XFL Draft

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

https://www.wyomingnewsnow.tv/content/n ... 51382.html

I’m excited to see what Tanner Gentry can do! I never felt that he got a fair shake in the NFL and that he was better than many of the Bears receivers over the past few years.

Biggest surprise - Ghaifan is not selected despite being listed as a player eligible for the draft. I’m wondering if the XFL is staying away from players with criminal convictions because Ghaifan has the talent IMO.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I wonder if this league will last longer than the AAF or whatever it was
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:58 pm I wonder if this league will last longer than the AAF or whatever it was
Yea it will almost undoubtedly because it merely needs to make it through 1 season to surpass the AAF. The AAF had very shaky financing from the beginning and was based on a model of expected investment from unknown investors that never materialized. The XFL is financed by deep pockets with Vince McMahon who is on the record stating he expects losses in the first few years but that the investment is long term. McMahon sold shares of WWE for this venture. I believe it will be successful this time.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I'm hoping the XFL is drastically different in officiating than the NFL. Now is the time to be the anti-NFL in regards to penalties, replay, targeting, etc. Less rules, Bring on the hard hits, and let's play some damn football.
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cornpoke wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:28 am I'm hoping the XFL is drastically different in officiating than the NFL. Now is the time to be the anti-NFL in regards to penalties, replay, targeting, etc. Less rules, Bring on the hard hits, and let's play some damn football.
I don't want to see that. Players making pennies sacrificing their ability to merely function in the future. I am sure the insurance carriers won't allow this either.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:19 am
Cornpoke wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:28 am I'm hoping the XFL is drastically different in officiating than the NFL. Now is the time to be the anti-NFL in regards to penalties, replay, targeting, etc. Less rules, Bring on the hard hits, and let's play some damn football.
I don't want to see that. Players making pennies sacrificing their ability to merely function in the future. I am sure the insurance carriers won't allow this either.
There are inherent risks with many jobs. Should we no longer allow roofers, loggers, miners, etc. to work or be insured? You accept the risks of the job or don't do it. I'd like to see a return to 90's style football.
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cornpoke wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:26 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:19 am
There are inherent risks with many jobs. Should we no longer allow roofers, loggers, miners, etc. to work or be insured? You accept the risks of the job or don't do it. I'd like to see a return to 90's style football.
Injury risk in football is 100%. Injury risk in the other careers you mention is MUCH MUCH lower. In fact,when you look at the open-pit mining industry, injury risk is now on par with the average desk job due to safety enhancements and the use of modern 'best practices.' All professions that I am aware of have continued to evolve to increase safety. No profession that I am aware of has decided to abandon such enhancements that have been proven effective in limiting injury...why, because no insurance carrier would agree to that and no good boss that cares about their employees' well being would agree to that either.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Open pit mining also pays better...XFL came out and said the average salary will be $55K. Not great for putting your body (and brain) on the line, but im sure most will look at it as a potential stepping stone to the NFL, so they'll be willing to risk it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I was pretty young, but wasn't what killed the original XFL the fact it was just like the NFL, but with lesser players? Wasn't it marketed as a football-professional wrestling hybrid? Then everyone from the players & coaches to the refs took it way too seriously and it folded. Refs were calling stuff like defensive holding, illegal shifts, illegal procedure, offsides on kickoffs and similar tacky stuff that regular people hate about football.

This time around the XFL better not take itself so seriously and better make itself different somehow. The AAF sucked so the XFL better be different.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:53 pm This time around the XFL better not take itself so seriously and better make itself different somehow. The AAF sucked so the XFL better be different.
That is exactly how the XFL needs to approach it. Be the anti-NFL establishment. The first go around for the XFL was doomed as it was too much like the NFL. Now with the constant rule changes and the strict officiating; now could be the time for a league to succeed outside the NFL.
I'm good for 3!