Revised Predictions?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

With a few games under the belt and a slew of injuries, how do you see the rest of the year playing out?

It's been hashed and re-hashed, but I don't think the offense finds a groove this year. The defense will need to keep teams under 20 for the most part. The offense should be able to put up 17-24 points pretty consistently, but I think scoring gets more challenging. In my opinion, we saw that with Tulsa and Idaho. Defenses are going to peg us and I don't think the passing game will develop enough to get them to back off.

As long as the defense can generate a rush, I think they'll be fine. My worry is that teams will start scheming for a secondary that, in my opinion, is going to be marginal the rest of the season.

For me, I pegged 6 wins + or - a game. The MWC appears a little better than I thought it would be. I might revise down a game to 5 +/- a game.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

I think you are correct Ragtime, in that the offense will not find any kind of groove this season. Looking at the rest of the schedule:

For sure losses: Boise St, Utah St

Maybe losses? : AFA, Nevada

Maybe wins? : Every other game.

The hardest game in the maybe win category is probably SDSU...i just think they aren't that good this year. This means that if we win three of the "maybe" wins and one "maybe" loss, we get out with 7 wins....I just don't think they can get there this year...I'm holding firm at 6 wins.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

How can any one say certain games are for sure wins or losses?

To start the season I thought the Pokes would be sitting here 3-1 with wins over Idaho, Texas St. and Tulsa with a huge loss to Missouri. I got half of it right....

This team is young. I think we'll see really great stretches of football and also some real awful stretches of football. I am not willing to say BSU is a for sure loss but dont like that game on paper. Air Force scares me more than any other team in the conference. They look like a terrifying combo of top to bottom quality players and a willingness to knee cap us. Its one thing when they suck and cheat, being a good team and cheating is a whole different monster.

I still think we finish 8-4 and hit a good bowl.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

7 wins. 8 if we're fortunate
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Evaluate the opponent's passing game. Against strong passing games - most likely a loss. Evaluate opponent's run defense. Against strong run defense - most likely a loss. Vigen in the hospital game day for an orchiectomy - a win.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:23 pm How can any one say certain games are for sure wins or losses?
I'm using a bit of short hand by saying "for sure" losses (or wins). You are correct in that I do not literally know "for sure". All it means is that, looking forward, I don't think too hard when i'm guessing the outcome of the Boise St. game and the AFA game. I definitely thought the Mizzou game was a "for sure" loss before the season started. I think most reasonable sports fans can put games into categories like I did in the earlier post....Are we actually sure? nope...but if you round up all those games and look back at the results...I think we would be right much more than we would be wrong.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:13 am With a few games under the belt and a slew of injuries, how do you see the rest of the year playing out?

It's been hashed and re-hashed, but I don't think the offense finds a groove this year. The defense will need to keep teams under 20 for the most part. The offense should be able to put up 17-24 points pretty consistently, but I think scoring gets more challenging. In my opinion, we saw that with Tulsa and Idaho. Defenses are going to peg us and I don't think the passing game will develop enough to get them to back off.

As long as the defense can generate a rush, I think they'll be fine. My worry is that teams will start scheming for a secondary that, in my opinion, is going to be marginal the rest of the season.

For me, I pegged 6 wins + or - a game. The MWC appears a little better than I thought it would be. I might revise down a game to 5 +/- a game.
So, you're predicting 2 conference wins, possibly 1 or as high as 3? I'm guessing: If our season falls apart like that, you'll be back here posting (again) about how great the Joe Glenn years were.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

I predicted 5 wins before the season. My big concern was the defensive line and inexperience at safeties.

Well, I have been impressed with the defensive line and think we have great potential at safety after the first 4 games. I now predict 7 or 8 wins for a team with a relatively young nucleus and a RS freshman QB. This has me excited for the future of the program.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:30 pm
So, you're predicting 2 conference wins, possibly 1 or as high as 3? I'm guessing: If our season falls apart like that, you'll be back here posting (again) about how great the Joe Glenn years were.
Yes, I'm afraid we'll be under the .500 mark in conference play. Idaho was the worst team we'll face on the schedule and we clearly aren't in a spot to be able to take anyone to the woodshed. TX State isn't great by any stretch and would be the equivalent of middle MWC at best. I think we have MAJOR deficiencies on offense and some holes in defense that are exploitable. I'm thinking most games will be 50/50 and I think 2 are tilted more in the favor of the opponent. I don't think we'll take all the 50/50 games.

For some reason, a bunch of posters can't get it through their dense noggins that I liked Glenn and I like Bohl. I don't think the Glenn years were great; I just think the Bohl years would have similar results in Glenn's MWC. I think both men are great fits for the program and am in full support. I do, however, think the offense is a wreck and something needs tweaked. I don't think it can happen this year. I think Bohl knows football (withhold your Bo knows reference, haha), and I do think it is something he'll get fixed eventually.

With all of that said, I do think we'll be "in" most games. If the ball bounces in our favor, my prediction could easily be off. 3 to 5 more wins certainly could be a reality; I definitely do think we'll be within striking distance in at LEAST 6 of the remaining games (I'm guessing up to 2 get away from us). How many of those 6 can we pull off?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:53 am I predicted 5 wins before the season. My big concern was the defensive line and inexperience at safeties.

Well, I have been impressed with the defensive line and think we have great potential at safety after the first 4 games. I now predict 7 or 8 wins for a team with a relatively young nucleus and a RS freshman QB. This has me excited for the future of the program.
I am excited for the D line in the future. They are going to be formidable for years to come
Last edited by LanderPoke on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:59 am
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:30 pm
Yes, I'm afraid we'll be under the .500 mark in conference play. Idaho was the worst team we'll face on the schedule and we clearly aren't in a spot to be able to take anyone to the woodshed. TX State isn't great by any stretch and would be the equivalent of middle MWC at best. I think we have MAJOR deficiencies on offense and some holes in defense that are exploitable. I'm thinking most games will be 50/50 and I think 2 are tilted more in the favor of the opponent. I don't think we'll take all the 50/50 games.

For some reason, a bunch of posters can't get it through their dense noggins that I liked Glenn and I like Bohl. I don't think the Glenn years were great; I just think the Bohl years would have similar results in Glenn's MWC. I think both men are great fits for the program and am in full support. I do, however, think the offense is a wreck and something needs tweaked. I don't think it can happen this year. I think Bohl knows football (withhold your Bo knows reference, haha), and I do think it is something he'll get fixed eventually.

With all of that said, I do think we'll be "in" most games. If the ball bounces in our favor, my prediction could easily be off. 3 to 5 more wins certainly could be a reality; I definitely do think we'll be within striking distance in at LEAST 6 of the remaining games (I'm guessing up to 2 get away from us). How many of those 6 can we pull off?
I'd put Bohl's tenure ahead of Glenn's, but not by much. But the book is far from written on Bohl. This team is young and has a very bright future if Bohl can make certain, obvious changes to the offensive side of the ball.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Before the season I predicted 12 wins because that's the way I have to start every season. I can't go in predicting losses.(which is also why I usually don't participate in prediction threads pre-season) Now that I have watched some games, I too am am lowering my expectations. I have us at 9-10 wins. Our defensive line, which was a spot of concern has shown some great ability to get to the QB. Our secondary which I expected to be a strong suit has not been as good as I expected but I believe they will step up.(they have been on their own a lot with the defense blitzing more I believe) overall I think our defense will continue to play very well. The Tulsa QB was very good and was completing passes as he was getting hit by us all day which other QBS won't be able to if we continue to get in the backfield. We will start getting some more TO's. Our offense is a work in progress for sure but it is going to continue to make improvements. We started completing some passes late in the Tulsa game and that is gonna carry over into this week with more improvement.(we wouldn't have lost to Tulsa if we hadn't been down to our 4th string walk-on RB I the second half)

We aren't going to loss at home and we don't loss to AF. And as far as SDSU goes, they are struggling this year kinda similar to us so I think we finally get them in SD. That leaves USU and Boise on the road. Both tough games but who knows what this team will be playing like at that point in the season.

If I'm wrong and the pessimists are right? Oh well its not the first time.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:20 am I'd put Bohl's tenure ahead of Glenn's, but not by much. But the book is far from written on Bohl. This team is young and has a very bright future if Bohl can make certain, obvious changes to the offensive side of the ball.
Definitely agree with the part in bold. If looking at a program rebuild and trying to compare to a relatively normal circumstance, I would almost consider this year 1 or 2 of the rebuilding process. I think the previous years were really establishing some sort of stability in the program.

The biggest mistake we can make now, is becoming impatient. I might be totally wrong, but it feels like the program is finally on the right trajectory. Good kids that play hard are becoming more and more common. Reloading units is becoming more consistent, rather than rebuilding units.

I'm not down on the program or Bohl by any means, the opposite really. I just think there are a lot of close games coming and we might not end up on the good side for a lot of them. However, that to me is exactly what is expected of a relatively young team that is trending up. Fix the offense and the next few years could be really good.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:44 am The Tulsa QB was very good and was completing passes as he was getting hit by us all day which other QBS won't be able to if we continue to get in the backfield. We will start getting some more TO's.
Good point and something to watch. I could be way wrong, but I think Tulsa is going to have a pretty decent season.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:00 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:23 pm How can any one say certain games are for sure wins or losses?
I'm using a bit of short hand by saying "for sure" losses (or wins). You are correct in that I do not literally know "for sure". All it means is that, looking forward, I don't think too hard when i'm guessing the outcome of the Boise St. game and the AFA game. I definitely thought the Mizzou game was a "for sure" loss before the season started. I think most reasonable sports fans can put games into categories like I did in the earlier post....Are we actually sure? nope...but if you round up all those games and look back at the results...I think we would be right much more than we would be wrong.
Oh no doubt. And I wasnt making my comments based specifically about you. I have seen other similar conversations on facebook and twitter with people saying certain games are for sure wins or losses. I like the direction of this team and think a strong finish isnt out of the realm of possibility.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:44 am Before the season I predicted 12 wins because that's the way I have to start every season. I can't go in predicting losses.(which is also why I usually don't participate in prediction threads pre-season) Now that I have watched some games, I too am am lowering my expectations. I have us at 9-10 wins. Our defensive line, which was a spot of concern has shown some great ability to get to the QB. Our secondary which I expected to be a strong suit has not been as good as I expected but I believe they will step up.(they have been on their own a lot with the defense blitzing more I believe) overall I think our defense will continue to play very well. The Tulsa QB was very good and was completing passes as he was getting hit by us all day which other QBS won't be able to if we continue to get in the backfield. We will start getting some more TO's. Our offense is a work in progress for sure but it is going to continue to make improvements. We started completing some passes late in the Tulsa game and that is gonna carry over into this week with more improvement.(we wouldn't have lost to Tulsa if we hadn't been down to our 4th string walk-on RB I the second half)

We aren't going to loss at home and we don't loss to AF. And as far as SDSU goes, they are struggling this year kinda similar to us so I think we finally get them in SD. That leaves USU and Boise on the road. Both tough games but who knows what this team will be playing like at that point in the season.

If I'm wrong and the pessimists are right? Oh well its not the first time.
I loooove It!!! I want you to be right soooo bad!!! :D :D
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I said 8-4 before the season, and 8-4 still feels about right. 7-5 if a bounce doesn't go their way, 9-3 if a little luck is afforded.

Concerns: opponents with actual defenses, and just the general nature of conference play. Conference opponents will be better prepared for Wyoming than the out-of-conference opposition.

I feel confident in saying Wyoming will beat UNLV, New Mexico, and Colorado State (Bohl just owns these guys). The rest range from "buckle up, this won't be easy" to likely loss.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

We are just too unpredictable this year for me to determine.

Missouri - probably caught them by surprise, and we were ready to play
Texas State - wasn't pretty, but it was a win. Offense couldn't move the ball.
Idaho - what the hell was that? Offense should have been able to put up some points. We had everything to lose, idaho had everything to win.
Tulsa - was a very winnable game. They definitely showed weaknesses in our defensive pass game.

The next few? The defense will keep us in the game. Offense will have to score some points. IF not, we need turnovers or fundamental team matchup issues.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Should beat UNLV but like always never easy, Pokes 28 UNLV 13
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times

I won't make a revised prediction. I go with that we can win every game left, even the tall orders like Utah State and Boise State. We just need to play our game. Focus and not make mistakes like turn the ball over and commit foolish penalties. Take it game-by-game and that makes it more feasible. Let's start this week with UNLV, who is far from a great team.