So appears we are looking for a new DC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

MrTitleist wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:36 pm I first heard about this a couple weeks ago.. this is a promotion, no doubt. Scottie will be missed, he was definitely an asset to UW. Stuff like this will always happen to Wyoming.. nature of the business when you're a G5 team.
Any college or pro football team. Even the top teams if you have a good coordinator guess who gets poached to fill HC vacancies. Look at Alabama and what has happened to their coaching staff continuously. Bohl hired both Klieman and Hazelton. It stinks to see him leave, but I trust that Bohl has a good eye for defensive coordinator talent and learned from the Stanard hiring. It is a good sign for the program if we keep getting our coordinators poached. Just need to step up and make a good hire now.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:03 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm Damn, this is horrible news. Hazleton was paid well at Wyoming so I am a bit surprised KSU was able to lure him away to be DC.
He made $400K at UW this season, I bet he's making at LEAST $600K at KSU this upcoming year.
Wasn't he at $475k plus bonuses? I think he was making around $600-650k with bonuses. Probably hitting about $900k with bonuses at K-State.

If we can get into the $750k range, with a head coach who might be retiring from UW in 5-10 years, that would be a damn attractive position for a talented DC...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

RapeljeJack wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:50 pm Man, you guys are a bunch of negative people BEFORE you even know who the new DC will be. If it were Stanard coming back I would agree with you, but he ain't and that ain't....happening. There are some really bright and excellent defensive coaches out there, and Wyoming pays well. I am optimistic that we will get a good one.
Outside of a few select Glenn and Hazelton years, the Wyoming defense has been a horror show since the turn of the century. Yes, under Bohl at times too. It's fair to be a little worried the next guy won't be the star coordinator Hazelton is.

The next hire is a crucial hire. I hope the athletic department is ready to shell out $400K again. Find the best option possible.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

J-Rod wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:02 am
RapeljeJack wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:50 pm Man, you guys are a bunch of negative people BEFORE you even know who the new DC will be. If it were Stanard coming back I would agree with you, but he ain't and that ain't....happening. There are some really bright and excellent defensive coaches out there, and Wyoming pays well. I am optimistic that we will get a good one.
Outside of a few select Glenn and Hazelton years, the Wyoming defense has been a horror show since the turn of the century. Yes, under Bohl at times too. It's fair to be a little worried the next guy won't be the star coordinator Hazelton is.

The next hire is a crucial hire. I hope the athletic department is ready to shell out $400K again. Find the best option possible.
Agreed. But attracting a good candidate might be a bit difficult for a few reasons: (1) we are late in the process; and (2) candidates are going to know that they will be entering a tough situation with the defense basically guaranteed to take a bit of a step back next year with the substantial losses on that side of the ball.

I wouldn't be shocked if AJ Cooper gets the job. Although I do strongly believe we should go out of house for the hire.
wyohistoryguy
Buckaroo

He was a good one, but coaches moving on is just part of big-time athletics - at least we are not looking for as many as Alabama. Who knows, it's possible we will find another terrific coordinator.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

There are some coaching coordinators that have good defenses on a regular basis. I would look at position coaches in those programs. There are some interesting looks in the Washington cougar staff. Since Tracy claeys took over the are rock solid.

I would look for a coach that has spent time recruiting cold weather states. It would be nice to get a connection to the great lakes recruiting area. That's not really a requirement.

I want somebody who has a Pedigree and has coached different positions.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Plenty of candidates out there...will be interesting to watch what transpires the next 2 weeks.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
RapeljeJack
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm Damn, this is horrible news. Hazleton was paid well at Wyoming so I am a bit surprised KSU was able to lure him away to be DC.
He made $400K at UW this season, I bet he's making at LEAST $600K at KSU this upcoming year.
Scotty is getting a guaranteed base of $550K per year with a possible $196K per year in incentives.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

RapeljeJack wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:10 pm
Scotty is getting a guaranteed base of $550K per year with a possible $196K per year in incentives.
$750ish. IMHO, we can get there.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Wyovanian wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:33 am
RapeljeJack wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:10 pm
$750ish. IMHO, we can get there.
I'm sure they could get there if they really wanted to, but that would be a HUGE leap.

As it was, Hazleton was the highest paid assistant in the MWC. Offering him a base of $550K would be almost $100K more than any assistant in the now-Power 5 conferences. Not saying it couldn't happen nor that he doesn't deserve it, but I don't see UW making that big a jump just yet.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Big loss. But Hazelton didn't recruit most of our defense. He was able to come in and capitalize on the players that Bohl's recruiters recruited. He did a hell of a job running a cover 2 defense and mixing it up to look like it generally wasn't a cover 2 4/3 defense. He would watch what other teams did, and come up with ideas to mess them up. I think Bohl will be able to find someone to fill his shoes.

Stanard was a hasty decision 5 years ago. It is what happens when your in a hurry. I think we will continue to see some tough defenses here as long as Bohl is around.

I don't know what we will see offensively though......