Fire Vigen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

stymeman wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:22 pm Sure wanna see drastic change against a fcs team in Laramie this upcoming weekend and not waiting for the takeaway to get it started, lets see it from start to finish against the Vandals
If you're talking about offensive gameplan, prepare to be disappointed. I doubt we will see more than 8-10 passes all game from the Pokes against the Vandals. This will be a run heavy vanilla offense game. And I am just fine with that. I am calling it right now, the Pokes put up over 275 yards on the ground against Idaho.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:41 am
stymeman wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:22 pm Sure wanna see drastic change against a fcs team in Laramie this upcoming weekend and not waiting for the takeaway to get it started, lets see it from start to finish against the Vandals
If you're talking about offensive gameplan, prepare to be disappointed. I doubt we will see more than 8-10 passes all game from the Pokes against the Vandals. This will be a run heavy vanilla offense game. And I am just fine with that. I am calling it right now, the Pokes put up over 275 yards on the ground against Idaho.
I'd like to see us get the kinks worked out on our passing attack. If that's even possible. But I'm not holding my breath
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:55 pm Only way we get rid of Vigen is to get rid of Bohl.
The only thing I can figure is that Vigen is helping out Bohl with his wife.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:11 am
Wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:55 pm Only way we get rid of Vigen is to get rid of Bohl.
The only thing I can figure is that Vigen is helping out Bohl with his wife.
It wouldn't shock me. Then again, nothing does.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Afterall We Are Wyoming lol, say no more huh
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

WyomingAg wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:42 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:40 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:39 pm You could not call a more predictable game if you tried. Talk about not putting your players in a position to succeed.
Right because Vigen dropped the deep throw into the end zone.
No he didn't. But on the 2nd drive in the game down by 7 with no momentum he called 3 run plays by the running back up the middle and then a punt to give the ball immediately back to Texas st. The exact same as we did last week.... Predictable

Why do we do that because obviously our game plan in first quarters are no passes, no qb keeps, no outside runs, because in 2 games so far this season the first quarters have been full of runs up the middle by the running backs. Pretty predictable and I detect a pattern, I wonder if opposing defensive coordinators can see the pattern?
I am no football expert, but when I listen to Coach Bohl's interviews it sounds like he wants to soften up the other side by slamming them up the middle early and often. It sounds like the idea is that the other side will not have the will to keep up the fight by the end of the game. Coach Bohl's philosophy does not sound like it is built on deception as much as it is built on execution and a battle of wills.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Here is what it comes down to....At this point, the cost of replacing Vigen seems to be that Bohl would be gone as well. This means "Fire Vigen" is synonymous with a replacement of the current program leadership. I believe reasonable people can weigh the sputtering offensive output against an overall rising level of competitiveness in the program and come to a decision one way or another. What you cannot do is act like getting rid of Vigen would happen in a vacuum and have no impact on anything else in the program. At least address the consequences of the actions you would like to see happen. If we had to replace Bohl...what is the likelihood that the replacement would be better overall..not just in one facet of the game? I say...not very likely.

Once again....saying "fire Vigen" is tantamount to pushing for a change at the top.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Seems like the game plan was much more vanilla for Texas st. I believe Bohl even underestimated the bobcats and it showed in the post game interview. I just didn't see the pre snap movement we saw against Mizzou. The o line can dominate but they need the help to get defenders moving in a designed direction. Seemed like the entire game plan was to out muscle texas st. Where against Mizzou we ran mostly trap and option plays.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

307bball wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:31 am Here is what it comes down to....At this point, the cost of replacing Vigen seems to be that Bohl would be gone as well. This means "Fire Vigen" is synonymous with a replacement of the current program leadership. I believe reasonable people can weigh the sputtering offensive output against an overall rising level of competitiveness in the program and come to a decision one way or another. What you cannot do is act like getting rid of Vigen would happen in a vacuum and have no impact on anything else in the program. At least address the consequences of the actions you would like to see happen. If we had to replace Bohl...what is the likelihood that the replacement would be better overall..not just in one facet of the game? I say...not very likely.

Once again....saying "fire Vigen" is tantamount to pushing for a change at the top.
I understand what you are saying, and agree with it somewhat, but let me remind you of the Steve Stanard coaching change and situation. Hazelton was a MAJOR and very necessary upgrade. Maybe the same will happen with Vigen - not sure, and probably doubt it. Especially when you are winning...that and Vigen didn't give up 262 of rushing yards and 21 points in the first quarter of the NM game in 2016.

:shock: :rofl:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:04 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:31 am Here is what it comes down to....At this point, the cost of replacing Vigen seems to be that Bohl would be gone as well. This means "Fire Vigen" is synonymous with a replacement of the current program leadership. I believe reasonable people can weigh the sputtering offensive output against an overall rising level of competitiveness in the program and come to a decision one way or another. What you cannot do is act like getting rid of Vigen would happen in a vacuum and have no impact on anything else in the program. At least address the consequences of the actions you would like to see happen. If we had to replace Bohl...what is the likelihood that the replacement would be better overall..not just in one facet of the game? I say...not very likely.

I understand what you are saying, and agree with it somewhat, but let me remind you of the Steve Stanard coaching change and situation. Hazelton was a MAJOR and very necessary upgrade. Maybe the same will happen with Vigen - not sure, and probably doubt it. Especially when you are winning...that and Vigen didn't give up 262 of rushing yards and 21 points in the first quarter of the NM game in 2016.

Did you have to remind me of that game?? I still have nightmares of Josh Allen getting destroyed by dirty defenders and all of the long runs by New Mexico, including the should have been Poke Gipson.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Agree. What if Vigen is just a poop coach (and all signs point to him being such)? What have we got to lose? It’snot like we have a good offense anyway. It could hardly get worse! It’s mind blowing that we just keep rolling with the same thing year after year expecting better results. Bohl has got to realize things need to change
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Did you have to remind me of that game?? I still have nightmares of Josh Allen getting destroyed by dirty defenders and all of the long runs by New Mexico, including the should have been Poke Gipson.
We were there, that was awful, sorry about digging that up. Stanard gave up and knew he was a goner at the end of the year.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Yes, but also remember that Standard was only with Bohl for 5 years (2 @ NDSU, 3 @ Wyoming), Vigen has been with Bohl since 2003, that's 17 years!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Why would they fire him when he’s going to be our next HC?

How many more years do you think bohl will coach?
W-Y, Until I Die!
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

People may not like it, but I think Bohl fully supports calling very conservative plays on the first two drives, to hopefully establish physicality (which won't be evident until later in the game), and read how opposing defenses are going to play against certain base formations.

Play calling after those drives are then driven and derived by what they've seen on those early drives.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

yopaulie wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:31 pm People may not like it, but I think Bohl fully supports calling very conservative plays on the first two drives, to hopefully establish physicality (which won't be evident until later in the game), and read how opposing defenses are going to play against certain base formations.

Play calling after those drives are then driven and derived by what they've seen on those early drives.
The problem with this is that Chambers never gets into any kind of rhythm. I can't understand why Vigen won't give him a few easy rollouts/screens to start the game just to get going. We can always fall back on the running game. Point blank Chambers may be missing certain throws but he is not being put in a position to succeed.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:56 pm
yopaulie wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:31 pm People may not like it, but I think Bohl fully supports calling very conservative plays on the first two drives, to hopefully establish physicality (which won't be evident until later in the game), and read how opposing defenses are going to play against certain base formations.

The problem with this is that Chambers never gets into any kind of rhythm. I can't understand why Vigen won't give him a few easy rollouts/screens to start the game just to get going. We can always fall back on the running game. Point blank Chambers may be missing certain throws but he is not being put in a position to succeed.
You do realize that the very first play call of the game against Idaho was a play-action bootleg rollout?
It ended with a pass interference call. Abojei then had a terrible penalty that put the Pokes back 15 yards after that. But then there was a nice play with the tight end Marcotte sitting over the middle for a completion and a first down. This was probably the best executed pass of the day. Then there was a 10 year out that should have been an easy completion but Chambers was wild on the throw. This was all on the first drive. It ended with a Rothe missed FG.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I've never heard it mentioned but do we script plays? Are the first 10 or however many plays scripted and run regardless of the down and distance?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:34 pm I've never heard it mentioned but do we script plays? Are the first 10 or however many plays scripted and run regardless of the down and distance?
It was with Dave Christensen. I don't believe it is with Bohl. The first play of the Idaho game was clearly scripted to try and get Chambers into a rhythm.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:34 pm I've never heard it mentioned but do we script plays? Are the first 10 or however many plays scripted and run regardless of the down and distance?
Absolutely.

I dont remember if it was Bohl or Vigen early on in their tenure said they script the first 20 plays and DO NOT deviate come hell or high water. Something about Vigen being such a genius that in those 20 failures, er, plays he can accurately diagnose what the D is doing and adjust accordingly. It seems to be working quite well in year 5....

EDIT: Its kind of smart.... By this logic they can script damn near the entire first half and not have to worry about snap on the fly decisions.... Leave the hard poop for the second half.