Depth Chart

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Out yesterday after the weekend scrimmage

Looking closer at this, I believe the defense will be strong again. We are experienced at LB and corner. Safety a question mark. If Bohl and Dickert have a few guys who can get after the quarterback up front I think we will see a defense that gives us a chance to win most or all of our games.

It seems like the offensive line depth is a step up from where it has been, but we cannot afford any more injuries there. Bohl has been praising Titus Swen at RB and also said that Trey Smith suffered a concussion in the scrimmage. At WR one or two of those guys has to take a big step, simple as that. Doesn't matter who.

Side note, there's a ton of Wyoming kids in the two-deep. Probably more than I ever remember seeing before. Love to see that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

Thanks for posting. The O-line finally features no freshmen. That's good. Hopefully with the new coach and the still relative youth of that unit that'll be a strength in seasons to come, finally.

Sounds like RB Swen is going to be a stud. I'm very excited to him tote the rock. Getting praise like that from Bohl as a true freshmen is a big deal.

The D seems solid other than the D line. I know Jackson, Crall and Hall can play at a high level, but outside of that we are unproven. We are pretty small up front. Someone has got to step up. Maybe move Dunyanski back to DT?

Our LBs are maybe the best I can ever remember. Cashh and Logan are going to wreck opposing offenses. What a duo.

Finally Rome Weber must have some 'ability' to steal a phrase from Bohl. If he can beat out Braden Smith, who is a dang good football player, then he must be talented. I'm excited to see Rome in action.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Call me crazy, but I feel much better about the offense than the defense based on the depth chart at this point. I am very nervous of the D-line and safety positions. Having great linebackers but a poor line with poor safeties just means that you make a lot of tackles after 5-6 yard gains with the occasional big play over the top. Hopefully the D-line and safeties will work out great; never know until we see them in action.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:50 am
Our LBs are maybe the best I can ever remember. Cashh and Logan are going to wreck opposing offenses. What a duo.

No doubt they are good. But we had a team with the following linebackers not too long ago: Ward Dobbs, Brian Hendricks, Gabe Knapton, Weston Johnson. I'd say Joe Glenn did a pretty good job recruiting linebackers.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Can anyone name a player other than Dontae Crow that has been both a punter and a punt returner at the D1 or NFL levels?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:50 am Thanks for posting. The O-line finally features no freshmen. That's good. Hopefully with the new coach and the still relative youth of that unit that'll be a strength in seasons to come, finally.

Sounds like RB Swen is going to be a stud. I'm very excited to him tote the rock. Getting praise like that from Bohl as a true freshmen is a big deal.

The D seems solid other than the D line. I know Jackson, Crall and Hall can play at a high level, but outside of that we are unproven. We are pretty small up front. Someone has got to step up. Maybe move Dunyanski back to DT?

Finally Rome Weber must have some 'ability' to steal a phrase from Bohl. If he can beat out Braden Smith, who is a dang good football player, then he must be talented. I'm excited to see Rome in action.
Agree with everything you said except the bolded. It looks like the DT depth is actually better than OT... better to keep Dunayski there.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:30 pm Can anyone name a player other than Dontae Crow that has been both a punter and a punt returner at the D1 or NFL levels?
No idea about that, but it definitely wasn't ideal. I remember Crow having a hard time holding onto the snap. Bohl said he won't be punting anymore because he hits the ball so hard he hurts himself. Glad to see him where he's at on the WR chart though.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:07 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:50 am Thanks for posting. The O-line finally features no freshmen. That's good. Hopefully with the new coach and the still relative youth of that unit that'll be a strength in seasons to come, finally.

Agree with everything you said except the bolded. It looks like the DT depth is actually better than OT... better to keep Dunayski there.
It seems like the need is more urgent along the DL
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:49 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:07 pm

It seems like the need is more urgent along the DL
If you look at the roster, they only have 4 players listed as OT, and Dunayski is one of those 4. They may have 1 or 2 others but they would most likely be true freshman.

Conversely, if you don't count true freshman or known injured guys, they have 6 guys listed as DT or NT.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

The interior defensive line lacks size. Hopefully the new defensive coordinator puts these guys in a position to be successful. The talent in the back 7 won't matter if Wyoming consistently loses their battles at the line of scrimmage.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

DVDA wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:53 am The interior defensive line lacks size. Hopefully the new defensive coordinator puts these guys in a position to be successful. The talent in the back 7 won't matter if Wyoming consistently loses their battles at the line of scrimmage.
This is what I will be watching is how the D-line responds with the lack of size and depth. I know it isn't within Bohl's philosophy and isn't ideal for maintaining consistency...but with the LB situation, I almost wonder if a 3-4 alignment might be a good idea.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:00 pm
DVDA wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:53 am The interior defensive line lacks size. Hopefully the new defensive coordinator puts these guys in a position to be successful. The talent in the back 7 won't matter if Wyoming consistently loses their battles at the line of scrimmage.
This is what I will be watching is how the D-line responds with the lack of size and depth. I know it isn't within Bohl's philosophy and isn't ideal for maintaining consistency...but with the LB situation, I almost wonder if a 3-4 alignment might be a good idea.
I think this might be a good idea. We have some good backers and their backups seem capable too. Muma, Wisdorf can play at a high level and I'll bet there are some freshmen that can also play at a high level including Charles Hicks and Davon Wells-Ross.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:00 pm
3-4 with undersized linemen? That's a no-go. 3-4 pretty much requires larger than normal d-linemen compared to a 4-3 formation. For example, you need a NT in 3-4 to be able to force double teams (at least) on a constant basis. Not to mention hold his ground when being double-teamed in the run game.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Yeah I think we can be fine with smaller d linemen in a 4-3, we will use a one gap technique where they are only responsible for one gap and can rely on their quickness to get there. In the 3-4 they have to play 2 gap where it requires more strength.

It is a bad injury to a thin position but I don't buy into the doom and gloom just because we lost one player. They guys we have there are good and others may step up.