University of Wyoming to get a new President!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:25 pm
WyoBrandX wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:28 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:56 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:46 pm Also, I hope the BOT is not public with the hiring process as they were the last time. This keeps a lot of good & qualified candidates from applying.
I am afraid that a lot of good and qualified candidates are going to look at the instability of the President position at the University of Wyoming over the past 5 years, the fact that the outgoing President came in during rough financial times and seemed to guide the University through that and still was not retained by the BOT, and perhaps pass on applying for those reasons. It's tough to ask a qualified candidate with a current good job to uproot their family to move to Laramie under those circumstances.

The BOT really needs to be transparent with its recent decision. I really hope we can find a good President but I am nervous for sure.
The instability is terrible. The only presidents that have succeeded have been hired within (since 1997).
It’s hard to say that Nichols didn’t succeed given the hand she was dealt to begin with. My understanding is that she was fairly well liked amongst faculty (I could be wrong but that’s what I’ve heard)...which makes the decision all the more confusing and why the BOT needs to detail the reasons behind their decision.
I'd think overall I'd call it succesful. She came in at a rough time. I've met her a few times and she has been nice. I know the faculty likes her (for the most part, always a few outliers). Enrollment is up, budgets are down, morale is good. I really wonder what the reasoning is.

Maybe they are switching directions - the world needs less cowboys and more cowpokes. Hell if I know.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I would agree she came in during a tough time and did a respectable job for what she had to deal with. Of course her "Always a Ram" comment certainly didn't make a good impression on me to start her presidency.

More concerning is that the BOT has not released a reason and is not being transparent about their decision or the hiring process for the next President. This is par for the course with the BOT.
I'm good for 3!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

A lot of disgruntled donors / boosters / alumni around the state right now because of this.

Maybe Gordon needs to drain the swamp, and start over with a fresh group.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:19 pm A lot of disgruntled donors / boosters / alumni around the state right now because of this.

Concerning the BOT there was a measure on the ballot a couple elections ago regarding the BOT and they must live in Wyoming to be on the BOT. I believe it passed, so all the members of the BOT are Wyoming residents. This was a bad thing. There are a lot of highly-qualified people out there that care dearly about the university & state that do not live in Wyoming. Not sure why I brought this up, but it seems to be relevant
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regiona ... op-story-1

Updated article...Nichols doesn't even know why the Board chose not to retain her? The Board continues to maintain its silence. All very concerning from my perspective. We should strive for transparency in government...so far, this appears to be anything but.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

"The search for Nichols’ replacement will be “open and transparent,” True said in the release" - That's Laughable. The Governor should be demanding transparency and accountability from the BOT. Are they just being arrogant or plain stupid to think there would be no backlash over letting the University president go without providing a reason?

Very sad and disappointing to see my beloved university now be a joke in Athletics & Academia. Mediocre is winning!
I'm good for 3!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:09 pm
McPeachy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:19 pm A lot of disgruntled donors / boosters / alumni around the state right now because of this.

Concerning the BOT there was a measure on the ballot a couple elections ago regarding the BOT and they must live in Wyoming to be on the BOT. I believe it passed, so all the members of the BOT are Wyoming residents. This was a bad thing. There are a lot of highly-qualified people out there that care dearly about the university & state that do not live in Wyoming. Not sure why I brought this up, but it seems to be relevant
Agree it was a bad thing. Very. And you are right, there are a lot of great candidates outside of the state that would be much, much better than the UW BOT poop show we have right now. No matter the "reason" for not renewing the Ram Lady's contract, it was handled about as poorly as could be.
Dear Karma,

Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

What exactly are the trustees supposed to say? They can't say anything meaningful without inviting a lawsuit.

The fact that she isn't being fired indicates we're not talking about malfeasance or wrong-doing. So everything else would be pointless to discuss in public.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:30 pm What exactly are the trustees supposed to say? They can't say anything meaningful without inviting a lawsuit.

The fact that she isn't being fired indicates we're not talking about malfeasance or wrong-doing. So everything else would be pointless to discuss in public.
Lawsuit for what? Nichols has a 3 year contract that isn’t being renewed. There is no right to a renewal that has been indicated. The only claim that I can even remotely think of would be some sort of discrimination claim and that is really really reaching. Not even to mention the doctrine of sovereign immunity.

I’m sorry that you find that asking the governing board of the one 4 year university in the state to be transparent and truthful to the tax paying public pointless, as a Wyoming resident I sure don’t agree with you.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:57 pm
Lost Poke wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:30 pm What exactly are the trustees supposed to say? They can't say anything meaningful without inviting a lawsuit.

Lawsuit for what? Nichols has a 3 year contract that isn’t being renewed. There is no right to a renewal that has been indicated. The only claim that I can even remotely think of would be some sort of discrimination claim and that is really really reaching. Not even to mention the doctrine of sovereign immunity.

I’m sorry that you find that asking the governing board of the one 4 year university in the state to be transparent and truthful to the tax paying public pointless, as a Wyoming resident I sure don’t agree with you.
^ This ^

Spot on accurate. The BOT needs to be held accountable for their actions & reactions.
Dear Karma,

Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

The BOT has to be held accountable for why we have had so many presidents in so few years.

There is nothing they can say about the soon-to-be former president that can't be used against them. What do schools say when they don't extend a coach's contract? Nothing. Same thing here, for the same reason.

I think in this situation they have to be even more careful, because she has to be an employee since she's falling back to a faculty position.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Lost Poke wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:09 pm

The BOT has to be held accountable for why we have had so many presidents in so few years.

There is nothing they can say about the soon-to-be former president that can't be used against them. What do schools say when they don't extend a coach's contract? Nothing. Same thing here, for the same reason.

I think in this situation they have to be even more careful, because she has to be an employee since she's falling back to a faculty position.
I really doubt she is going to be a faculty next year at UW. Ive been told its standard practice to keep former presidents on when something like this happens but they mostly go elsewhere. I don't know why she would hang around. I wouldn't if I was her.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:23 am
Lost Poke wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:09 pm

I really doubt she is going to be a faculty next year at UW. Ive been told its standard practice to keep former presidents on when something like this happens but they mostly go elsewhere. I don't know why she would hang around. I wouldn't if I was her.
Not to hold a grudge for 3 years...but maybe she can get a job at CSewe since she is a f-word ram through and through.
Dear Karma,

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Faculty senate to vote on resolution for Board to be transparent. This is getting absurd, the BOT needs to do the right thing and be transparent and let the public know why it chose not to renew Nichols.

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regiona ... the-latest
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Maybe if CU messes around and doesn't hire their sole finalist we could step in and get him
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

303cowboy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:27 pm Maybe if CU messes around and doesn't hire their sole finalist we could step in and get him
I’m hearing rumors as to who the interim President may be. If it is confirmed to be this person, then the University could be in big trouble.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

I've heard some third hand rumblings that the board canned Nichols so that they could hire Matt Mead to run the university. This was heard through the grapevine, so take it with a grain of salt.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:39 pm I've heard some third hand rumblings that the board canned Nichols so that they could hire Matt Mead to run the university. This was heard through the grapevine, so take it with a grain of salt.
That rumor has been out there. Mead isn’t who I’m hearing for interim President.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:45 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:39 pm I've heard some third hand rumblings that the board canned Nichols so that they could hire Matt Mead to run the university. This was heard through the grapevine, so take it with a grain of salt.
That rumor has been out there. Mead isn’t who I’m hearing for interim President.
I'm all ears..
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:45 pm
Dave Freudenthal?