New coach hired

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Indeed. He's got good experience
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Sounds like he has more/better experience at DC than our current DC. That seems odd to me.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:44 pm Sounds like he has more/better experience at DC than our current DC. That seems odd to me.
Our current DC is a fit since he's already been here. This guy might have plans to go elsewhere after this year and we're a bit of a stop gap, in which case giving him the DC spot would put us in a weird spot.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 21 times

I think your probably right about this being a short stay, but with his experience I'll be glad to have him around to mentor Dickert for however long he stays.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

On paper he looks like a great hire. My concern is, why would a guy with that much experience settle for a step down position in a town like Laramie? Is there something else going on here?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:17 am On paper he looks like a great hire. My concern is, why would a guy with that much experience settle for a step down position in a town like Laramie? Is there something else going on here?
It was late in the process and rather than taking a job he didn't want at a higher salary he settled for a position coach job to likely move on next year. I don't know his contract but he was making $480,000 as a DC and was to be paid through June 30 according to the article. Due to offset language, he likely makes very similar money whether he takes a higher paying DC job that he doesn't really want long term or a linebackers job for a year.

From Wyoming's perspective, it is a home run. You bring in a guy with a lot of experience for one year to help bring the younger staff along. Because of his existing contract that runs through June 30, you likely don't have to pay much for him either.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:35 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:17 am On paper he looks like a great hire. My concern is, why would a guy with that much experience settle for a step down position in a town like Laramie? Is there something else going on here?
It was late in the process and rather than taking a job he didn't want at a higher salary he settled for a position coach job to likely move on next year. I don't know his contract but he was making $480,000 as a DC and was to be paid through June 30 according to the article. Due to offset language, he likely makes very similar money whether he takes a higher paying DC job that he doesn't really want long term or a linebackers job for a year.

From Wyoming's perspective, it is a home run. You bring in a guy with a lot of experience for one year to help bring the younger staff along. Because of his existing contract that runs through June 30, you likely don't have to pay much for him either.
Makes sense. Hope he works out!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:35 am

Agree with everything you said. One point on the bolded. He is likely making about the same as the other position coaches are by UW (around $150,000) and then Rutgers is paying the balance of what he was owed with them for the next 5 months (~$27K/month). If you meant that we are getting a coordinator's mind for an assistant's price tag, then I totally agree.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

As a side note, I'm hoping this means he sees our defensive unit as more or less a lock to be good this year, so having his name associated with Wyoming's defense is a solid career move.

Even though options are always limited this time of year, I'm sure there are plenty of schools who would've loved to give him a position coach spot.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:18 pm If you meant that we are getting a coordinator's mind for an assistant's price tag, then I totally agree.
Yes, that is what I meant. He brings a $500k pedigree signed to a roughly $150k yearly contract cost to UW.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

Looks like Niemann is already gone. According to football scoop he got hired by Iowa to be their D tackles coach. Thought I read somewhere that he has a kid playing for Iowa.

UW LB coach heading to Iowa
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:09 pm Looks like Niemann is already gone. According to football scoop he got hired by Iowa to be their D tackles coach. Thought I read somewhere that he has a kid playing for Iowa.

UW LB coach heading to Iowa
Damn not surprising but very disappointing. The hits seem to keep coming this offseason.
Botheg
Buckaroo

I guess people who said this would be a short stay for Niemann were right. I hope we might be getting better quality coaches because someone like that signed for us, even for a short time.
I think these fat burners for men will surprise you with their effectiveness.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Thanks for nothing Niemann
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Wow. Easy come, Easy go. Seems to be the environment of coaching these days. Isn't that now 2 coaches that were hired and already left before the season?

We wonder why players aren't loyal, the coaching carousel doesn't set a good example.
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Botheg wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:55 am I guess people who said this would be a short stay for Niemann were right. I hope we might be getting better quality coaches because someone like that signed for us, even for a short time.
The stars lined up on that hire (and then went away). Wyoming likely won't be signing many position coaches with significant P5 coordinator experience. It is the reality of the MWC and our coaching budget.
KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

And Vigen remains - BUMMER
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

KeepitrealWyo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:08 pm And Vigen remains - BUMMER
The difference being nobody else wants Vigen.