Bigelow

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Has left the program. I wonder if they use the last scholarship on a JUCO RB
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

That's weird. Isn't he #1 on the depth chart? or at least 1b
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Damn. That is a big loss and a real bummer because he has talent and a different skill set than Valladay. Pure guess, but I am wondering if someone at Fresno State wasn't in his ear to transfer there. His hometown is Fresno but they didn't offer him a scholly apparently for whatever reason.

True sophomore Valladay is basically the only returning RB with any experience. I guess it is good the freshman class was loaded with RBs because they will be called on now.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

I hate to see him go, but I think what we can read into this is that Valladay has got the starting job locked down. We saw the workload shift from Bigelow to Valladay last season when Nico was out. X was getting more and more carries, and Bigelow was getting fewer and fewer. I'm not sure if X has the frame to carry a feature back role, but he will almost assuredly be getting the majority of the carries for backs this season.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

I understand he wasn't participating in Spring drills & practices. I hate to see him leave, and thought he had a great upside as a true freshman last year. Never know what goes on behind closed doors (practices).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Too bad but I saw coach say in one of the post practice interviews that X had separated himself so it sounds like they are happy with him carrying most of the load. We have a lot of RB's in the pipeline so I'm sure there is a young guy that will step up.
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

This is bad. :willybs: no sugar coating.

The Pokes are a run-first team (even when we have a top 10 NFL draft quarterback) and there is ONE guy who has run the ball in a college game on the roster. At least last year Nico was a senior.

What the h ell is going on with the running backs? They keep leaving the program even when they're looking at 2-3 years of a lot of playing time.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

evilpoke wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:09 pm This is bad. :willybs: no sugar coating.

The Pokes are a run-first team (even when we have a top 10 NFL draft quarterback) and there is ONE guy who has run the ball in a college game on the roster. At least last year Nico was a senior.
Technically walk-on RB Brett Brenton has received a few carries as well. The point stands that the RB position lacks experience.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Bohl has been pretty high on Valladay this spring. He's added 10 pounds since the end of the season and has been looking good. Reow Jackson, who got hurt before the season started, is also in the mix this season. Lastly, we have 3 highly rated running backs coming in. Probably the most impressive group of running backs Wyoming has ever signed on paper. It does suck Bigelow decided to leave....but I don't think it puts the Pokes into to much of a bind.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:35 pm Damn. That is a big loss and a real bummer because he has talent and a different skill set than Valladay. Pure guess, but I am wondering if someone at Fresno State wasn't in his ear to transfer there. His hometown is Fresno but they didn't offer him a scholly apparently for whatever reason.

True sophomore Valladay is basically the only returning RB with any experience. I guess it is good the freshman class was loaded with RBs because they will be called on now.
Bigelow transfers to Fresno State.
https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/colleg ... 76647.html

Like I thought, someone associated with Fresno was in his ear.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Sounds like he just wanted to go home. Next
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:17 am Sounds like he just wanted to go home. Next
Is there a new rule where transfers don’t need to sit a year anymore? I thought I remember something like that. Also, technically speaking, could bohl block him from playing at Fresno if he wanted to be a dick?
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:55 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:17 am Sounds like he just wanted to go home. Next
Is there a new rule where transfers don’t need to sit a year anymore? I thought I remember something like that. Also, technically speaking, could bohl block him from playing at Fresno if he wanted to be a dick?
I think he'll almost certainly have to sit out the year, in fact isn't there something like you have to sit our two for an in-conference transfer?
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

I think most conferences have a rule where you can not transfer to an in-conference school? Apparently not in the MWC.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 am
laxwyo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:55 pm
I think he'll almost certainly have to sit out the year, in fact isn't there something like you have to sit our two for an in-conference transfer?
None of this is true.

Bigelow will likely have to sit out this year but he has a redshirt to use anyways (**see below). There are no conference rules restricting transfers anymore (not the MWC had any) and transfers must generally be handled through the NCAA transfer portal process. The NCAA has basically eliminated the ability of coaches to block transfers to certain schools; this is certainly fair given the fact that coaches are on a constant carousel.

For FBS to FBS transfers, football players must sit out a year UNLESS the NCAA grants a hardship waiver. Hardship waivers can be granted for a myriad of reasons. Recently the NCAA has granted waivers to players leaving Ole Miss because Ole Miss was facing possible bowl/scholly sanctions. Bigelow probably has an argument for a hardship waiver because Fresno is home...perhaps he could argue that his family needed him nearby or that he needed additional family support and thus needed to transfer close to home.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

TrackPoke wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:00 am I think most conferences have a rule where you can not transfer to an in-conference school? Apparently not in the MWC.
Not permissible under NCAA rules anymore.

Just found an article so everyone need not just take my word: http://www.startribune.com/ncaa-s-datab ... 513369282/
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

Article on Bigelow:
https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/colleg ... 76647.html

Interesting paragraph from the article regarding homegrown transfers:

"Quarterback Marcus McMaryion, who stopped by practice on Thursday, transferred to Fresno State after starting his career at Oregon State and the Bulldogs this season have several homegrown transfers on the roster including Harris (Tulare Union, Washington State), wideout Derrion Grim (Stockton, Nebraska), defensive end Leevel Tatum III (Edison, UNLV), defensive tackle Kurtis Brown (Bakersfield, Arizona), linebacker David Tate Jr. (Edison, UNLV), linebacker Jacob Hollins (Central, Illinois) and defensive tackle Ricky McCoy (Roosevelt, Washington)."