Wyoming @ Texas State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:12 pm
joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:11 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:05 pm This announcer can got to hell. Mentioned that place that shall not be named
Fort Collins?
:rofl: Close but no turkey. And it's called Fort Fart!!!!

Provostan is the answer!!!! :tickedoff:
Seriously though, I thought it was referencing them talking about Bohl's time in Fargo....the other place not thought of fondly here.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

2 games - no turnovers and 6 take aways. We should get a breather next week. Hopefully, we can get the passing game on track. Defense looked a lot more lively the second half. We played a lot better after the sun went down.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I really have to hand it to the coaches for putting together a great game plan to leave Texas State with the win (btw we covered the spread too). You heard Bohl talk post game how it was tough game planning for Stitts offense. Keeping that offense off the field in the 2nd half was huge. Having watched Stitt run up huge offensive numbers for over a decade at Mines with inferior athletes, I was very impressed with the half time adjustments and ability to control the clock in the 2nd half. Texas State will surprise some teams this year with that coaching staff, just watch!!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I wonder how much of our troubles were related to the heat? We had under 4 yards per carry in this game, which isn't exactly a recipe for success when you're also 8/18 in the air with only 5.7 yards per attempt.

Last week we averaged 7.1 yards per carry against a MUCH faster and more talented defense.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

An ugly 2-0 is way better than a pretty 1-1. Heading home undefeated. Good job pokes. On to the next
IowaCowboy
Buckaroo

I agree...i think that team is a good football team. They are well coached and are getting the absolute most out of their players. This was a classic case of our guys just wearing them down over the course of the game. My goodness though....we better open up the playbook some. We won't be able to do that in conference play.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:22 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:05 pm This announcer can got to hell. Mentioned that place that shall not be named
Fort Collins?

Seriously though, I thought it was referencing them talking about Bohl's time in Fargo....the other place not thought of fondly here.
you are correct. Nothing against the place, it's just a worn out narrative
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:22 pm
Fort Collins?

Hey, I gotta go to North Dakota in early October and I'm not thrilled about it!!!!!! It's America's version of Siberia!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

A 2-0 start really is good. And against Idaho, well, hopefully we can figure our passing game, and carry it over to Tulsa.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:37 pm you are correct. Nothing against the place, it's just a worn out narrative
No kidding. This is Bohl's sixth year here. What he did there is impressive, but the only thing that counts now is what he does in Laramie. It's been over half a decade - no reason to really talk about NDSU unless we play them.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:57 pm I swear some of you would rather have a team that puts up 300 yards through the air every game but goes 2-10. Hell let’s just being back Koenning then.

For me, I could give a poop less what the stats are. Do what it takes to win the game.
How come when some of us ask for the playcalling to be more creative it is taken as throw the ball 50 times? I want it to be more creative within our scheme and playbook. Apparently our playbook has 200+ plays and takes at least 2 years to learn according to reports in the off-season. I'm betting our playbook has somewhere in it a rb sweep play, a wide reciever sweep play, a reverse, an option play, a fullback run, a bubble screen, a qb rollout and run, etc etc. How come in the first quarter we don't see any of these?

I want variety and less predictability within our playbook and scheme. I don't need or want 50 passes a game. I do want our first quarter to feature more than running back off tackle 8 times with 4 to 5 of those being in a row across two 3 and out series. Mix in a sweep, a qb run, an option, an easy screen play, etc. That keeps defenses off balance and opens up holes for the running back off tackle. But for some reason vigen waits till at least the second quarter and being down by double digits before even considering mixing any of those in.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I missed the first half of the game cause I was taking a nap. When I looked at the stats before the 1st half started I saw Chambers had an INT. But during the radio broadcast Kevin and Dave repeatedly stated we hadn't turned the ball over yet this season, and someone else in this thread said the same thing. Are the stats on ESPN and CBS sports wrong, were Dave and Kevin wrong, or am I missing something?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

bullbugle307 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:44 pm I missed the first half of the game cause I was taking a nap. When I looked at the stats before the 1st half started I saw Chambers had an INT. But during the radio broadcast Kevin and Dave repeatedly stated we hadn't turned the ball over yet this season, and someone else in this thread said the same thing. Are the stats on ESPN and CBS sports wrong, were Dave and Kevin wrong, or am I missing something?
He threw the pick on the last play before halftime which was a hail mary from the 50 so it isn't a meaningful turnover.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I'll take 2-0 anyday, BUT we truly hafta see major improvement on O for 4 quarters against this pesky Idaho Vandal team, keep it rollin Pokes
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Well, we know we need to make some serious strides on offense (mainly in the passing game), but the RBs are looking really good. And Swen, REALLY liking what I'm seeing from him as a True Freshmen. Kind of reminds me of a smaller Brian Hill in the way he just keeps going forward and hitting small holes for good gains.
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:19 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:17 pm Brooke Shoemaker is clearly the highlight of ESPNs broadcast! The rest was garbage.
I didn't mind the play by play guy, actually.

I agree that the play by play guy was actually pretty good, but the analysts was not good at all!
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

So, what's the consensus on our passing game? Are our WR's not hitting their routes or just not athletic enough to get open? Chambers threw a couple beautiful throws, but there's still work to be done. A few times, it looked like he got caught in "analysis paralysis". Hopefully, he can shake the nerves and become more confident soon.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

J-Bone wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 am So, what's the consensus on our passing game? Are our WR's not hitting their routes or just not athletic enough to get open? Chambers threw a couple beautiful throws, but there's still work to be done. A few times, it looked like he got caught in "analysis paralysis". Hopefully, he can shake the nerves and become more confident soon.
I think we have a long way to go, but there were definitely a couple of great catches too. The fact that we have a 6'7 TE with hands like that and we don't use him in the back of the end zone is a little bit maddening, though.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

J-Bone wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 am So, what's the consensus on our passing game? Are our WR's not hitting their routes or just not athletic enough to get open? Chambers threw a couple beautiful throws, but there's still work to be done. A few times, it looked like he got caught in "analysis paralysis". Hopefully, he can shake the nerves and become more confident soon.
From what I understand, deep throws, he's actually pretty good at. Its the shorter throws, like with Allen, that he has issues with. He has a good arm, just needs to learn more finesse than power when it comes to shorter throws.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

Congrats to the Pokes on prevailing!

A win is a win. I'll take it. Wasn't easy and we didn't start strong, but we came alive in the second half. That is what counted.