Fire Vigen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:21 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:56 pm
yopaulie wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:31 pm People may not like it, but I think Bohl fully supports calling very conservative plays on the first two drives, to hopefully establish physicality (which won't be evident until later in the game), and read how opposing defenses are going to play against certain base formations.

Play calling after those drives are then driven and derived by what they've seen on those early drives.
The problem with this is that Chambers never gets into any kind of rhythm. I can't understand why Vigen won't give him a few easy rollouts/screens to start the game just to get going. We can always fall back on the running game. Point blank Chambers may be missing certain throws but he is not being put in a position to succeed.
You do realize that the very first play call of the game against Idaho was a play-action bootleg rollout?
It ended with a pass interference call. Abojei then had a terrible penalty that put the Pokes back 15 yards after that. But then there was a nice play with the tight end Marcotte sitting over the middle for a completion and a first down. This was probably the best executed pass of the day. Then there was a 10 year out that should have been an easy completion but Chambers was wild on the throw. This was all on the first drive. It ended with a Rothe missed FG.
I watched the game same as you. My point still stands. Vigen and Bohl consistently put our quarterbacks behind the eight ball by by prioritizing a "smashmouth identity" over setting up the offense to find its rhythm and keep defenses guessing. We've seen it with three quarterbacks in a row and the only one to have any success is winning games in the NFL now. Sadly another one of those ain't walking through the door.