Levi Williams

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:25 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:13 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:09 pm Levi Williams is the real deal! Poise in the pocket and very mobile. Him and Chambers on the same team is going to be a great few years!!
Well, I mean, an incredibly small sample size in the passing game. He threw a screen and was poised in the pocket on his ONE other throw. Was a good first impression.

Tough as nails.

Was pretty much used as a runner, like Chambers.
Yea small sample size but very telling IMO. He looks to be as fast as Chambers but not quite as physical. However, on his two throws, he showed patience and didn’t throw an uncatchable missile. I might like the idea of a rotating QB system with Chambers and Williams and with a lot of QB designed runs and RPOs.
Thoughts on the 'what if' scenario of using Chambers as a do-it-all Taysom Hill with the Saints kinda thing?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:30 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:25 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:13 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:09 pm Levi Williams is the real deal! Poise in the pocket and very mobile. Him and Chambers on the same team is going to be a great few years!!
Well, I mean, an incredibly small sample size in the passing game. He threw a screen and was poised in the pocket on his ONE other throw. Was a good first impression.

Tough as nails.

Was pretty much used as a runner, like Chambers.
Yea small sample size but very telling IMO. He looks to be as fast as Chambers but not quite as physical. However, on his two throws, he showed patience and didn’t throw an uncatchable missile. I might like the idea of a rotating QB system with Chambers and Williams and with a lot of QB designed runs and RPOs.
Thoughts on the 'what if' scenario of using Chambers as a do-it-all Taysom Hill with the Saints kinda thing?
Great idea! Unstoppable honestly.
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

Levi seems to have the it factor that TVW doesn't have. He looked good running the RPO and stood up to pressure to complete a huge pass to Conway. TVW seems to be a great kid and a serviceable backup but doesn't have the leadership quality
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

nashvillepoke wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:33 pm Levi seems to have the it factor that TVW doesn't have. He looked good running the RPO and stood up to pressure to complete a huge pass to Conway. TVW seems to be a great kid and a serviceable backup but doesn't have the leadership quality
I agree but I don’t think TVW is all that far from being a decent QB. He needs to learn some touch and to climb the pocket when he feels pressure. As soon as anyone is near him, he panics. Maybe he could learn? Who knows. I think throwing with some touch could be something he could learn fairy easy. Keeping his eyes downfield and stepping up is a little more difficult. He’s definitely less dynamic with his legs but he needs to settle down
W-Y, Until I Die!
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

laxwyo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:45 pm
nashvillepoke wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:33 pm Levi seems to have the it factor that TVW doesn't have. He looked good running the RPO and stood up to pressure to complete a huge pass to Conway. TVW seems to be a great kid and a serviceable backup but doesn't have the leadership quality
I agree but I don’t think TVW is all that far from being a decent QB. He needs to learn some touch and to climb the pocket when he feels pressure. As soon as anyone is near him, he panics. Maybe he could learn? Who knows. I think throwing with some touch could be something he could learn fairy easy. Keeping his eyes downfield and stepping up is a little more difficult. He’s definitely less dynamic with his legs but he needs to settle down
And maybe not getting sacked for 8 yard losses in the moments when that is literally the only thing you CAN'T do.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

TVW has some skill but we are so predictable that teams know what looks to bring us in all situations. We rarely pass on supposed running downs and our scheme is so vanilla and poor that we are constantly looking at 3rd and long or he drops back and the WR are in a crowd. He makes mistakes but keep in mind, in amount of games, he is still somewhat of a freshman so it's hard especially when you have a coaching staff who sucks at developing offensive players and has a playbook from Laramie Middle School.

Josh Allen was a great playmaker off of broken plays. He was risky and a gunslinger and got away with a ton of stuff that QBS normally don't in college. Against P5 teams, he struggled because their defense was better than MWC teams and our scheme was too predictable to trick the other team and get players in space.

Levi is another Chambers and I don't expect to see him be effective at Wyoming because of our coaching and scheme. At best, until changes are made, Wyoming will be 3rd in the division and 7-5 or 6-6 tops. Our magical years will be 8-4 and a New Mexico Bowl game.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:08 am TVW has some skill but we are so predictable that teams know what looks to bring us in all situations. We rarely pass on supposed running downs and our scheme is so vanilla and poor that we are constantly looking at 3rd and long or he drops back and the WR are in a crowd. He makes mistakes but keep in mind, in amount of games, he is still somewhat of a freshman so it's hard especially when you have a coaching staff who sucks at developing offensive players and has a playbook from Laramie Middle School.

Josh Allen was a great playmaker off of broken plays. He was risky and a gunslinger and got away with a ton of stuff that QBS normally don't in college. Against P5 teams, he struggled because their defense was better than MWC teams and our scheme was too predictable to trick the other team and get players in space.

Levi is another Chambers and I don't expect to see him be effective at Wyoming because of our coaching and scheme. At best, until changes are made, Wyoming will be 3rd in the division and 7-5 or 6-6 tops. Our magical years will be 8-4 and a New Mexico Bowl game.
Some of you must be a real joy to be around. Wyoming beats CSU for the 4th straight year, brings in a true freshman QB that shows great promise and all you can do is find ridiculous reasons to complain. I suppose thanksgiving will go something like this ‘the turkey was really good this year but this is as good as it gets and it’s unlikely to improve with aunt Beth cooking it every year, fml...everything sucks boohoo.’

I’m damn optimistic for this team. Because I think this team does go 8-4 this year and hell no do I think this is the best this team and staff is going to do.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

I'm excited to see more of Levi. Love Chambers, but he still has issues with his pass game. If Levi can bring that back to our offense, we'll be in a much better position.

The future is bright with this program.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

It'll be interesting to see how QB shakes out in the coming years. Levi played well. Sean would have rushed for 150 on these guys
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:44 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:24 am First off we would have won that game by at least two TDs if Sean played. fml. Sean would have run for 250 on those fools. No joke.

Secondly, TWV has heart and passion like I've seen in few players. I'll always appreciate how he hustled and ran that guys down after his pick and tackled him on the two. That shows he gives a crap. But it's not working out. He throws some beautiful passes followed by some questionable ones. I blame Vigen. Vigen has a special and uncommon talent for making QBs regress. Hell, like others have said, a generational talent like Josh Allen struggled mightily under his poop tutelage.

Thirdly, I think Levi deserves a chance at some point this season. Not sure when the right time to do it is, but I do think it needs to happen. I want Tyler so bad to lead us to a good ending, but I just don't see it.
TVW is a good example of how a quarterback has to be superman for the offense to succeed. He has some of the tools of a good college quarterback but he isn't nearly special enough. For this offense every single passing attempt feels like a whole adventure and it has for years. I think we take fewer easy completions than any team in college football. The only difference is that we had Josh Allen who could run back and forth in the pocket and then throw a 50 yard frozen rope to the endzone. Same for Chambers except that he can realistically break an 80 yard touchdown run. If you can't do either of these you're poop out of luck playing QB for Vigen and Bohl.
As we discuss how this staff can't develop players or really coach on game day, how many of us are winning to look at objective, quantifiable data?

For example, how many of Nick Saban's quarterbacks were top 10 draft picks and are starting for NFL teams? How many quarterbacks that went through the Bohl/Vigen system are there that were top 10 picks and NFL starters?

Know what I like best about our crew now? The lines are dominant, even when starters go down for the season. Also, both our offense and defense feel like they can close the door on teams once they have a lead. We have had many, many teams that we knew could not do so.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

J-Bone wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:01 am Love Chambers, but he still has issues with his pass game. If Levi can bring that back to our offense, we'll be in a much better position.
Improving the pass game: It won't happen with current staff. It didn't happen when Allen was here. He had to get in the pros before tutelage about passing. About this, read the article in the front page sports section of todays Denver Post about Allen.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

WyoExpat wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 am
Poke in New England wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:44 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:24 am First off we would have won that game by at least two TDs if Sean played. fml. Sean would have run for 250 on those fools. No joke.

Secondly, TWV has heart and passion like I've seen in few players. I'll always appreciate how he hustled and ran that guys down after his pick and tackled him on the two. That shows he gives a crap. But it's not working out. He throws some beautiful passes followed by some questionable ones. I blame Vigen. Vigen has a special and uncommon talent for making QBs regress. Hell, like others have said, a generational talent like Josh Allen struggled mightily under his poop tutelage.

Thirdly, I think Levi deserves a chance at some point this season. Not sure when the right time to do it is, but I do think it needs to happen. I want Tyler so bad to lead us to a good ending, but I just don't see it.
TVW is a good example of how a quarterback has to be superman for the offense to succeed. He has some of the tools of a good college quarterback but he isn't nearly special enough. For this offense every single passing attempt feels like a whole adventure and it has for years. I think we take fewer easy completions than any team in college football. The only difference is that we had Josh Allen who could run back and forth in the pocket and then throw a 50 yard frozen rope to the endzone. Same for Chambers except that he can realistically break an 80 yard touchdown run. If you can't do either of these you're poop out of luck playing QB for Vigen and Bohl.
As we discuss how this staff can't develop players or really coach on game day, how many of us are winning to look at objective, quantifiable data?

For example, how many of Nick Saban's quarterbacks were top 10 draft picks and are starting for NFL teams? How many quarterbacks that went through the Bohl/Vigen system are there that were top 10 picks and NFL starters?

Know what I like best about our crew now? The lines are dominant, even when starters go down for the season. Also, both our offense and defense feel like they can close the door on teams once they have a lead. We have had many, many teams that we knew could not do so.
That's my point though - Allen and Wentz are, for schools like NDSU and Wyoming, a once in a generation type prospect. Both of them had success with Bohl and Vigen because they were elite athletes and could make superman type plays. I'm saying that the problem is if you don't have that that type of guy but don't adjust your offensive plan accordingly.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Back to the topic at hand, I was encouraged by William's focus, courage, and toughness and the quality of his throws.

Is he the most talented run/pass combination quarterback of the three?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

WyoExpat wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:39 pm Back to the topic at hand, I was encouraged by William's focus, courage, and toughness and the quality of his throws.

Is he the most talented run/pass combination quarterback of the three?
I think undoubtedly, yes. Look at his stats from his senior year playing 6A Football in Texas.
3,239 Passing yards and 32 touchdown passes. 1,230 Rushing yards and 16 rushing TDs for a total of 4,469 yards and 48 TDs.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:54 am
Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:08 am TVW has some skill but we are so predictable that teams know what looks to bring us in all situations. We rarely pass on supposed running downs and our scheme is so vanilla and poor that we are constantly looking at 3rd and long or he drops back and the WR are in a crowd. He makes mistakes but keep in mind, in amount of games, he is still somewhat of a freshman so it's hard especially when you have a coaching staff who sucks at developing offensive players and has a playbook from Laramie Middle School.

Some of you must be a real joy to be around. Wyoming beats CSU for the 4th straight year, brings in a true freshman QB that shows great promise and all you can do is find ridiculous reasons to complain. I suppose thanksgiving will go something like this ‘the turkey was really good this year but this is as good as it gets and it’s unlikely to improve with aunt Beth cooking it every year, fml...everything sucks boohoo.’

I’m damn optimistic for this team. Because I think this team does go 8-4 this year and hell no do I think this is the best this team and staff is going to do.
Its absolutely pathetic the mindset some of these dudes have. They are clueless what it takes to compete at the D1 level. This team is well on track. Just looking at the o and d lines this team is only going to get more dominant. We havnt had anything remotely close to this kind of depth across the board in well over 20 years. This is a team full of wining attitudes. They fix their mistakes they don't bitch about them.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

Lol.... yeah that depth is really helping our offense. I guess experts of the D1 must see a great offense out there. A kindergarten kid can tell that all our losses are due to our offense..... same story that never changes because our head coach won't do what is necessary.

The idea is to outscore your opponent. What will Bohl do to get the team to the next level? I know what it takes.... and it starts with having a set.....
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

J-Bone wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:01 am I'm excited to see more of Levi. Love Chambers, but he still has issues with his pass game. If Levi can bring that back to our offense, we'll be in a much better position.

The future is bright with this program.
Don't say that too loud here, everyone would rather bitch and moan than smile that we beat the sheep for the 4th time in a row
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

“These guys can’t develop players”

They’ve literally taken mostly no name recruits and put together the best 4 year run in 20 years. Gtf out of here. You act like we’re winning despite the coaching. Don’t you all remember what bad coaching looks like? I do. You can also gander down to ft fart to see a program that has poor coaching because they probably have a lot more talent than us.
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Those that have an issue with Vigen, are pointing out that the QBs seem to regress under him. Develop bad habits.

No one has said anything about the rest. Though for awhile, we were wondering what the WR coach was teaching his guys, but they've stepped it up lately. The rest of the team, no one has had any issues with the development. Just the QBs. In fact, everyone is excited for the development of the payers, including the lines.

But the QBs... You watch the highlight reels of these guys coming out of high school. They throw the ball with touch and power, but able to hit their guys in stride. After a year or so under Vigen, they're throwing rockets on short passes, grounding the ball at an open receiver's feet, or overthrowing the top of their jump height by 3 feet or so. Which was a major issue when Josh was here as well. But after two years with an actual QB coach, he's finally able to showcase his talent as a top QB. Including the short pass.