NM Game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Good workmanlike effort from the kids today. Overall I liked most of what I saw. Congrats to the Pokes on being 5-2. On to the next one and bowl eligibility.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I got to looking at our stats so far this season after the game and I have a few more things I want to look into as a result. The first thing that stood out to me in looking at our stats is time of possession. We're darn near dead even on TOP, but opposing teams have a slight advantage thus far. Not good. Too many 3 and outs, and too many sustained drives against our defense, especially late in games. All this running the ball is supposed to give us an edge in TOP, but it's clearly not working.

Rushing yards vs passing yds. I think we have around 800 passing yds through 7 games...yikes. Rushing yds are more than double that. Got to me to wondering... how many of those rushing yds are actually on passing plays where Chambers scrambled. Im thinking Chambers scrambles on passing plays account for probably 7-10 percent of our overall rushing yds. That's significant.

Also, what is our median rushing play? Our overall rushing yds and avg per carry are good, but those numbers are boosted significantly by a few long runs we manage to bust each game. We had way too many no gains and 1 and 2 yd gains today, and in past games, and that's the big problem that's causing us to not win in the TOP battle and have so many 3 and outs. If we could actually get 3 or 4 yds on the median rushing play, we'd be killing it offensively. But we get stuffed for no gain or 1-2 yds way too often for a team that is so committed to the run game.

Overall, happy with the win today, don't mean to be negative, but we have some real problems we need to fix still.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson