NM Game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Well...First half...pretty lackluster. Offense continues to struggle in high-leverage passing situations. Opportunistic defense is nice to have.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Nice drive there...Rothe continues his slide to a below average kicker.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

What's going on with Cooper this year? Last year he was clutch, this year he's all over the place.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

CowboyNV wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:57 pm What's going on with Cooper this year? Last year he was clutch, this year he's all over the place.
Agree very surprising. I expected him to be basically automatic this year and instead even a pat is now questionable
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Man...UNM QB is nothing special but he's got a couple WR's that will get after it...I'd rather have Chambers but Give me some WR's with a mentality to get the ball like UNM any day. That whole drive was just picking on Hall...Hall saved the TD but they went down the field on him.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Great drive there...that is what the offense looks like when it works. Hammer them with the run game until they are so tuned in to it that you get a guy so open even Chambers can hit him..Ha!
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Aaaaand the defense continues it's tradition of giving up long 4th quarter TD drives.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

307bball wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:40 pm Aaaaand the defense continues it's tradition of giving up long 4th quarter TD drives.
Yep, starting to look like a bad habit.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

23-10, Pokes. Chambers and Valladay both with over 100 yards on the ground. And Chambers wasn't bad throwing it today.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

All in all...went about like I thought it would. UNM is not very good this season. Wyoming missed some opportunities but our over-all strength at the line of scrimmage carried the day.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Comfortable win. Nice job pokes. Need a win next week as well before we hit the toughest stretch of the season.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Chambers had fewer bad throws today, but Okwoli actually hung on to the ball a couple of times, which helped. Also, we used our TEs more. What drives me nuts is that we still have those throws out to the perimeter on third down where the receiver never goes to the first down marker, so even if they catch it, they have no room to make the tackler miss so they can get a first down. Like, why is that even part of our playbook on third and long? I could see it going for 7 on first down or something, but third? WTF?

It's difficult to remember that Chambers is still a freshman, however. If he gets more comfortable throwing it, we could actually have a decent offense. The defense is far better than I expected considering how young we are.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:14 pm Chambers had fewer bad throws today, but Okwoli actually hung on to the ball a couple of times, which helped. Also, we used our TEs more. What drives me nuts is that we still have those throws out to the perimeter on third down where the receiver never goes to the first down marker, so even if they catch it, they have no room to make the tackler miss so they can get a first down. Like, why is that even part of our playbook on third and long? I could see it going for 7 on first down or something, but third? WTF?

It's difficult to remember that Chambers is still a freshman, however. If he gets more comfortable throwing it, we could actually have a decent offense. The defense is far better than I expected considering how young we are.
Chambers is a freshman and getting better every game. I was looking at the depth chart at the game, and our offense is young overall. We are getting there!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

If chambers and the WRs can build on today, we’ll be looking fairly decent for the rest of the year.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:51 pm If chambers and the WRs can build on today, we’ll be looking fairly decent for the rest of the year.
Yeah, and though Harshman is gone after this year, Marcotte is like an extra O-Lineman when blocking. AND he's got awesome hands as well. I hope Nate Weinman can become a receiving threat as well. Having two 6'7 TEs who can catch the ball would be a nightmare for defenses.

I'd argue our younger O-linemen are the best ones as well. Crum had a great game today (and how can you not love a successful freshman from freaking Laramie?), and we all saw what losing Abojei meant last week, despite just being a Sophomore. Cryder and Arnold are just sophomores too.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

QB
Chambers Rfr
Vander Waal So

RB
Valladay So
Swen Fr

FB
Miller Jr
Watson Sr

WR-Z
Conway Sr
Crow Jr

WR-F
Rocket Sr
Weiland Rfr

WR-X
Okwoli Sr
Eberhardt Jr
Gentry So

TE-Y
Harshman Rsr
Marcotte Rfr

LT
Stoger So
Crum Rfr

LG
Arnold So
Baker Rfr

C
Cryder So
Bible Fr

RG
Harris Jr
Baker Rfr

RT
Valazquez Jr
Dunayski So

We are losing some WR's this year...but that could be a chance to get chambers and a young crew some repertoire.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

We are also getting back a couple good, proven OL in Zach Watts and Gavin Rush. And of course you don't have Abojei mentioned, either. Also there's a coulel freshmen OL that I thought we'd see this year, but guess not. The OL looks like it's going to be loaded for years to come.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Not always purdy but doesn't always hafta be
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:31 pm We are also getting back a couple good, proven OL in Zach Watts and Gavin Rush. And of course you don't have Abojei mentioned, either. Also there's a coulel freshmen OL that I thought we'd see this year, but guess not. The OL looks like it's going to be loaded for years to come.
Good solid lines, a good running game, and a passing game that can significantly improve, I think we will be in good shape.

We re going to need it though - losing Halliburton, T Hall, Wilson, Maluia and J Hall all on the defensive side. Dickert seems to be doing pretty good with the defense, but I'd certainly feel a bit better if we still had Hazelton next year.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Really good defensive performance and made the offensive plays when needed them.

The win is all that matters. Great job POKES.

I too thought Chambers was a bit better today, but his accuracy is just questionable even on some of the completions. I thought there were some nice play calls by Vigen but didn't materialize because of poor execution. It seems like the playcalling can't get a rhythm in the passing game because of the accuracy problems and/or drops. Love his competitive attitude and tough running.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.