University of Wyoming to get a new President!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Wow, this was very unexpected and almost out of nowhere. President Nichols will move to a faculty position when her term expires on June 30, 2019.

Statement from Board:
“The Board of Trustees is excited for future opportunities for the University of Wyoming, the state of Wyoming and its citizens,” board Chairman Dave True says. “The board thanks President Nichols for her service and wishes her and her husband, Tim, well.”
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

"A Ram Through and Through"

Well...that didn't play out too long. Moving on.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

When USA presidents leave, they pardon people. When she leaves can she can Burman and Edwards.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I have a real problem with the Board of Trustees not being transparent with its apparent decision not to renew Nichols’ contract. The board is citing it being a ‘personnel matter.’ This is the President of the University and not some administrative assistant or adjunct faculty member and the public has a right to know!! The Casper and Cheyenne papers better be all over this with FOIA (freedom of information act) requests. Very concerning that this is all hush hush.

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regiona ... e-breaking
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:23 pm "A Ram Through and Through"

Well...that didn't play out too long. Moving on.
ha ha yes. However, I do think she did a good job on everything outside of athletics. She took over at a bad time for us and guided us through it. I will say I'm sick of them shoving diversity down our throats, but I guess that's everywhere.

She was a cheap hire and I don't think she was meant to be a long-term president
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Also, I hope the BOT is not public with the hiring process as they were the last time. This keeps a lot of good & qualified candidates from applying.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:46 pm Also, I hope the BOT is not public with the hiring process as they were the last time. This keeps a lot of good & qualified candidates from applying.
I am afraid that a lot of good and qualified candidates are going to look at the instability of the President position at the University of Wyoming over the past 5 years, the fact that the outgoing President came in during rough financial times and seemed to guide the University through that and still was not retained by the BOT, and perhaps pass on applying for those reasons. It's tough to ask a qualified candidate with a current good job to uproot their family to move to Laramie under those circumstances.

The BOT really needs to be transparent with its recent decision. I really hope we can find a good President but I am nervous for sure.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:56 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:46 pm Also, I hope the BOT is not public with the hiring process as they were the last time. This keeps a lot of good & qualified candidates from applying.
I am afraid that a lot of good and qualified candidates are going to look at the instability of the President position at the University of Wyoming over the past 5 years, the fact that the outgoing President came in during rough financial times and seemed to guide the University through that and still was not retained by the BOT, and perhaps pass on applying for those reasons. It's tough to ask a qualified candidate with a current good job to uproot their family to move to Laramie under those circumstances.

The BOT really needs to be transparent with its recent decision. I really hope we can find a good President but I am nervous for sure.
Meh, I have been very unimpressed with this President. The decision to axe the vocations education program while pushing more of the programs that do little to nothing to help the state economy is but one example of piss poor leadership. A worthwhile candidate will see that and the opportunity presented here.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Expat_Poke wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Meh, I have been very unimpressed with this President. The decision to axe the vocations education program while pushing more of the programs that do little to nothing to help the state economy is but one example of piss poor leadership. A worthwhile candidate will see that and the opportunity presented here.
Since I haven't been paying a ton of attention to what the university's doing academically lately, are there any financially useful programs they're pushing these days? Did the Engineering building get restored yet, or is it still falling apart, just like it was 15 years ago?
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

The instability is terrible. The only presidents that have succeeded have been hired within (since 1997).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:10 pm
Expat_Poke wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Since I haven't been paying a ton of attention to what the university's doing academically lately, are there any financially useful programs they're pushing these days? Did the Engineering building get restored yet, or is it still falling apart, just like it was 15 years ago?
The university just completed the brand new engineering building and research facility. It’s one of the most impressive buildings I’ve seen on any campus.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WyoBrandX wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:28 pm

The instability is terrible. The only presidents that have succeeded have been hired within (since 1997).
It’s hard to say that Nichols didn’t succeed given the hand she was dealt to begin with. My understanding is that she was fairly well liked amongst faculty (I could be wrong but that’s what I’ve heard)...which makes the decision all the more confusing and why the BOT needs to detail the reasons behind their decision.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

This sums up my thoughts pretty well. The trustees are creating a poop. 5 presidents in 6 years? that's pathetic. We deserve some explainations. I wonder if this paragraph from this piece has anything to do with her outster.
Moreover, Nichols was also quite effective at communicating with the trustees on behalf of the faculty, a sometimes puzzling relationship that is often fraught with tension. Nichols sided with the faculty on two major disagreements – once, when the board attempted to rewrite the regulations guiding trustee authority, and again when the trustees swept over $100 million from various campus accounts.
They want someone who will agree with them and be a yes man and willingly give more power to the trustees.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:21 pm The university just completed the brand new engineering building and research facility. It’s one of the most impressive buildings I’ve seen on any campus.
That's great to hear. It was sorely needed. Hopefully they're paying the faculty well enough to provide quality education as well :)
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:38 am This sums up my thoughts pretty well. The trustees are creating a poop. 5 presidents in 6 years? that's pathetic. We deserve some explainations. I wonder if this paragraph from this piece has anything to do with her outster.

They want someone who will agree with them and be a yes man and willingly give more power to the trustees.
This possible power grab is one of the only logical conclusions us on the outside of things can come to given the deafening silence of the Board and the information out there. The thing is that there are some very intelligent people on that Board that do have a passion for the University of Wyoming so I have a hard time believing that they don't have reasons beyond the power grab.

But if the Board does not adequately publicly explain itself, it is really hard to trust the BOT and that has some serious implications for the University. This is the President of the sole University of the State of Wyoming and I believe that its citizens deserve an answer. If the BOT refuses to provide that transparency, then alternatives may need to be looked at. It is never good governance to say 'we can't tell you but you need to trust us regardless.' Transparency and honesty shouldn't be that hard!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Too bad nobody wants to live in Lartown
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand

Everything I have heard the engineering facilities were completed because the College of Engineering made it happen and had little to do with the president. There are a number of things she has done that has left me unimpressed. :twocents:

Oredigger, ever consider that the BOT are keeping their reasons quiet out of respect for Nichols and her professional reputation?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Expat_Poke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:55 pm Everything I have heard the engineering facilities were completed because the College of Engineering made it happen and had little to do with the president. There are a number of things she has done that has left me unimpressed. :twocents:

Oredigger, ever consider that the BOT are keeping their reasons quiet out of respect for Nichols and her professional reputation?
Engineering facilities were planned before Nichols as I understand. Haven't heard anyone say that was the result of the President (other than perhaps lobbying the legislature for funds).

Absolutely that is a possibility as are a myriad of other possibilities. That said, when you are a public figure such as a President of the University, you should expect that your job and job performance is subject to public knowledge and scrutiny. You go in knowing this and if you are not comfortable with that then you don't take the job. The BOT simply needs to be transparent in my opinion. If the BOT is not transparent they are doing themselves no favors and are opening themselves up to skepticism.

I've never said that I am for or against the BOT's decision. As a Wyoming resident, I simply want to know why.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:33 am
Expat_Poke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:55 pm Everything I have heard the engineering facilities were completed because the College of Engineering made it happen and had little to do with the president. There are a number of things she has done that has left me unimpressed. :twocents:

Engineering facilities were planned before Nichols as I understand. Haven't heard anyone say that was the result of the President (other than perhaps lobbying the legislature for funds).

Absolutely that is a possibility as are a myriad of other possibilities. That said, when you are a public figure such as a President of the University, you should expect that your job and job performance is subject to public knowledge and scrutiny. You go in knowing this and if you are not comfortable with that then you don't take the job. The BOT simply needs to be transparent in my opinion. If the BOT is not transparent they are doing themselves no favors and are opening themselves up to skepticism.

I've never said that I am for or against the BOT's decision. As a Wyoming resident, I simply want to know why.
Fair enough and understandable on the last part. I guess I was just very unimpressed (and that is putting it kindly) that I am not surprised to see her stepping down/canned and see plenty of reasons why.

This next hire needs to be a home run though.