Bohl Quote

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Anyone else see this? Slightly condescending imo. We have a crappy offense year after year and it doesn't take a genius to see it. But we are all just little league coaches so what do we know.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:14 am
Anyone else see this? Slightly condescending imo. We have a crappy offense year after year and it doesn't take a genius to see it. But we are all just little league coaches so what do we know.
I agree with his quote and think he is spot on. Offensive philosophy and defensive philosophy are intertwined. For example - you run a spread and your defense is likely to be on the field more and your defensive line is unlikely to be as physical because it isn't facing a successful power run every day in practice.

All the arm chair coordinators we have on this site aren't just questioning the offense but the direction of the program. You can look up my posts as I was not for the Bohl hiring because I didn't think his philosophy would work here in Laramie. I didn't think we would be able to recruit the necessary size and physicality. I was dead wrong; Bohl has this program in the best shape it has been since the mid 90s.

Frankly - it comes down to wins and losses. How you get there and how many points you score don't mean a damn thing. There will be a few rational posters on here but the 'Vigen this' Vigen that' crowd aren't seeing the whole picture and this is who Craig Bohl is appropriately addressing.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

As a former Little League coach, I resemble that remark.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

Bohl is content with our scheme on offense and that is what will keep us just above .500 and going to the Potato Bowl annually. The sad thing is, arm chair coordinators can watch our offense each week during his tenure and know that our scheme is predictable, vanilla, and mostly the reason we lose games.

Bohl is content with 6-6 and 7-5 and 3rd place. If he wasn't, you'd see changes to our weaknesses. You don't have to be an experienced college football player or coach to identify something lackluster. We have 3 losses this year because we don't change. Instead of Cowboy Tough, we should be called Cowboy Content.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:51 pm Bohl is content with our scheme on offense and that is what will keep us just above .500 and going to the Potato Bowl annually. The sad thing is, arm chair coordinators can watch our offense each week during his tenure and know that our scheme is predictable, vanilla, and mostly the reason we lose games.

Bohl is content with 6-6 and 7-5 and 3rd place. If he wasn't, you'd see changes to our weaknesses. You don't have to be an experienced college football player or coach to identify something lackluster. We have 3 losses this year because we don't change. Instead of Cowboy Tough, we should be called Cowboy Content.
In other words, he doesn't want to win championships! He has no fire in him like Belichick or Saban.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Oredigger, we can still be a physical, pro-style, power running team that has a more interesting, effective and diverse offense than what we are seeing. We flat out need to be scoring more points to get where we could be as a program. For the record, I love Bohl and am excited about the future. Bohl has a track record of choosing good, impactful replacements when a position group is under-performing (Standard, O line coach). Bohl is a first time D-1 head coach and he's had to make adjustment along the way and has made them very well. I just can't see why he won't pull the trigger and make an adjustment with the offense coordinator/playcalling. It's weird
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Listing in order from 2014 to this year....
MWC Mtn div rankings
6, 6, t1, 3, 3, ?
TOP national
17, 45, 35, 116, 59, 51
Total D national
89, 91, 104, 23, 19, 53
Total O
81, 100, 48, 125, 118, 102

Won't argue with Bohl on specifics but numbers don't lie. The O is holding this team back and it's not TOP. TOP is not correlated to d ranking or wins.

The defensive side has shown fantastic improvement and stability. The trend on offense is not good. Plays? Players? Coaches? I don't know but it is clear that the O is the problem. My guess is that he knows it and isn't about to throw anyone under the bus mid-season. I don't know if/ how he'll address it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Well if anyone is an authority on terrible offenses it’s him since his butt buddy puts one out on the field every season.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:51 pm Bohl is content with our scheme on offense and that is what will keep us just above .500 and going to the Potato Bowl annually. The sad thing is, arm chair coordinators can watch our offense each week during his tenure and know that our scheme is predictable, vanilla, and mostly the reason we lose games.

The most laughable part was when he questioned when Boise said they knew what was coming on that fourth down play and seemed incredulous. Everybody watching that game knew what was coming.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Did he include Boise's DC in that quote. Harsin came out and said they knew exactly what play they were going to run based on how they lined up because of tape and what they had run in the game. I'd say that is a glaring issue in your play calling scheme...
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

HR_Poke wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:55 pm Did he include Boise's DC in that quote. Harsin came out and said they knew exactly what play they were going to run based on how they lined up because of tape and what they had run in the game. I'd say that is a glaring issue in your play calling scheme...
At this point in a season is there any surprise left for any team? In this day and age, programs have incredible amount of data on personell groupings and tendencies. Knowing what is coming is pretty much the base level .... Everybody "knows" what Alabama is going to do ... doesn't mean you can stop it. Air force is actually a pretty good example of this. A couple years ago somebody was analyzing AFA triple option (this probably applies to most triple option teams)...basically they run four plays 90+ % of the time with very small wrinkles in angle of attack of the blocking. It was pointed out that this is very common even for non-triple option teams. The good teams get you to over-commit to stopping those 90% of plays and that is when you burn them.

For teams w/reputation of being "tricky" (like BSU) ... they are more likely to be just very good at executing the "set up" plays. If teams can stop an offense w/base defenses ... all the creativity in play-calling in the world will not help. The "trick" play only works if you have consistency on the non "trick" plays.

By all indications BSU was selling out to keep our run game from going off. Late in the fourth quarter would have been a great time to throw a changeup....that being said....3rd and one is probably north of 80% conversion rate with our vanilla play-calls.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

307bball wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:01 pm
HR_Poke wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:55 pm Did he include Boise's DC in that quote. Harsin came out and said they knew exactly what play they were going to run based on how they lined up because of tape and what they had run in the game. I'd say that is a glaring issue in your play calling scheme...
At this point in a season is there any surprise left for any team? In this day and age, programs have incredible amount of data on personell groupings and tendencies. Knowing what is coming is pretty much the base level .... Everybody "knows" what Alabama is going to do ... doesn't mean you can stop it. Air force is actually a pretty good example of this. A couple years ago somebody was analyzing AFA triple option (this probably applies to most triple option teams)...basically they run four plays 90+ % of the time with very small wrinkles in angle of attack of the blocking. It was pointed out that this is very common even for non-triple option teams. The good teams get you to over-commit to stopping those 90% of plays and that is when you burn them.

For teams w/reputation of being "tricky" (like BSU) ... they are more likely to be just very good at executing the "set up" plays. If teams can stop an offense w/base defenses ... all the creativity in play-calling in the world will not help. The "trick" play only works if you have consistency on the non "trick" plays.

By all indications BSU was selling out to keep our run game from going off. Late in the fourth quarter would have been a great time to throw a changeup....that being said....3rd and one is probably north of 80% conversion rate with our vanilla play-calls.
To take this one step further, if we think about it, 1 yard is only about one step forward from the line of scrimmage. If the entire game under Bohl's system is about wearing down the opponent so that we get more yards in the 4th quarter than we did in the 1st quarter on the same plays against the same defenses, then it is completely reasonable to expect the guys to get that one extra step of push and one extra step from the ball carrier due to blocking and endurance at that point in the game. If one block works a little bit better or someone has just a little bit better positioning or angle, that step is possible and we get the 1st down.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 66 times

In fairness, in the same press conference, Bohl said there some play calls Vigen wished he could do over.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:24 pm In fairness, in the same press conference, Bohl said there some play calls Vigen wished he could do over.
Yeeesh...I bet...could you imagine?? I wouldn't even be able to sleep if i had that job. How can any coach not have hindsight related heartburn after a close loss.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:32 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:24 pm In fairness, in the same press conference, Bohl said there some play calls Vigen wished he could do over.
Yeeesh...I bet...could you imagine?? I wouldn't even be able to sleep if i had that job. How can any coach not have hindsight related heartburn after a close loss.
Yeah I listened to that too. I'm pretty sure that's common in about any field though. You reflect back and say - well, if I had bought that Microsoft stock in 1992......
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
307bball wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:32 pm
Yeah I listened to that too. I'm pretty sure that's common in about any field though. You reflect back and say - well, if I had bought that Microsoft stock in 1992......
Or not gotten stock in Enron. LOL

This why I hate close losses 'cos we coulda won them and be in a better spot to win a conference title for the 1st time since 1988. I was in the 8th grade the last time we were CHAMPIONS! It's sad and pathetic to think about!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

My guess is that we have several plays out of the same look. Remember the TD we had against UNLV when we faked a run up the middle on 3rd and 1 and hit Harshman on the quick seam? Why not do something like that.

Any decent coach with balls would have changed OC's and scheme long ago. Wyoming football will only be as good as Vigen's vanilla strategy. Bohl hasn't brought our team to anything bigger than barely above average.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 66 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:22 pm My guess is that we have several plays out of the same look. Remember the TD we had against UNLV when we faked a run up the middle on 3rd and 1 and hit Harshman on the quick seam? Why not do something like that.

Any decent coach with balls would have changed OC's and scheme long ago. Wyoming football will only be as good as Vigen's vanilla strategy. Bohl hasn't brought our team to anything bigger than barely above average.

I'm guessing (as always) that Vigen has very little confidence in TVW. Most of his completions were short seam routes. I'd like to think the play calling would have been different with Chambers, but who knows? It seems the offense goes into a shell in the 4th quarter no matter who the qb is.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

My favorite quote from that presser. "I don't know how in the hell he knew what play was coming."

Are you kidding me? If I know what's coming while I'm watching the game after getting 4 hrs of sleep 3 nights in a row, having hiked miles and miles that day looking at deer and been awake since 430 am and it's after midnight...You can sure as hell count on a guy that eats, sleeps, and breathes football, has been preparing for that matchup for weeks and is paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year if not more to coach knowing what's coming too.

In all fairness, none of us know the Xs and Os like these guys do. I get that and will admit that readily. But if us little league nobody's can predict what's coming 80% of the time, especially in certain situations, the opposing coaches sure as hell can too.

It's almost like our coaches are so focused on the details that we rightfully can't see that they honestly don't see what's plainly obvious to most of us armchair coaches.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:42 am
I agree with his quote and think he is spot on. Offensive philosophy and defensive philosophy are intertwined. For example - you run a spread and your defense is likely to be on the field more and your defensive line is unlikely to be as physical because it isn't facing a successful power run every day in practice.

All the arm chair coordinators we have on this site aren't just questioning the offense but the direction of the program. You can look up my posts as I was not for the Bohl hiring because I didn't think his philosophy would work here in Laramie. I didn't think we would be able to recruit the necessary size and physicality. I was dead wrong; Bohl has this program in the best shape it has been since the mid 90s.

Frankly - it comes down to wins and losses. How you get there and how many points you score don't mean a damn thing. There will be a few rational posters on here but the 'Vigen this' Vigen that' crowd aren't seeing the whole picture and this is who Craig Bohl is appropriately addressing.
I agree with this. I also wasn't a fan of Bohls style(and still aren't when it comes to watching non-UW football) but I have come around. Vigen's offense is Bohl's offense. Its his strategy you can't distinguish the two. BOhl is building this team for the offensive line to punish the defense esspecialy as the game wears on. He is finally getting to that point after several years(and we have many injuries to some of our best O-linemen). And they are all young. When we have the line we will have the next several years this style of play calling works. It wears down the D especially if they know what is coming and still can't stop it.
Now I am not claiming I love every play call and would be upset if some changes were made on the offensive side of the ball but there have been games that Vigen has called a pretty great game and other times a pretty great game is marred by a bad call or bad execution of a play. We should pick up 1 yard even if they know what is coming with our line.
I don't believe vigen is going anywhere this offseason so we may as well get used to it and hope that he grows and learns from certain situations as a playcaller. But overall I am fine with him as the OC as it plays into the entire game plan even if sometimes I may not be in the moment.