Granderson in trouble

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:15 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:23 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:05 pm If that's all he did, the charges are ridiculous. Here's a thought: Hey girls, if you don't want to get groped, don't sleep in the same bed as a male.
You have to be kidding me! Who knows the relationship between Granderson and the girls but you are saying that sleeping in the same bed as someone is automatically an invitation to be groped? Thats F******* ridiculous!

I can think of multiple times during college (and some thereafter) where I ended up sleeping in the same bed as some female that I wasn't in any sort of relationship with because the person(s) was merely being responsible and didn't want to drive home drunk and didn't want to sleep on the floor either. That didn't give any rights to grope the other person.
Another poster who really has no clue. Yes, that's what I'm saying. If you, (a college age female) sleeps in the same bed as a college age male, there's a very good chance his hands may wander during the night. What a surprise! It may have been an accident. What people do while they are unconscious or semi conscious is hardly predictable. What if one of them groped him? Do you think he would have pressed charges? Unlikely. Incredible waste of taxpayer money.
His hand happened to wonder down her pants......
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

calpoke25 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:45 pm So if your daughter was the deed assaulted in some similar circumstance you would say “sorry honey, but you shouldn’t have dressed that way and gotten drunk and gone to that party and passed out in a college aged males bed. You had it coming. Let’s not ruin your assaulters life because you made a bad choice.” GTFOH with that.

I don’t know what Carl’s case is, let him have his due process. But poor judgement is not a crime. the deed assault is. You cannot equate the two. You cannot say we reduce the punishment of the criminal because the victim made a poor choice and put themselves in a vulnerable position.

If I walk down the street with a million dollars cash in my hand and I get robbed you can’t let the robber off because it’s “understandable” and I made a poor choice. That’s not how this works.
Damn straight!!!! If this was my daughter I’d be pissed.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Vapoke
Cowpoke

Who was the prosecuting attorney in the case? He/she made a deal with the defense counsel, but clearly left out the victims.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Well, that is likely the end of his football career.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Wow.....this doesn't look good for anyone. Really don't see a coaches wife suggesting transfer as a bad thing because it appears the shaming was occurring. poop deal all around and suprised he got actual immediate jail time.

I do wonder how the other players were handled as in being told to stay out of it etc. Either way an uncomfortable situation and looks horrible.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Something doesn't feel right about the plea deal. I am not sure how the DA can come to a deal and then the judge reject it. Is there really that much lack of communication between the DA, Defense, and Judge? No way was this a secret prior to the proceedings.
I feel bad for the victims being strung through the court proceedings.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Vapoke wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:43 am Who was the prosecuting attorney in the case? He/she made a deal with the defense counsel, but clearly left out the victims.
"Becky Farley, a prosecutor for the Albany County Attorney’s Office, said the plea deal Kricken rejected had been “well put together and thought out.” "
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:54 pm Something doesn't feel right about the plea deal. I am not sure how the DA can come to a deal and then the judge reject it. Is there really that much lack of communication between the DA, Defense, and Judge? No way was this a secret prior to the proceedings.
I'm not a criminal law expert, but the article does suggest that the victims were largely left out of the plea deal negotiation. I actually tend to believe that is appropriate to an extent because the victims aren't necessarily going to understand the legal/ethical hurdles the prosecution may face at trial. From a prosecution standpoint, the prosecution may have felt that it was going to be a difficult case to prove the felony beyond a reasonable doubt at trial (he said - she said is a tough case). From a defense standpoint, I don't think you can chance a trial with 2 persons' word against 1 person's word with a potentially lengthy sentence at stake.

I also feel very bad for the young victims (said to be freshmen). This is going to impact them for the rest of their lives and it will be very difficult (if not impossible) for them to continue their academic and athletic careers at the University of Wyoming. I do hope the University will step up and offer them proper support. It brings me to tears hearing how these 18-19 year old kids have been emotionally impacted regardless as to all of the facts.

That said - I also believe this probably effectively ends Granderson's NFL football career.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:36 pm
Vapoke wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:54 pm Something doesn't feel right about the plea deal. I am not sure how the DA can come to a deal and then the judge reject it. Is there really that much lack of communication between the DA, Defense, and Judge? No way was this a secret prior to the proceedings.
I'm not a criminal law expert, but the article does suggest that the victims were largely left out of the plea deal negotiation. I actually tend to believe that is appropriate to an extent because the victims aren't necessarily going to understand the legal/ethical hurdles the prosecution may face at trial. From a prosecution standpoint, the prosecution may have felt that it was going to be a difficult case to prove the felony beyond a reasonable doubt at trial (he said - she said is a tough case). From a defense standpoint, I don't think you can chance a trial with 2 persons' word against 1 person's word with a potentially lengthy sentence at stake.

I also feel very bad for the young victims (said to be freshmen). This is going to impact them for the rest of their lives and it will be very difficult (if not impossible) for them to continue their academic and athletic careers at the University of Wyoming. I do hope the University will step up and offer them proper support. It brings me to tears hearing how these 18-19 year old kids have been emotionally impacted regardless as to all of the facts.

That said - I also believe this probably effectively ends Granderson's NFL football career.
Well said Oredigger. Does Ms. Farley just go about her day now? Since the plea deal wasn't honored will the defense team challenge it?
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I haven't been keeping up to date on this so sorry if this is a dumb question...
but wasn't Granderson's plea before today "not guilty"? So if the judge rejects the new plea then the original "not guilty" plea stands and it goes to the scheduled jury trial? It seems like there's a lot of disconnect between the prosecution and defense...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:45 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Well said Oredigger. Does Ms. Farley just go about her day now? Since the plea deal wasn't honored will the defense team challenge it?
Once again, my expertise is far from criminal law. It sounds like the guilty plea was not conditioned upon the judge accepting the recommended sentence. Therefore, I think Granderson is stuck with his guilty plea to the misdemeanors and the sentence is at the discretion of the Judge which is for 6 months. Perhaps the defense may file a motion attempting to withdraw the guilty plea, I don't know.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 pm I haven't been keeping up to date on this so sorry if this is a dumb question...
but wasn't Granderson's plea before today "not guilty"? So if the judge rejects the new plea then the original "not guilty" plea stands and it goes to the scheduled jury trial? It seems like there's a lot of disconnect between the prosecution and defense...
I believe Granderson made a change of plea (not guilty to guilty) in exchange for the felony being dropped down to a misdemeanor. The prosecution and defense both recommended probation for a sentence as part of the plea agreement but the Judge apparently rejected the recommendation and ordered 6 months of jail time (judges have discretion to accept/reject plea agreements and recommended sentences). Perhaps the defense may file a motion to withdraw the guilty plea due to the sentence imposed by the Judge, I don't know.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

His plea was from Not guilty to No contest
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:33 pm His plea was from Not guilty to No contest
Thanks for the clarification. From a criminal perspective, I believe they have nearly the same effect. The reason to plead 'no contest' from a civil perspective is to not admit liability in the event of a civil suit (i.e. the victim suing Granderson).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Seems like the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Why so harsh?? I thought probation would be the max. Geez
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:47 am Seems like the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Why so harsh?? I thought probation would be the max. Geez
:? For the factual basis of what he plead no contest to, he got off really light. Had he been tried and convicted of the felony charge (that the prosecutors dropped in exchange for the plea), he would be facing serious prison time.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Grandesons girl is a stud. And one of the most important rep of Wyoming if they use it. And I think she will make him a better person if they stick.

I want to see Wyoming stick w granderson and help him if possible/needed. Him and the chick (who is a Wyoming all American athlete/worldwide semi celeb)

I don't know anything about grandson other than instagram of Ja'la I think it's awesome that they seem humble about this and have been 100% positive about Wyoming and UW. Would seem super easy for them to get out and throw some blame. But these 2 with thousands of followers are proud cowboys in their worst times??

I like grandson more thN ever because he will make It as a person
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... 576d7.html

Granderson seeks to have his sentence overturned citing an 'illegal sentence' and 'new evidence.' I'm not sure how the sentence could be 'illegal' because 6 months fits under the sentencing guidelines for what he plead no contest to. Will be interesting but I doubt the court vacates the sentence and will likely be appealed to the Wyoming Supreme Court.