Levi Williams, QB commit..

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
RapeljeJack
Buckaroo

Wyoming today got a commitment from Levi Williams, a 6'-4" 200 lb. QB out of Texas. From what was published he was the 4th rated QB in Texas. Levi was a signee of Houston's from the early singing date, but when they let their coaching staff go, Levi was let out of his LOI.

I would dare say that the QB room will be have the most talent overall of any area room in the team even though there are only 3 scholarship guys they were all highly rated. It should be a really good competition amongst that group. There was some talk that Levi might be an early enrollee, but there was no confirmation of this.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Wow great! Chambers and vanderwaal will have some competition
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

He graduated early and was going to early enroll at Houston... he's in Laramie this weekend so I'm not sure if he's getting things squared away to start classes ASAP or if he'll just be back in the summer after working out on his own. I'm pretty sure you can't participate in spring practice unless you're enrolled in classes
RapeljeJack
Buckaroo

cali2wyo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:17 pm He graduated early and was going to early enroll at Houston... he's in Laramie this weekend so I'm not sure if he's getting things squared away to start classes ASAP or if he'll just be back in the summer after working out on his own. I'm pretty sure you can't participate in spring practice unless you're enrolled in classes
My gut tells me that he will be an early enrollee, and that was why the Wyoming coaching staff moved so quickly after he was released from his LOI.
RapeljeJack
Buckaroo

Our three best recruits so far are all from Texas, QB - Levi Williams, WR - Alex Brown and OL, Jack Lookabaugh. It came down to San Diego St. & UW for Lookabaugh, and Brown had S. Miss as well as several other FBS programs offering.

Of the three, I see Alex Brown having the best opportunity of playing early. Williams will need to get bigger and Lookabaugh will need to get a lot stronger. But they are all very talented young men, and bode well for the future of the program.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Awesome to see another potential great behind center. But, if the center and the rest of the O-line can't get their collective sh*t together, will it really matter?
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

The direction the O line is headed is atleast positive. Great timing for a qb. Red shirts and is 2 years behind the 2 qb's you have.

I think the offense key personal wise is WR. Have to get better there.

The real issue offensively to always worry about is the OC
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:25 pm The direction the O line is headed is atleast positive. Great timing for a qb. Red shirts and is 2 years behind the 2 qb's you have.

I hope that you have a better feel for the O-line than I do. Past performance by this coaching staff with regards to line play hasn't given me much confidence of future results.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:25 pm The direction the O line is headed is atleast positive. Great timing for a qb. Red shirts and is 2 years behind the 2 qb's you have.
Not true. Chambers will be a RS-Freshman next season. TVW will be a Sophomore.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

RapeljeJack wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:18 pm Our three best recruits so far are all from Texas, QB - Levi Williams, WR - Alex Brown and OL, Jack Lookabaugh. It came down to San Diego St. & UW for Lookabaugh, and Brown had S. Miss as well as several other FBS programs offering.

Of the three, I see Alex Brown having the best opportunity of playing early. Williams will need to get bigger and Lookabaugh will need to get a lot stronger. But they are all very talented young men, and bode well for the future of the program.
If we can keep them in the program. In recent years (mostly DC era), we have struggled retaining Texas recruits.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

PokeTransplant wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:10 am

I hope that you have a better feel for the O-line than I do. Past performance by this coaching staff with regards to line play hasn't given me much confidence of future results.
I thought as the season progressed, the O-line got a lot better. Granted the competition the 2nd half of the season got worse, but I thought the O-line did a good job the 2nd half of the year.

One stat to help support that: Wyoming allowed 24 sacks which tied them for 54th in the country, not great, but certainly not terrible. And of those 24, they only allowed 7 sacks in the last 6 games.

Also, 39th in the country in Rushing Offense. A lot of praise for Nico, but the O-line deserves some love for that.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Third highest rated QB recruit in the MWC this cycle. Damn good get.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

J-Rod wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:49 am Third highest rated QB recruit in the MWC this cycle. Damn good get.
Yeah, it's one of our highest rated recruits in a long time for sure.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Say what you want about recruiting rankings, but it has been clear that we need to improve recruiting to compete with top of the conference.

Recruits like this are a great start! I'm excited to see what he can do. Great job to the staff for getting him here!
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Get a good one lose a coach, typical around here
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

J-Rod wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:49 am Third highest rated QB recruit in the MWC this cycle. Damn good get.
I had him as second best. Boise got the best by far and also got the third best who was rated nearly as good as Levi
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 pm
I had him as second best. Boise got the best by far and also got the third best who was rated nearly as good as Levi
Bachmeier was a hell of a get for BSU. Chose BSU over offers from Georgia, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Cal, CU, Boston College and several others. If you take any stock in the 247 ratings, he's the 2nd highest recruit in the last 15 years for BSU.

Having said that, screw Boise, here's hoping Levi's addition makes our QB room all the better and pump out yet another NFL QB for Bohl and company.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:42 pm Say what you want about recruiting rankings, but it has been clear that we need to improve recruiting to compete with top of the conference.

Recruits like this are a great start! I'm excited to see what he can do. Great job to the staff for getting him here!
💯 agree. Recruiting rankings do matter!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:39 am
PokeTransplant wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:10 am

I thought as the season progressed, the O-line got a lot better. Granted the competition the 2nd half of the season got worse, but I thought the O-line did a good job the 2nd half of the year.

One stat to help support that: Wyoming allowed 24 sacks which tied them for 54th in the country, not great, but certainly not terrible. And of those 24, they only allowed 7 sacks in the last 6 games.

Also, 39th in the country in Rushing Offense. A lot of praise for Nico, but the O-line deserves some love for that.
Me too. Less shuffling as well. Sounds like that had something to do with Fuchs not being retained
W-Y, Until I Die!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Saw on Twitter that he's noe settled in Laramie. Might be an interesting fall with Chambers getting back from injury and Williams with spring experience