Recruiting States: California and Texas

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

15 of the 22 signed so far are from California and Texas. Not a single player signed from Colorado!

I guess we will have to see how it all works out but I really dislike the fact it looks like we are abandoning the State of Colorado where a lot of talent can be found and where players tend to stick with the program.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I'm sure they are recruiting Colorado, they just didn't get any commits from CO this year. A quick look at 247 shows that Wyo offered at least 10 kids from Colorado in this class.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

It's pretty hard to argue that there hasn't been a big shift recently in recruiting philosophy. I believe that we have signed around 3-4 CO players every year 2014-2018. The only Texas signee that I am aware of between 2014-2018 is Rocket and he was a JUCO. This year we have signed 7 from Texas and none from Colorado. That's just too much of a statistical anomaly to argue that there hasn't been a change in recruiting philosophy.

All of the Texas players appear to be very impressive on paper and I hope all of the Texas players turn out to be great fits for the program. I'm just a little nervous from our recent history of TX players not sticking with the program. That said, I believe Roach and Tiller were pretty successful with TX players.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

I don't think there was any less emphasis in recruiting Colorado than normal, it was just that most of the prospects were either top of the line prospects who went the P5 route(Nebraska,Colorado, Oregon, Stanford) or weren't MWC caliber players. CSU got two instate commits is all and we had offered both of those players. Recruiting is never a uniform thing so no need to panic after one year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I don't think we are stepping away from CO, as others have said it just didn't work out. We couldn't bring in the 'P5' caliber ones and a couple others stupidly chose the sheep over us (I guess they want to be losers and go through a coaching transition and lose to us every year).

But, yeah, CA has always been a huge area for us, but Texas is new. Huge emphasis on Texas this year.. that is new and we'll see how it works out. The Texas guys are, on paper, the most talented, but that often doesn't amount to a hill of beans
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The best of programs do. You don't see Boise winning 10+ games annually with kids from surrounding states.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:02 am The best of programs do. You don't see Boise winning 10+ games annually with kids from surrounding states.
That's a good point. Boise has been very CA heavy for a long time with a few TX players mixed in.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

One thing that just occurred to me is that TX recruiting and retention of players might be greatly benefited by the recent addition of the daily Cheyenne to Dallas flight (to go to 2 flights per day over the summer). A player from Fort Worth for instance now merely need to drive the 20 minutes to DFW, catch the Cheyenne flight and drive over the hill to Laramie. It takes all of 15 minutes to check a bag and go through security in Cheyenne and parking is free. Perhaps this has had a little bit to do with the recent shift to TX.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

We did get a few preferred walk ons from CO:

TE Vance Brazile, 6-4, 225, Cherry Creek HS
CB Jack Thiele, CB, Pomona HS
RB Jeremy Hollingsworth, 5-9, 205, Skyline HS
OL Mason Schultz, 6-4, 225, Grandview HS

ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

TrackPoke wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 am We did get a few preferred walk ons from CO:

I love this. Take talent out of Colorado without it costing you an immediate scholarship. Have you cake and eat it too.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

TrackPoke wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 am We did get a few preferred walk ons from CO:

I’m willing to bet that two of those 4 will be starters at some point. Bohl’s walk-on program has been great
W-Y, Until I Die!