Cowboys @ Aztecs thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

GetRealMan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:29 am Chambers should be our number one running back. He is not QB material but can run the ball effectively. He fumbled against Tulsa that cost us the game. He threw a sad attempt of a pass that was intercepted tonight that cost us this game. He is not the answer at QB. Like his spunk and running ability but he frankly sucks as a QB and that's not his fault. His inabilty to even mildly read coverage will cost Wyoming a few more games. He's better than Vanderwall but sadly that's not saying much. Bohl can find QB's obviously, Chamber's isn't one of them.
I'll take Chambers any day of the week. Does no one else see him putting the team on his back and putting us ahead late in both our losses. Defense failed Chambers twice this season not getting stops. Kid is a playmaker and an incredible leader. We are going to win a bunch of games with him leading the way.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

poke_addict wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:06 am
GetRealMan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:29 am Chambers should be our number one running back. He is not QB material but can run the ball effectively. He fumbled against Tulsa that cost us the game. He threw a sad attempt of a pass that was intercepted tonight that cost us this game. He is not the answer at QB. Like his spunk and running ability but he frankly sucks as a QB and that's not his fault. His inabilty to even mildly read coverage will cost Wyoming a few more games. He's better than Vanderwall but sadly that's not saying much. Bohl can find QB's obviously, Chamber's isn't one of them.
I'll take Chambers any day of the week. Does no one else see him putting the team on his back and putting us ahead late in both our losses. Defense failed Chambers twice this season not getting stops. Kid is a playmaker and an incredible leader. We are going to win a bunch of games with him leading the way.
I like Chambers as a competitor, but he is part of the problem. The defense has had to carry this team all year because the offense is inept. This game was lost in the third quarter when the offense had three 3 and outs. Vigen has his hands tied behind his back because Chambers is accurate 1 out of every 5 passes.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

We had about 70 yards of offense in the second half. Defense got gassed and made a mediocre (at best) qb look all pro. You don't beat a decent team on the road playing 1/2 a game. I thought we were going to be a good team, but I was wrong. This is another 7-5 or 6-6 team. Chambers is only occasionally accurate and his receivers don't bail him out by making plays in one on one situations. They don't fight for the ball the way good receivers do. I don't know if it's coaching or talent but we are too one dimensional to beat decent teams on the road. That means we lose to Utah st., Air force, and of course, Boise state. If we win our 3 home games, we get to 7 and maybe some little bowl game like the potato bowl.

It's too bad. We aren't that far away. But too often, Chambers has that deer in the headlights look when drops back. He's played enough now that he should be getting comfortable in the pocket. He's the best we have so I hope he improves. Why the tight ends and even the running backs aren't being used in the passing game is a mystery to me. We've got 6'7" tight end who you'd think we could isolate and throw him a jump ball. Whatever, I'm rambling because I'm frustrated because we keep losing games that sure seem winnable. And another season goes down the drain......
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Bitter sweet. I had the 5.5 line, so POKES covered for me.

I thought I'd win because POKES win not just cover. Pretty simple besides a few turnovers and penalties, suds adjusted at halftime. We are completely 1 dimensional, so that will happen. I expect most games to be pretty close.

If we had a passing game, we'd challenge for the conference.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

My favorite throws are the skip passes...twice he threw the ball into the ground 5+ yards in front of wrs. Chambers can throw, but you gotta make it easy on him, don’t drop him straight back and have him read a defense.

He was also lost on play action fakes too often, going right when back is left...

We lost our run game when abojei left, hard to replace him...

Play call to your teams strengths, what will be more likely to succeed, and design the passing game to our strengths, roll out, better play action, and at least 15 throws, gotta keep defense honest. Less shotgun more under center

Good game, wish we woulda pulled it off
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of the no-throw offense that we have to run with Chambers. But I have to recognize that he is clearly the leader of the team and that he is playing quarterback because of 1) what he does before the snap and 2) because of the decisions he makes on each play.

As long as Chambers is under center we have a chance to win every game on the schedule.
Last edited by WyoExpat on Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

Our offensive scheme is bad too. Any success we have had is due to playing weak defensive teams. We are going to get drilled against the good teams that we play.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:17 am Our offensive scheme is bad too. Any success we have had is due to playing weak defensive teams. We are going to get drilled against the good teams that we play.
SDSU had the best rushing defense in the country before last night. SDSU is a legit team.

I'm disappoint in the loss. We should've won. We're a good team. The way we played the first half looked championship caliber.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Here is my one take on the game:

SDSU made adjustments at half-time. The Poke coaches did not. Maybe because they couldn't anticipate the adjustments SDSU would make or didn't think adjustments were needed
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Well, that was disappointing. We've painted ourselves into a corner with an embarrassing pass game and a run game that is apparently singularly dependent on a now broken lineman.

I dont see us taking the next step without some assimilation to modern D-1 football. Until then, 5-7 wins and a Potato Bowl appearance here and there is our reality.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:31 am Here is my one take on the game:

SDSU made adjustments at half-time. The Poke coaches did not. Maybe because they couldn't anticipate the adjustments SDSU would make or didn't think adjustments were needed
Making in game "adjustments" is always a fine line. If something is working it's pretty tough to go away from it. That first half was really good for Wyoming and having another lineman go down may have had as much to do with the second half results as any "adjustments".
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

I agree completely. Such a competitor.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

SDSU hasn't really played anyone to date that is that good other than Utah State. Our offensive scheme is predictable at best and we will struggle against better teams that have a good defense. I wouldn't let rankings fool you into believing that we played a good defense last night. We made them look good with our inept scheme. We have a below average offense. If we just had an average offense, we'd be undefeated.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Subcanis wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:03 am Well, that was disappointing. We've painted ourselves into a corner with an embarrassing pass game and a run game that is apparently singularly dependent on a now broken lineman.

I dont see us taking the next step without some assimilation to modern D-1 football. Until then, 5-7 wins and a Potato Bowl appearance here and there is our reality.
Koenning ran a modern offense and the team put up big throwing stats. I’ll take what we have...in a few years this could be a dominating offense imposing its will.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

DVDA wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:35 am
I like Chambers as a competitor, but he is part of the problem. The defense has had to carry this team all year because the offense is inept. This game was lost in the third quarter when the offense had three 3 and outs. Vigen has his hands tied behind his back because Chambers is accurate 1 out of every 5 passes.
Of those 1 in 5 attempts that were accurate, how many bounced off of receivers' hands or helmets or chests?
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:15 am Bitter sweet. I had the 5.5 line, so POKES covered for me.

I thought I'd win because POKES win not just cover. Pretty simple besides a few turnovers and penalties, suds adjusted at halftime. We are completely 1 dimensional, so that will happen. I expect most games to be pretty close.

If we had a passing game, we'd challenge for the conference.
Bohl and company have not been stellar at halftime adjustments. In both losses Wyoming failed to score a single point in the 3rd quarter. Against UNLV they didn't score a single point in the 3rd quarter. Against Missouri they didn't score a single point in the 3rd quarter. In the squeaker against Idaho, they only scored 3 points in the 3rd quarter. The only game they really scored in the 3rd quarter was against Texas St. when they scored 10 points. That's a total of 13 points in the 3rd quarter spanning 6 games. I'm not sure what goes on in that locker room during halftime, but they sure as hell aren't anticipating what the opposing defense is going to throw at them. This is squarely on Vigen and Bohl. If they even have a pulse in the 3rd quarter they are undefeated. Until they figure this out, they will be lucky to be 6-6 by year end. :willybs:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

The only wins I see the rest of the way are New Mexico and CSU and those are in no way gimmies.....We can't generate enough offense to hang with the others we play. We were fortunate enough to get some defensive points and turnovers early in the year but we aren't getting any now. Our scheme is too vanilla to carry us on a drive.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Brown and Gold wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:12 pm The only wins I see the rest of the way are New Mexico and CSU and those are in no way gimmies.....We can't generate enough offense to hang with the others we play. We were fortunate enough to get some defensive points and turnovers early in the year but we aren't getting any now. Our scheme is too vanilla to carry us on a drive.
Yea...absolutely no way we could possibly compete with Nevada at home. The mighty Wolfpack that lost 54-3 to Hawaii and 77-6 to Oregon.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I’m starting to wonder if some of these ridiculous hot takes that litter the board after close road losses come from plants trying to fire up the team. Completely irrational. Yet, following a win, the board is crickets.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:29 pm I’m starting to wonder if some of these ridiculous hot takes that litter the board after close road losses come from plants trying to fire up the team. Completely irrational. Yet, following a win, the board is crickets.
*Sigh* as was discussed after the Tulsa loss.... The vast majority of the posters in this board are in the stadium during home games. Road games, win or lose, will always get more activity on this message board.

I'd feel no different after a home game with a similar outcome...I would just have very little chance to post until two to three hours after the game at a minimum.... And at that point I'd probably just go to bed.