williams to think that he has a real future here as he grows, matures, and gains experience. I don't think he will need to wait until Chambers and TVW are gone before he becomes "The Guy."
I still think Chambers is they guy ( if healthy). Watched the Oklahoma Baylor game and a good running qb it's just really hard to stop in college football. Jaylen hurts was good for 5+ yards every time he decided to run.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

307bball wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:27 pm

I still think Chambers is they guy ( if healthy). Watched the Oklahoma Baylor game and a good running qb it's just really hard to stop in college football. Jaylen hurts was good for 5+ yards every time he decided to run.
I have no doubt he has the charisma and leadership to be the guy. He has to develop something that resembles touch. I cringed in fear every time it was clear he was going to throw because his throws were so unpredictable. It was like rolling the dice every time. He absolutely has the head to be the guy though.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

307bball wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Levi can run it, too. From his short time on the field, it looks like he might have better finesse and accuracy throwing than Chambers.

Obviously TVW does not have the talent we need at QB. It’ll be interesting to see who starts next season. Personally, I’d like to see Levi take it for four seasons.