We're going to end this season at 6-6

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

WyoExpat wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:05 pm This trend makes me think of Nebraska fans in the 1990s. They were fielding dominant, national championship teams year in and year out. Yet they were complaining about the style of play and offensive philosophy.

This board complains about the coaching ineptitude. Yet, they came here from a dominant program that they built from scratch. Has anyone noticed how they completely adjusted their philosophy to accommodate Chambers in the season after they had Josh Allen? Now TVW is playing and the offense is clearly different to accommodate his strengths.

The other thing I see from us is that we are dominating along the lines and have proven we have more depth than I thought we did. This coaching staff isn't just cobbling together one good team. It has put together a program built on the pieces of football that are the most difficult to build. There aren't any smoke and mirrors involved in this team's record. I think our problem is that we aren't used to having a team that is so solid in the elements don't handle the ball. We actually have a next man who can step up at every position on the field (except maybe the wide receivers). That is new for us.

Without even analyzing the schedule and returning players, I am confident that 6-6 is the floor for next season too and that we will be watching meaningful games that will help decide the Mountain Division title in November next year too.
There is a pattern here - and I don't know where it starts/stops yet.
2014 - First year, busy with another team (NDSU), miss a year of recruiting (early in the year). Doesn't run anyone off that wants to stay. 4-8 season. Complete switch of scheme. Lots of attrition.

2015 2-10. Brutal year. First season of recruits. RS freshman from 2015 are graduating this year. Attrition, but not as much.

2016 8-6. Offense really starts clicking. Nothing flashy, but Brian Hill and Josh Allen keep the offense balanced. Last year of Stanard defense.

2017 8-5. Not uch of a running game this year. All the hype behind Allen starts bringing in recruits that we wouldn't have been able to land before. If they fit the system, they are being signed. New defensive coordinator really steps up.

2018 6-6. 3rd winning season in a row, but much of a letdown. Defense steps up, but we can't keep the TOP high enough and score enough to win most games.

2019 7-4 - as of now - 4th winning season in a row. Unheard of in roughly the last 20 years. Offense is more focussed on the run game. Busy developing quarterbacks. Possibly can end the regular season 8-4.

It may be the 6th year in, but the players that have been recruited starting in 2015 are starting to make some noise. 2014 was a lost year. Anyone that joined in 2015 bought in. 2016+ is when this staff was able to pick and chose.

What they are doing is working. Remember when everyone thought the tampa-2 defense wouldn't work here? Its working pretty well right now.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

If I were a high profile lineman recruit, I'd definitely take a long look at Wyoming. Hell, same goes for TE and LB. On offense, you're definitely going to get in shape and learn how to block properly. Similarly, we've turned fairly anonymous recruits into stars defensively as well.

Even though there aren't much experience on the D-Line this season, they've been solid, and by the time he's a senior, I think for example Byrd will have national attention. A little more meat on his bones and some experience, and he's going to wreak havoc on every single down he plays.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

We've got serious program momentum right now
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:47 pm We've got serious program momentum right now
This! We have a program. I am so impressed by how our young defensive linemen stepped up and filled in this year. Our offensive line handled every defensive line except Air Force...and every single player on the 2-deep is back.

Every single quarterback on the roster has a minimum of two years remaining. What we saw this year was very young quarterback play. (I would have loved to have that quarterback from Oklahoma stick around, but he didn't want to wait until Josh Allen left.)

I didn't expect great things from this team this year. I would have been impressed with 8-4. Quarterbacks were too young and unpolished. I expect a great deal from next year's team if we find a couple wideouts and a couple linebackers. I am hoping for 9 wins.

This is what a program looks like. Coach Bohl and staff have elevated our floor. Our ceiling is mostly unlimited.

I also receintly realized that Coach Vigen, whom everyone loves to hate, was at NDSU when Coach Bohl arrived there. Coach Bohl kept him on staff as a holdover from the prior staff. In other words, Coach Vigen was there for every game of Coach Bohl's resume that we based our decision to hire on. That counts for something when we think about the fact that we were hiring a 3-time national championship staff.