What does it all mean?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Does beating Mizzou mean we a much better that we thought we were? Or just at least as good as we hoped we might be? Who knows, but my current thought about it is:
6-6 teams who beat Missouri get bowl bids.
7-5 teams who beat Missouri get better bowl bids than they otherwise would... and so on..
Of course, teams who beat Missouri and then tank the rest of the season are sad, but we're not going there today, are we? No, we're not.
That was as much fun as I have ever had at War Memorial Stadium. Thank you, Wyoming Cowboys.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I think the dominos are lining up finally. 2017 would have been a better year if Brian Hill had stuck around. He didn't (we might have beat 2016 BYU if he hadn't been screwing around), and we went without a good running back.

I was impressed that our d-line was able to stop the run as well as they did (d line=average 250 lbs, mizzou o-line averaged 325). They couldn't get pressure on the QB - and that might be a huge problem this year.

Our o-line really did open some big holes at times against a bunch of large defenders. That was impressive.

When Chambers runs and throws, it really opens up our running game. It keeps the defense guessing. The RPO looks pretty good.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

GOWYO wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:21 pm Does beating Mizzou mean we a much better that we thought we were? Or just at least as good as we hoped we might be? Who knows, but my current thought about it is:
6-6 teams who beat Missouri get bowl bids.
7-5 teams who beat Missouri get better bowl bids than they otherwise would... and so on..
Of course, teams who beat Missouri and then tank the rest of the season are sad, but we're not going there today, are we? No, we're not.
That was as much fun as I have ever had at War Memorial Stadium. Thank you, Wyoming Cowboys.

Well you hope it isn’t a repeat of 2007 when we beat Virginia and they ended up winning their side of the division in the acc and going 9-3 I believe the rest of the year but we ended up tanking that year.

Also hope Missouri ends up being a good team. Usually when we beat a team like that they end up 6-6 or worse. Hopefully that is not the case and they are a good team and we are the best team that Bohl has had here. The problem is you don’t really know until about 6 games have been played how good anyone really is.

For now we can be full of optimism though.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Not that this really means much, but ESPN's predictions going forward:

@ Texas State = Wyo 66.4% chance of winning
vs Idaho = Wyo 99.7%
@ Tulsa = Wyo 54.3%
UNLV = 70.8%
@ SDSU = 53.0%
UNM = 83.9%
Nevada = 71.0%
@BSU = Wyo 16.5%
@ USU = 43.0%
CSU = 78.2%
@ AFA 28.1%

ESPN basically has us winning 9 games. This is all based upon 1 game though. So who knows.....
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Wyoming is a -7.5 point favorite over Texas St. this next game.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Looking at the schedule after the Missouri game, it seems like 9 wins is certainly attainable. Maybe 10 or 11 if we get some luck. Then again,6, 7 or 8 is still possible if we don't pick it up a bit on both offense and defense. We need to establish a better passing game and we gave up a hell of a lot of yards against Missouri and let them score with ease on 4 drives. We won the turnover battle (which helped us out a ton), but we had a few really big plays that teams may not allow after they shake off the week 1 rust.

Also, what the heck was ESPN thinking calling the SDSU game essentially a toss up. They scored 6 frickin points last weekend. I know Weber is a good team at their level, but I don't understand what they're thinking there. Maybe in a few weeks I'll change my mind, but after week one I'd say we have a 75-80 percent chance of winning that game. Until SDSU can actually put up some numbers on offense, I think we're gonna own them. And only a 28 percent chance against Air Force. We defend against the run so well, and we've done really well against AF in Bohl's tenure. I think we win that game. I think USU will give us more fits than AF, but they gave us twice the chance of beating them on the road as they did of us beating AF on the road. I don't think whoever put those odds up at ESPN did their MW homework, which wouldn't surprise me.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:05 pm I think the dominos are lining up finally. 2017 would have been a better year if Brian Hill had stuck around. He didn't (we might have beat 2016 BYU if he hadn't been screwing around), and we went without a good running back.

I was impressed that our d-line was able to stop the run as well as they did (d line=average 250 lbs, mizzou o-line averaged 325). They couldn't get pressure on the QB - and that might be a huge problem this year.

Our o-line really did open some big holes at times against a bunch of large defenders. That was impressive.

When Chambers runs and throws, it really opens up our running game. It keeps the defense guessing. The RPO looks pretty good.
I think this was by design. The rush was meant to keep Kelly Bryant, who is freaking fast, in the pocket and throwing. We didn't blitz, either.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:12 am Looking at the schedule after the Missouri game, it seems like 9 wins is certainly attainable. Maybe 10 or 11 if we get some luck. Then again,6, 7 or 8 is still possible if we don't pick it up a bit on both offense and defense. We need to establish a better passing game and we gave up a hell of a lot of yards against Missouri and let them score with ease on 4 drives. We won the turnover battle (which helped us out a ton), but we had a few really big plays that teams may not allow after they shake off the week 1 rust.

Also, what the heck was ESPN thinking calling the SDSU game essentially a toss up. They scored 6 frickin points last weekend. I know Weber is a good team at their level, but I don't understand what they're thinking there. Maybe in a few weeks I'll change my mind, but after week one I'd say we have a 75-80 percent chance of winning that game. Until SDSU can actually put up some numbers on offense, I think we're gonna own them. And only a 28 percent chance against Air Force. We defend against the run so well, and we've done really well against AF in Bohl's tenure. I think we win that game. I think USU will give us more fits than AF, but they gave us twice the chance of beating them on the road as they did of us beating AF on the road. I don't think whoever put those odds up at ESPN did their MW homework, which wouldn't surprise me.
It’s naive to think SDSU will have a poor offense all year. They are breaking in a brand new offensive system (getting away from the pro style). Their offense will improve no doubt and we already know they have a good defense.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I said 8-4 before the season. Think I'll stay there, but 9-3/10-2 definitely on the table should the injury bug remain of the smaller variety. A passing game must emerge too, or the opponent's with strong defenses won't blink.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

J-Rod wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:22 am I said 8-4 before the season. Think I'll stay there, but 9-3/10-2 definitely on the table should the injury bug remain of the smaller variety. A passing game must emerge too, or the opponent's with strong defenses won't blink.
I agree. I'll feel better about our season AFTER we hopefully beat Tulsa!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

I think we need to slow our roll. What if Missouri is no good? And the Texas St. and Tulsa games are going to be tough! The MWC is dang good this year to boot
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:15 am I think we need to slow our roll. What if Missouri is no good? And the Texas St. and Tulsa games are going to be tough! The MWC is dang good this year to boot
This is exactly how I feel. I think we do have a few players who will step up to fill the void for all the talent we lost to graduation, but we also don't have a ton of depth still. If we end up where we have to rely on TVW again, we could be a 3-9 team... But then again, maybe he's learned a thing or three over the summer as well, and maybe Levi Williams is more ready than we think if we have to go that route.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I’ll never count wins. However, only 28% against Air Force??
W-Y, Until I Die!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:46 pm I’ll never count wins. However, only 28% against Air Force??
This is the most ridiculous one. Air Farce can't beat our backup QB's.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:32 am
WyoBrandX wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:05 pm I think the dominos are lining up finally. 2017 would have been a better year if Brian Hill had stuck around. He didn't (we might have beat 2016 BYU if he hadn't been screwing around), and we went without a good running back.

I think this was by design. The rush was meant to keep Kelly Bryant, who is freaking fast, in the pocket and throwing. We didn't blitz, either.
And considering the strip 6, endzone int, and drive killing sack at the end of the game....... I'd say we got all of the pressure that we needed
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

We don't play anyone as close to Missouri in terms of talent with the exception of Utah State and Boise State. Having said that, if we are going to have a great season, we need to smash the next four teams. Good teams manhandle these types of teams. If we can dominate them and get our passing game going....we should bring some good momentum into the toughest games on the schedule.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:15 pm
laxwyo wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:46 pm I’ll never count wins. However, only 28% against Air Force??
This is the most ridiculous one. Air Farce can't beat our backup QB's.
I've been confused about the love AF has been getting all preseason. I think it's just because they're an Academy and people feel they might be hated on for not hyping the .mil. I know they return a lot of guys, but we seem to have them figured out pretty well and Calhoun is still a prick of the highest order.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Great win and dare I say adaptability by Vigen? I also think Bohl's culture is really coming through now. Tough group and no quit.

Definitely some defensive adjustments to be made but I think that was a Mizzou team that is going to be pretty prolific on O.

On O, I think the key will be to continue to improve the passing game. Doesn't need to be lights out, just good enough to hold respect on the rpo. Chambers needs a little more touch at times. I think future Ds are going to sell out on the run even more. Vigen actually baffled Mizzou a little, imo. If I'm defending WYO, it would be man all day on the outside with attacking the line. Chambers won't have to beat teams with his arm, but he is going to have to up the completion percent (receivers must catch...dang drops) and yards.

Overall, great win and start. MWC has a bit of a pulse this year. This next game or two will be interesting as a gauge of where the POKES are.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

I like this question...what does it mean? The only thing that i'm relatively sure in saying is that our offensive line is better than I thought it would be, and the defensive line may not be such a liability (need to create more of a pass rush though). Maybe Mizzou is not as good as advertised..maybe not. It will be very telling how next weeks game goes. I can see a scenario where wyoming wins by 7-14 points but dominates them in all categories ... i'd be pretty happy with that I guess. It just feels soooo good to have this win in the books!