On the bright side, I don't feel Boise has better athletes or football players than us

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

In the past it was obvious that Boise was just superior in every way. Now we are just as big, physical, strong, fast and athletic as they are. There are maybe only a couple position groups that I would trade straight across with them. In the past I'd be like, ''yeah, let's swap teams'' Now? Honestly, no way. I like our players and I think they are better.

The loss still stings, but the program is in a good place and is trending up, despite poor offensive play calling and production.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

100% agree!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Boise State is a really good football team. One that is being massively dragged down by one of the conference's worst offensive lines. If they could give Bachmeier decent protection (which they can't), that wide receiver group would feast.

Wyoming is dominant in the trenches. That can mask a lot of other shortcomings. Conversely, as Boise as illustrated, not being good in the trenches (or a least one side) can anchor an entire team.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I would murder a baby to get their WRs on this team
W-Y, Until I Die!
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

Boise State still has the Mountain West Conference by the nuts in football. They are the bar and the consistent program that we would love to have. They traditionally compete for the title of the conference, rarely lose many conference games, have a history of beating P5 teams and are annually in the talk for the NY6 games. They are the New England Patriots of our league and they recruit players that fit the mold of belief that they will win.

Having said all this, I would love to have our team reach that level of confidence but we are miles away. We are the conservative, don't make a mistake, prevent defense, 7-5, 6-6, 7-5 Potato Bowl kinda team with the funky colors. We can beat Missouri but melt against the likes of San Diego State and Tulsa. We see a 3 point loss to Boise State as progress instead of the full team meltdown it was.

This is who we are and Boise is who they are. One team flirts with big things and one is content with 3rd place. The players on the field look the same but the mindset is the difference and our conservatism will keep us here. Hate me if you must but prove me wrong first.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

It was nice to see us match up with Boise, looked as big and strong, compared to years past, im thinking this game will help us win on the smurf turf more often in the future, we dont need to be worried or concerned with them any more, but we do need them to win out to try to make a new years 6 bowl for more $ for the conference
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

I was very impressed with the way the Pokes played. Should have won the game, naturally but I really believe the Cowboys are just as good as Boise.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 12 times

The thing about Boise State is, they are consistently a winning team. They are in the rankings almost every year and make a bowl game almost every year. We've gone to a bowl game two of the past three years, which has been great, and I know we were eligible last year but no game... but the years prior: 2-10, 4-8, 5-7, 4-8... then a bowl game. It seems like we have shown the trend it takes a few years to put a decent team together that wins games over history. But I like that we are getting better players lately. I don't know if Bohl is the long-term answer, but Boise has had 4 coaches since 1998 (Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins, Chris Petersen, and now Bryan Harsin) still won. Bryan Harsin is 60-16 in six seasons. Maybe we need a monumental win like Boise had over OU in the Fiesta Bowl to turn into a program like them? We are on the right track though.
USU78
Buckaroo

You give me hope for our outing against the Boazybunch a week from Saturday in Logan. Your kids sure gave them as much as anybody possibly could. They're just so used to winning, they know how better than any of the rest of us.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

USU78 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:42 am You give me hope for our outing against the Boazybunch a week from Saturday in Logan. Your kids sure gave them as much as anybody possibly could. They're just so used to winning, they know how better than any of the rest of us.
I think the donks are slightly overrated. I would think USU should at least keep is close, but the aggies have been very inconsistent this year. Never know what you're going to get with them.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:14 am The thing about Boise State is, they are consistently a winning team. They are in the rankings almost every year and make a bowl game almost every year. We've gone to a bowl game two of the past three years, which has been great, and I know we were eligible last year but no game... but the years prior: 2-10, 4-8, 5-7, 4-8... then a bowl game. It seems like we have shown the trend it takes a few years to put a decent team together that wins games over history. But I like that we are getting better players lately. I don't know if Bohl is the long-term answer, but Boise has had 4 coaches since 1998 (Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins, Chris Petersen, and now Bryan Harsin) still won. Bryan Harsin is 60-16 in six seasons. Maybe we need a monumental win like Boise had over OU in the Fiesta Bowl to turn into a program like them? We are on the right track though.
I agree, we are obviously on the right track. We are BSu's equal, and not just a team with some gimmicks that almost put up enough points this year to get it done. If these two teams played 10 times this year, I believe we win half of the games and they win half.

I also believe that Coach Bohl is the answer. If we think about it, our team strengths are the areas that programs have the most difficulty trying to build. Often teams go find some dynamic stars at the skill positions and hope to get one good year out of a line before graduation. We dominate in the trenches and we are doing it with underclassmen. This team is the reflection of a program that has been built for the long haul. I am more convinced than ever that, as long as this coaching staff is in place, we have will be a factor in the MWC Mountain Division race every November and I expect us to receive national Top 25 votes each year.

We haven't been predictably competitive since the Tiller era.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:24 pm I would murder a baby to get their WRs on this team
No baby, but I have a 23 year old step daughter that won't move out of my damn house.😂
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

phxpoke wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:44 pm
laxwyo wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:24 pm I would murder a baby to get their WRs on this team
No baby, but I have a 23 year old step daughter that won't move out of my damn house.😂
I'd take one for the team and sacrifice my MIL
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 12 times

WyoExpat wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:34 pm
WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:14 am The thing about Boise State is, they are consistently a winning team. They are in the rankings almost every year and make a bowl game almost every year. We've gone to a bowl game two of the past three years, which has been great, and I know we were eligible last year but no game... but the years prior: 2-10, 4-8, 5-7, 4-8... then a bowl game. It seems like we have shown the trend it takes a few years to put a decent team together that wins games over history. But I like that we are getting better players lately. I don't know if Bohl is the long-term answer, but Boise has had 4 coaches since 1998 (Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins, Chris Petersen, and now Bryan Harsin) still won. Bryan Harsin is 60-16 in six seasons. Maybe we need a monumental win like Boise had over OU in the Fiesta Bowl to turn into a program like them? We are on the right track though.
I agree, we are obviously on the right track. We are BSu's equal, and not just a team with some gimmicks that almost put up enough points this year to get it done. If these two teams played 10 times this year, I believe we win half of the games and they win half.

I also believe that Coach Bohl is the answer. If we think about it, our team strengths are the areas that programs have the most difficulty trying to build. Often teams go find some dynamic stars at the skill positions and hope to get one good year out of a line before graduation. We dominate in the trenches and we are doing it with underclassmen. This team is the reflection of a program that has been built for the long haul. I am more convinced than ever that, as long as this coaching staff is in place, we have will be a factor in the MWC Mountain Division race every November and I expect us to receive national Top 25 votes each year.

We haven't been predictably competitive since the Tiller era.
Yep, and I think the broadcasters made mention of that during the Boise game. WYO is surely a factor. We aren't out of it yet, either, just need to take care of business and receive help.

Bohl may be it. I think he needs to be consistent and set a minimum every year to make a bowl game. We are capable of it.