Could be important year...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

How critical is this year? If football and bball struggle again, will fingers start pointing at areas other than coaches? Are all areas other than coaches safe? Have we officially bought into the dogma that hurdles are just too high to expect to consistently field top 60 teams? First it was unrealistic to catch Utah, TCU, and byu because of budget differences. Now usu, bsu, sdsu, and fsu are simply unattainable because WYO has unique challenges? Is that reality or just what is accepeted by most?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Basketball has no breathing room next season. Football, eh...it's not amazing, but the fact that 6-6 is considered a down year illustrates the progress Bohl has made. Stability/depth at QB + an easier schedule should result in a 7-5/8-4 type season.

Now isn't the time to be side eying the panic button, IMO. The new football facility is going to transform recruiting in the coming 2-4 years. I would be concerned if the team finishes under 6-6, but my not entirely reliable gut just isn't feeling it. 7-5/8-4 with 6-6/9-3 as the swings depending if the ball bounces hard one way or the other feels right.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:02 pm How critical is this year? If football and bball struggle again, will fingers start pointing at areas other than coaches? Are all areas other than coaches safe? Have we officially bought into the dogma that hurdles are just too high to expect to consistently field top 60 teams? First it was unrealistic to catch Utah, TCU, and byu because of budget differences. Now usu, bsu, sdsu, and fsu are simply unattainable because WYO has unique challenges? Is that reality or just what is accepeted by most?
This question nails it, and I would even widen the circle out beyond the administration. The "unique challenges" thing is not actually all that unique. I have family that are rabid fans of other wyo-level programs, and it is tougher than ever to carve out a relevant niche. Budget, location, fan apathy, etc. etc. All of these things conspire to make it tough, not just for Wyoming. Football is the poster child for this effect. The amount of resources and community/state/university buy-in for top-level football is pretty huge....it's getting tougher to make that ask. For every successful mid-level Fball program there are 10 circling the drain. BBall is easier to do it with, but I feel like the effect is still there.