Jake Dickert Promoted to DC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Bohl hires within.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Can we get a new WR coach? I wonder who they bring in for Linebacker Coach?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Bohl needed to knock this hire outta the ballpark. Honestly, this move could get Bohl fired. Hope I'm wrong but....
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Wyokie wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:54 pm Bohl needed to knock this hire outta the ballpark. Honestly, this move could get Bohl fired. Hope I'm wrong but....
Agreed Wyokie. Dickert doesn't exactly have a lengthy resume, you can read about it here:

https://gowyo.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1235&path=football

I'm not saying he isn't going to be any good, but damn, going from an NFL guy to a guy who has mostly coached at the DII level as your main guy....I don't get it. Hope he proves to be a great hire, but if not, I agree it could be the nail in Bohl's coaching coffin.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Reality
Buckaroo

I agree that this is a major reach. His resume certainly doesn't show much for stability and lots of questions regarding recruiting, from my view. He must interview well as being a former D3 player probably doesn't elevate him to our level. Could be the nail.....
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Eh, this is pretty underwhelming. I guess we'll see how things go. I hope he took copious notes from Hazelton
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Reality wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:16 pm I agree that this is a major reach. His resume certainly doesn't show much for stability and lots of questions regarding recruiting, from my view. He must interview well as being a former D3 player probably doesn't elevate him to our level. Could be the nail.....
You know who else played D3 football? Bill Belichick! And I think most would agree that he's decent.

Hell, Hazelton played at a D2, and not a very good D2 (Fort Lewis), so not sure what paying career has to do with it.

This hire doesn't surprise me, at this time of year Bohl was going to have a hell of a time bringing in anyone that would be a significant improvement over internal candidates.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Here we go. Training wheels have been taken off by Bohl. Big coaching loss, big personnel losses...time to see if that culture is paying off.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I have no problem with this hire. He was with Bohl in ND, he was a successful DC at a smaller school then spent the last couple years here at UW coaching our best unit position. I say he has earned a shot.

It wasn't a can't miss hire but often times promotions from within work out great and can lead to coaches sticking around longer if they are successful.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

TSpoke wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 am then spent the last couple years here at UW coaching our best unit position. I say he has earned a shot.
This is the main thing that makes me hopeful. He's helped develop some really solid players and had two years of Hazelton's guidance. He's not likely to completely change any systems, so the players should be pretty comfortable.

That said, with how many key players our defense has lost, he definitely doesn't have the odds stacked in his favor.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I trust Bohl knows what he's doing and I'm sure the timeline wasn't great. Still, I wonder how much searching they did? The salary Burman had in place for DC was very respectable (I'm assuming it went down with this hire).

Regardless, hiring within, keeping Vigen, and 6 years in should make this year a judgement- like year for the direction of the program under Bohl. Beating a bunch of CFB dregs to get to 6 wins, IMO, won't be sufficient.

I like Bohl and think he's on the right track. Still, I think there needs to be significant progress this season.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

The reach is saying that this hire could get Bohl fired before spring ball has even started for Dickert.

Bohl will get a new DC before he is fired and it is gonna take a lot for him to ever be fired anyway. I think Bohl has earned trust on his decisions and choices at this point. Why don't we let this one play out before we make any more leaps...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

gopokes1399 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:00 pm The reach is saying that this hire could get Bohl fired before spring ball has even started for Dickert.

Bohl will get a new DC before he is fired and it is gonna take a lot for him to ever be fired anyway. I think Bohl has earned trust on his decisions and choices at this point. Why don't we let this one play out before we make any more leaps...
Agreed. This hire in no way will determine Bohl's job at Wyoming at least for the next 3 years or so. Bohl's job is pretty darn safe after guiding the Pokes to 3 consecutive bowl eligible seasons for the first time in a long time. Those that think Bohl's job is currently on the line are very misguided.

Addressing other points:
Personally, I believed that we should have looked outside the program to try and bring in another Hazelton type given the significant amount of money that we likely had to pay a DC. However, that said, Dickert has experience as a defensive coordinator and was successful in those stints. That speaks well. It wasn't D3 btw. He led scholarship level D2 Minnesota-State Mankato all the way to the National Championship as a defensive coordinator. And the year he led MSU-Mankato (2014), that MSU team likely could have been competitive in a game and kept it close against Wyoming (4-8).

When Hazelton left, I stated that it was likely that Wyoming would hire in-house given the timing of everything. I believed it was going to be AJ Cooper. It is significant that Cooper was just named as 'run game defensive coordinator' as that indicates to me that Bohl had a difficult time choosing between the two. What I do want to see is the increase in pay that Cooper and Dickert are likely to get. I don't believe that either should be close to Hazelton's prior pay at this point and hopefully we can put the excess money to use elsewhere (perhaps offensive coaches).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Reality wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:16 pm He must interview well as being a former D3 player probably doesn't elevate him to our level. Could be the nail.....
What the hell does that mean? Football is football regardless as to the level. Many successful coaches played at all levels during their playing days and then went on to coach at different levels. Some coaches (a minority) never even actually played in college. Being a successful football coach requires a lot of skills (intelligence, management, communication, etc...). One skill that it doesn't require...an athletic ability to play at a Division 1 level which most people don't have as they weren't born with genes that would make them run really fast or grow to a certain size.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:42 pm
Reality wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:16 pm He must interview well as being a former D3 player probably doesn't elevate him to our level. Could be the nail.....
What the hell does that mean? Football is football regardless as to the level. Many successful coaches played at all levels during their playing days and then went on to coach at different levels. Some coaches (a minority) never even actually played in college. Being a successful football coach requires a lot of skills (intelligence, management, communication, etc...). One skill that it doesn't require...an athletic ability to play at a Division 1 level which most people don't have as they weren't born with genes that would make them run really fast or grow to a certain size.
PS. I suppose Mike Leach is a terrible football coach that knows nothing about the game of football because the last time he appeared on a football field as a player was his Junior Year of High School for the Cody Broncs where he rode the bench.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

gopokes1399 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:00 pm The reach is saying that this hire could get Bohl fired before spring ball has even started for Dickert.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting Bohl will be fired for this hire but I'm also not on the 3 year regardless bandwagon.

I know I'm in the minority, but the last 2 seasons were not "all that" to me; last season especially. I think Bohl is doing a good job and will make significant progress. However, I also don't think he's earned 3 more years regardless of yearly performance. Realistically, we've had the worst season in WYO history, another bad season, a really good season, and a couple mediocre seasons.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 43 times

Time will tell, i guess...as for Bohl getting an extension i think it'll happen cuz who out there is better and would want to come what is the struggles that is Wyoming
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

After thinking this over, I'm not disappointed by this. We have a scheme in place from Hazelton that should stay. I'm not sure how much bohl was involved in it creation, but hiring a guy that understands what worked... Blitz frequency, db spacing, down and distance calls....

It isn't as bad as it seems I feel. Dickert has a chance to keep the good stuff going
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

carbonpoke wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 pm After thinking this over, I'm not disappointed by this. We have a scheme in place from Hazelton that should stay. I'm not sure how much bohl was involved in it creation, but hiring a guy that understands what worked... Blitz frequency, db spacing, down and distance calls....

It isn't as bad as it seems I feel. Dickert has a chance to keep the good stuff going
There is definitely no shock and awe behind this hire. It seems pretty boring, and this is going to make for a long off season now as we have 10 months to figure out if this was a good hire or not. We won't even begin to know for another 7 months.

I think this is probably a different situation from the Stanard hire. Bohl is focused on this team the last 5 years, he knows his staff inside and out. He isn't trying to build a new staff and move to a different state.

My biggest concern is experience - how does he handle the up's and downs between the different recruiting classes and adjust to that? Hazelton seemed to do a pretty good job of getting different units to step up when others were underperforming. He also did a hell of a job analyzing other offenses and coming up with defensive strategies to disguise coverage and confuse the hell out of the offense. About the only thing they knew was Hazelton would do what he could to stop the run - that was the #1 priority.

Hopefully, this is like Roach bringing in Tiller as OC - and tiller finds the former coaches offensive playbook, runs with it, develops it, and masters it.

Frankly, I think 2019 is going to be a good year on offense. We are going to take a step or two back on defense - and I hope it isn't too many steps back.