Season's far from over

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Saturday's loss stung particularly bad, but we can still accomplish all our goals. There is still a ton left to play and root for. Yeah, the road gets a lot tougher, but I have faith that we'll at least be in every game including Boise.There is no quit in our team and the baseline athleticism, strength, toughness is finally at a point that we can compete man vs. man with anyone in our conference.

We could be 6-0 at this point if a couple things had gone our way. We have a very young team, and are still performing at a high level. In the past after a few good/OK seasons we would bottom out and suck. Not with this coaching staff.

The defense has been playing really solid (lots of good young players), and the rushing attack has been pretty reliable (young OL bodes well for the future). Passing game needs a complete overhaul (Vigen just can't coach at this level). Anyway, the future is bright and we are going to be a good team for the foreseeable future and with some significant changes on offense we could be up there with Boise, imo. It's half way through the season so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the team
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

We also could just as easily be 2-4 if two plays go different in the Mizzou/Idaho games. We’re essentially a 6-6 team that with a few lucky bounces could be a 7-5 team or few unlucky bounces could be under .500. That is and will be our ceiling with this offense. Hate to break it to you but We aren’t contending for any championships with this offense. That goal is over, unless you think we’re capable of winning out.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

What really bugs me is that Bohl and Vigen seem to care more about identity than winning. Bohl was so happy about rushing for 140 yds or whatever it was against SDSU because it was more than they typically allow. That's all he seemed to care about. I don't want to see Bohl fired, but I also won't accept this poop offense any longer. We could be seriously contending for the MW championship this year if we had any passing game to speak of. Our passing game is the joke of NCAA football right now and it's the only thing holding us back anymore but Bohl and Vigen are too damn bullheaded to do anything about it. If we want to achieve the goal of winning the MW, our recievers coach and Vigen need to go. That's all there is to it at this point.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:05 pm We also could just as easily be 2-4 if two plays go different in the Mizzou/Idaho games. We’re essentially a 6-6 team that with a few lucky bounces could be a 7-5 team or few unlucky bounces could be under .500. That is and will be our ceiling with this offense. Hate to break it to you but We aren’t contending for any championships with this offense. That goal is over, unless you think we’re capable of winning out.
OK. Let's just give up and forfeit the rest of the games. yeesh
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:05 pm We also could just as easily be 2-4 if two plays go different in the Mizzou/Idaho games. We’re essentially a 6-6 team that with a few lucky bounces could be a 7-5 team or few unlucky bounces could be under .500. That is and will be our ceiling with this offense. Hate to break it to you but We aren’t contending for any championships with this offense. That goal is over, unless you think we’re capable of winning out.
If the defense would have stepped up and got stops after the OFFENSE put us ahead late in BOTH our losses this team is 6-0. Make no mistake we are contending for a conference championship. That goal is still very much on the table. I pray to god there isnt anyone on the team that has that sort of loser mentality. I know there isnt.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

This will be an unpopular opinion, but Vigen has his hands tied behind his back with Chambers lack of accuracy. Wyoming would be competing with Boise State if Chambers could complete passes to wide open players. As it is, Vigen is forced to call a run heavy offense since he essentially has a fullback at quarterback.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

DVDA wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:14 pm
This will be an unpopular opinion, but Vigen has his hands tied behind his back with Chambers lack of accuracy. Wyoming would be competing with Boise State if Chambers could complete passes to wide open players. As it is, Vigen is forced to call a run heavy offense since he essentially has a fullback at quarterback.
We have 6 seasons of evidence of what this offense is. Our issues well predate Sean Chambers. Yes his inaccuracy is a problem but we’ve been bad now 5/6 seasons there.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Our recievers are as much to blame as Chambers. He has his bad throws, but the drops/not getting open are accounting for a lot of our passing problems also.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

We have a freshman QB, a freshman RB and a really young (and good) offensive line. We have not come close to seeing the ceiling with this offense. In 2 years, this could be a dominating offense.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

poke_addict wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:10 pm
If the defense would have stepped up and got stops after the OFFENSE put us ahead late in BOTH our losses this team is 6-0. Make no mistake we are contending for a conference championship. That goal is still very much on the table. I pray to god there isnt anyone on the team that has that sort of loser mentality. I know there isnt.
Agreed. There has been absolutely no quit in this team. It is a team that I am proud to support and to watch.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 am
Agreed. There has been absolutely no quit in this team. It is a team that I am proud to support and to watch.
poke_addict, you hit the nail on the head. Of course it is possible to win or lose football games by being terrible or excellent in any face of the game. Acting like the only route to win against SDSU and Tulsa was to just be the last team with the ball and score is idiotic. Wyoming survived Missouri by stopping them on a go-ahead drive late in the fourth...could have happened against Tulsa or SDSU but the boys didn't get it done. Personally I would take the win via late offensive score for the win or the late defensive stop...I'm not at all surprised Wyoming did not score late against Tulsa or SDSU as quick strick offense is not the Pokes' strength...i'm more worried that our Defense gave up late scores in both games...I think they were both long drives to boot!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:06 pm
Are you in the 3d grade? Is everything black and white with you? He didn't say that. What he said was essentially correct. Bohl plays close to the vest - we don't take many chances so we play close games. With his style of play, we don't beat good teams on the road - period. Take the last game. We get the ball to start the second half and we get to 3d and 8. What do we do? Run off tackle and have to punt. If we score there, we almost put the game away. Perhaps were limited by the players we have, but we've been watching this for 5/6 years now. If you want to look past it, fine. But we are far too one dimensional to be a championship team.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:29 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 am
poke_addict, you hit the nail on the head. Of course it is possible to win or lose football games by being terrible or excellent in any face of the game. Acting like the only route to win against SDSU and Tulsa was to just be the last team with the ball and score is idiotic. Wyoming survived Missouri by stopping them on a go-ahead drive late in the fourth...could have happened against Tulsa or SDSU but the boys didn't get it done. Personally I would take the win via late offensive score for the win or the late defensive stop...I'm not at all surprised Wyoming did not score late against Tulsa or SDSU as quick strick offense is not the Pokes' strength...i'm more worried that our Defense gave up late scores in both games...I think they were both long drives to boot!
It is good to see rationality prevail!! We are literally two miracle plays from being undefeated!!

1) Against Tulsa - On 4th down and long on Tulsa's game winning drive, the receiver was blanketed and the throw was a bit high. The receiver pulls in the ball with his finger tips. If this is an incompletion, it is game over and the Pokes win.

2) Against SDSU - On SDSU's game winning drive, QB scrambles on 3rd down and makes an ill-advised throw cross-body into the middle of the field for a touchdown (a field goal would have tied it). This is the 1 in 10 that throw works and isn't picked off. That was a terrible throw that turned out unlucky for the Pokes.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:11 am
Are you in the 3d grade? Is everything black and white with you? He didn't say that. What he said w
Do you have an IQ of 75? Do you understand sarcasm? The tone of his post was trash and deserved a trash response, much like yours does. He basically said the season is over and that we are an extremely average team and there's nothing left to play for. Factually, the season is not over and we can be conference champs and contrary to what you think it's not that far-fetched. We barely lost to the likely champion of the other division on the road and and are likely to win our next two, and likely will beat CSU at home and that means that we have three really tough games that our season rests on. BUT we have a team that could win them, even with our offense in its current state. Furthermore, the conference is tough and it's not a given the mountain division champ will be undefeated, the champ could conceivably have two losses.Yeah, the offense needs work, I said so in my original post, but you are a moron and struggle with reading comprehension. Is it likely to happen? no. But there is a chance and it's worth it for players and fans to be invested in this year's team.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:48 am
Are you in the 3d grade? Is everything black and white with you? He didn't say that. What he said w
Do you have an IQ of 75? Do you understand sarcasm? The tone of his post was trash and deserved a trash response, much like yours does. He basically said the season is over and that we are an extremely average team and there's nothing left to play for. Factually, the season is not over and we can be conference champs and contrary to what you think it's not that far-fetched. We barely lost to the likely champion of the other division on the road and and are likely to win our next two, and likely will beat CSU at home and that means that we have three really tough games that our season rests on. BUT we have a team that could win them, even with our offense in its current state. Furthermore, the conference is tough and it's not a given the mountain division champ will be undefeated, the champ could conceivably have two losses.Yeah, the offense needs work, I said so in my original post, but you are a moron and struggle with reading comprehension.
I may have an IQ of 75. Whatever it is, yours is much lower. He did not say the season is over. He didn't say we have nothing to play for. You said it.
To think, much less post that Boise state is going to lose 2 games in the conference is beyond silly. It's even sillier to think we have a chance to win the division. I don't struggle with reading comprehension. I struggle to understand posts that make no sense. In 6 years of Bohl, we don't beat winning teams on the road. What part of that don't you understand? I think csewe in 2016 is the lone exception. This team isn't that good. Other than Missouri, we beat 3 horrific teams. That makes us a conference contender? Yeah. I'm the moron.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:48 am
Do you have an IQ of 75? Do you understand sarcasm? The tone of his post was trash and deserved a trash response, much like yours does. He basically said the season is over and that we are an extremely average team and there's nothing left to play for. Factually, the season is not over and we can be conference champs and contrary to what you think it's not that far-fetched. We barely lost to the likely champion of the other division on the road and and are likely to win our next two, and likely will beat CSU at home and that means that we have three really tough games that our season rests on. BUT we have a team that could win them, even with our offense in its current state. Furthermore, the conference is tough and it's not a given the mountain division champ will be undefeated, the champ could conceivably have two losses.Yeah, the offense needs work, I said so in my original post, but you are a moron and struggle with reading comprehension.
I may have an IQ of 75. Whatever it is, yours is much lower. He did not say the season is over. He didn't say we have nothing to play for. You said it.
To think, much less post that Boise state is going to lose 2 games in the conference is beyond silly. It's even sillier to think we have a chance to win the division. I don't struggle with reading comprehension. I struggle to understand posts that make no sense. In 6 years of Bohl, we don't beat winning teams on the road. What part of that don't you understand? I think csewe in 2016 is the lone exception. This team isn't that good. Other than Missouri, we beat 3 horrific teams. That makes us a conference contender? Yeah. I'm the moron.
This is the only part of the post that you got right.

What is up with you and calpoke discounting anything good this team does? It's weird. Beating a top 25 team, three others and two fluky, narrow losses on the road to good teams doesn't disqualify us from being a contender in the MWC. Boise has to play us, and USU and CSU on the road. They could absolutely lose two of them. Likely? probably not. But stranger things have happened.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I expect pretty close games the rest of the way. 1 or 2 might get away from us because we might be chasing points.

I know the fanboys get their panties in a bunch but the reality is we have a 1 dimensional offense and the passing game is dysfunctional (place blame wherever). It easier to scheme against when you don't have to worry about the pass. The defense and rushing game are solid. The secondary is the weakest part of the D, so efficient passing teams will be able to move the ball. The WYO culture is awesome...tough kids that don't quit.

The remaining schedule will be interesting. I like the CSU matchup. TX State, UNLV, and Tulsa all rank 108 to 119 in rushing D. Outside of CSU, the remaining opponents rank 52, 45, 42, 30, and 24, so we will consistently face better rushing defenses over the last part of the schedule.

Should be fun to watch with some close games.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

DVDA wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:14 pm
I don't get how you can be recruited as a D1 quarterback with these accuracy issues. It's pretty perplexing.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Was surprised to see the Pokes rank 125th in passing yards allowed. Shocking stat when considering the quality of QBs has faced. Of course, the rushing defense ranks 10th so nobody is establishing the run against Wyoming. Still, aside from Kelly Bryant, the QBR's of those other QBs are 88th, 91st, 118th, and 120th (couldn't find one for Idaho). November will test this team.

Still should be 6-2 going into the bye. All to play for.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:20 pm What really bugs me is that Bohl and Vigen seem to care more about identity than winning. Bohl was so happy about rushing for 140 yds or whatever it was against SDSU because it was more than they typically allow. That's all he seemed to care about. I don't want to see Bohl fired, but I also won't accept this poop offense any longer. We could be seriously contending for the MW championship this year if we had any passing game to speak of. Our passing game is the joke of NCAA football right now and it's the only thing holding us back anymore but Bohl and Vigen are too damn bullheaded to do anything about it. If we want to achieve the goal of winning the MW, our recievers coach and Vigen need to go. That's all there is to it at this point.
Downright bizarre stuff from Bohl in the press conference this week. Took a question from a reporter about the passing offense and pivoted into blaming the defense for not getting a late stop. Imagine being on that defense playing their asses off at both Tulsa and SDSU and hearing that. Last I checked we were in the 100s in total offense and sandwiched between all the triple option teams in the 130s in passing offense. But if the defense isn't the '85 Bears then it's their fault :roll: