Balanced Camp

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

It worries me that the defense hasn't been as dominant in fall camp than in years prior. I'd like to think that that's a good sign, and I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm really afraid this means our defense will regress significantly this year, and we'll have the same old unproductive, way too predictable Vigen offense. If both sides of the team struggle, this would be a nightmare scenario, and if it's the case, this year could be bad. If our d line can't hold, people will grind us up the gut and our secondary will have to constantly make tackles after running backs get to the second level. That'll open up the play action, and teams will be smart to emulate our offensive strategy against us.

I'm very open to the fact that I'm wrong, and I'll be the first to eat crow if I am. But for now, I'm really not feeling good about this season. Our offense has to improve significantly for us to reach bowl eligibility, because it seems like there's no way we can rely on our defense to keep us in games this years like they have in years past.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I think it's just that the offense is a little better than last year, hopefully a LOT better, and the D being not quite as dominant. I'm not too worried.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Yeah that should be expected. I expect our offense to be better this year and our defense prob isn't as good. Hope our D isn't too much of a step back which I don't think it will be. Our linebacker group should be better our corners should be better and our D line will be worse and our safties won't be as good(only because of how good they were last year, not worried about the guys we have coming in)
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:54 pm It worries me that the defense hasn't been as dominant in fall camp than in years prior. I'd like to think that that's a good sign, and I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm really afraid this means our defense will regress significantly this year, and we'll have the same old unproductive, way too predictable Vigen offense. If both sides of the team struggle, this would be a nightmare scenario, and if it's the case, this year could be bad. If our d line can't hold, people will grind us up the gut and our secondary will have to constantly make tackles after running backs get to the second level. That'll open up the play action, and teams will be smart to emulate our offensive strategy against us.

I'm very open to the fact that I'm wrong, and I'll be the first to eat crow if I am. But for now, I'm really not feeling good about this season. Our offense has to improve significantly for us to reach bowl eligibility, because it seems like there's no way we can rely on our defense to keep us in games this years like they have in years past.
I think we are going to have a lot of trouble on defense this year because we are so small on the defensive line. Usually when we have been this small on the d-line we have had bad teams. If you want to play the way Bohl likes to play you have to be a lot bigger in the middle of the d-line and I suspect this will be a big problem this year. Add that to the fact we have a new d-coordinator and it might not turn out so well for Wyoming.

We will find out the first week. Missouri will be good this year. They have a back that gained over 1,200 + yards last year in the SEC, so can only imagine what they will do to us on the ground with a small d-line.

I hope I am wrong also but have to go with what has happened with Bohl teams in the past with small d-lines.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

We are now in Year 6 of Bohl Ball with a record of 28-35 (44% win Percentage) It took him 4 years to build a powerhouse at NDSU. In year 6 Wyo is still having depth/talent issues. Is it simply that Bohl can't overcome the disadvantages Wyo presents? If the football program has a sub-par year does that put him on the hot seat?

Joe Glenn got canned after six years with a record of 30-41 (42% win percentage) in arguably a much tougher MWC at the time. Is the administration now simply giving Bohl more time to continue with his style of program until the results are there?

These are the questions that are on my mind.
I'm good for 3!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Cornpoke wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:27 am We are now in Year 6 of Bohl Ball with a record of 28-35 (44% win Percentage) It took him 4 years to build a powerhouse at NDSU. In year 6 Wyo is still having depth/talent issues. Is it simply that Bohl can't overcome the disadvantages Wyo presents? If the football program has a sub-par year does that put him on the hot seat?

Joe Glenn got canned after six years with a record of 30-41 (42% win percentage) in arguably a much tougher MWC at the time. Is the administration now simply giving Bohl more time to continue with his style of program until the results are there?

Defense was awesome for a couple of years, with much the same players that were ran over. Remains to be seen how the new DC will do with Hazelton gone.

Offense is the big question. Vigen shows flashes of being imaginative and competent, and the players shine then. But otherwise, its usually "run, run, scramble, punt" under him. The guys we have coming through aren't bad, with a number of players going to the NFL almost annually, but the scheme and playcalling has not been helping. Not to mention all the times we've had to have true Freshmen (often undersized) on the lines.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

I'm still more worried about the offense and replacing Evans.

But yes, undersized D-lines have proven to be problematic in Laramie.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think the offense does alright this year. It is a concern that Bohl hasn’t figured out depth ( especially on the lines) in year six. NDSU had advantages compared to other FCS schools where Wyoming has few outside of facilities compared to mid major programs. To be fair Bohl had some bad breaks (Ghafan should on the team still and Holt is injured) but that’s no different than any other team getting unlucky. His staff has had their fair share of whiffs in recruiting. For every granderson that puts on weight they seem to recruit a dlineman who can’t get their weight above 230. Seems to be the conundrum that made Glenn switch to the 3-4.

At this point he is only slightly better than Glenn and DC.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Cornpoke wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:27 am We are now in Year 6 of Bohl Ball with a record of 28-35 (44% win Percentage) It took him 4 years to build a powerhouse at NDSU. In year 6 Wyo is still having depth/talent issues. Is it simply that Bohl can't overcome the disadvantages Wyo presents? If the football program has a sub-par year does that put him on the hot seat?

Who doesn't have depth/talent issues .... I think Wyoming is in the vast majority of college football programs that basically have to try to catch lightning in a bottle with recruiting and injuries. There are what...10? maybe 12 programs that have depth charts and recruiting advantages that make them immune to said depth/talent issues? Color me not worried as long as Wyoming can get to 5+ wins.

FYI, The four year rolling averge for wins at Wyoming since 1950 is 5.89 wins per year. Outside of a stretch in the late '80's that has held very stable-ish. Here is since 1980:
I don't think we've recovered since Vic.

*hmm guess I don't know how to make images work...basically the rolling average takes a dive around the year 2000 and does not recover. https://imgur.com/gallery/q0Ix4vL
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Joes' teams regressed, while Bohl has been steady after a tough start. I don't think Joe had 3 consecutive years of bowl eligibility (I agree the MWC is a little watered down...but Boise and others have stepped up at times). Joe only had two teams finish with a .500 or better record. Bohl has had 3 consecutive seasons. Bohl's teams also don't get their asses handed to them as much as Joe's teams did. That was the ultimate decider.

Personally, I think we'll see a team with more balance this year. The DLine will be the only unit that will fall off from last year. Safties without Dewey and Epps will take a step back, but Hull and Hall will be solid cbs. Looking forward to see what Weber can do....Bohl seems pretty high on him.

The Offense will be better all around. Chambers has still not lost a game he's started.

Bring on the Tigers (could be a tough task, but the Pokes could make it a game....who knows)

Go Pokes!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Coaches like Glenn and Bohl are what WYO needs. Glenn would do as well as Bohl in today's MWC, imo, and Bohl would = Glenn in the old MWC.

Bohl didn't have to build a program or save a program at NDSU. They were already damn good; he just took them over the top. NDSU situation isn't at all comparable to WYO.

I had reservations about the first D coordinator (won't even say his name) and Bohl fixed that. I still think he'll need to tweak the offense and likely OC, but we'll see. Stick with Bohl but don't expect much this year. The defense will be fine in MWC play. Missiouri will be leaps and bounds better than MOST of what we will see in conference.

It's college and all about new faces making a name for themselves. Hopefully a really solid season with a bunch of young guys.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

307bball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Who doesn't have depth/talent issues .... I think Wyoming is in the vast majority of college football programs that basically have to try to catch lightning in a bottle with recruiting and injuries. There are what...10? maybe 12 programs that have depth charts and recruiting advantages that make them immune to said depth/talent issues? Color me not worried as long as Wyoming can get to 5+ wins.

FYI, The four year rolling averge for wins at Wyoming since 1950 is 5.89 wins per year. Outside of a stretch in the late '80's that has held very stable-ish. Here is since 1980:

*hmm guess I don't know how to make images work...basically the rolling average takes a dive around the year 2000 and does not recover. https://imgur.com/gallery/q0Ix4vL
Pretty spot on. We are an average - slightly above average program right now. We're fighting to get consistently good. We have depth/talent issues at certain positions just like many, many other teams. I think we get to a spot where we are good each year.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:57 am
307bball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Pretty spot on. We are an average - slightly above average program right now. We're fighting to get consistently good. We have depth/talent issues at certain positions just like many, many other teams. I think we get to a spot where we are good each year.
Yup....need to find that consistency. As much as I don't care for the Smurf turfer's, I respect what they have accomplished over there. It started with stringing together some excellent coaches that instilled a program level mindset of doing things well. I think Bohl/Glenn fit that mold....I do agree with the comment about the program seeming to regress somewhat during Glenn's tenure though.... Both those coaches seem to understand that program-level culture is the straw that stirs the drink. I never got that vibe from Christianson/Koenning/Dimel.