Jake Dickert Promoted to DC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:58 am
carbonpoke wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 pm After thinking this over, I'm not disappointed by this. We have a scheme in place from Hazelton that should stay. I'm not sure how much bohl was involved in it creation, but hiring a guy that understands what worked... Blitz frequency, db spacing, down and distance calls....

It isn't as bad as it seems I feel. Dickert has a chance to keep the good stuff going
There is definitely no shock and awe behind this hire. It seems pretty boring, and this is going to make for a long off season now as we have 10 months to figure out if this was a good hire or not. We won't even begin to know for another 7 months.

I think this is probably a different situation from the Stanard hire. Bohl is focused on this team the last 5 years, he knows his staff inside and out. He isn't trying to build a new staff and move to a different state.

My biggest concern is experience - how does he handle the up's and downs between the different recruiting classes and adjust to that? Hazelton seemed to do a pretty good job of getting different units to step up when others were underperforming. He also did a hell of a job analyzing other offenses and coming up with defensive strategies to disguise coverage and confuse the hell out of the offense. About the only thing they knew was Hazelton would do what he could to stop the run - that was the #1 priority.

Hopefully, this is like Roach bringing in Tiller as OC - and tiller finds the former coaches offensive playbook, runs with it, develops it, and masters it.

Frankly, I think 2019 is going to be a good year on offense. We are going to take a step or two back on defense - and I hope it isn't too many steps back.
Pass the Kool-aid
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:40 am Pass the Kool-aid
Nah, it's going to run up the middle.