Good thing UW didn't get an invite to the First Responder Bowl

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

Game got declared no contest aka canceled after the first quarter with Boston College leading, 7-0, due to the heavy amount of lightning.

No picnic here in OKC either...55 degrees but raining cats & dogs like crazy and lots of lightning.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Man I would be pissed if I was a Boise fan.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

No doubt about that. Would rather be "left at home" than what happened to Boise.

Then again, f-word em, they deserve it. And Craig can still kiss my ass, even though the laughs are on him in this whole deal as well.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

McPeachy wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:37 pm No doubt about that. Would rather be "left at home" than what happened to Boise.

Then again, f-word em, they deserve it. And Craig can still kiss my ass, even though the laughs are on him in this whole deal as well.
100% agree, McPeachy.

But still...never liked that dumb assed NCAA rule about shutting things down for 30 minutes if lightning flashes within an 8 mile radius and after each lightning flash afterwards, the 30 minute thing restarts. Plain dumb. I could see it if it was within, say, 3-4 miles but still...
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Wyokie wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:43 pm
McPeachy wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:37 pm No doubt about that. Would rather be "left at home" than what happened to Boise.

100% agree, McPeachy.

But still...never liked that dumb assed NCAA rule about shutting things down for 30 minutes if lightning flashes within an 8 mile radius and after each lightning flash afterwards, the 30 minute thing restarts. Plain dumb. I could see it if it was within, say, 3-4 miles but still...
It's not an NCAA rule, it's an institutional rule that is pretty much unanimously enforced. Some schools use 6 miles, others use 8. Also, the reason behind it is that lightning can travel up to 6 miles away from where it originates, so theoretically if you are <6 miles from a strike, you are in reach of a potential strike.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:57 pm

100% agree, McPeachy.

It's not an NCAA rule, it's an institutional rule that is pretty much unanimously enforced. Some schools use 6 miles, others use 8. Also, the reason behind it is that lightning can travel up to 6 miles away from where it originates, so theoretically if you are <6 miles from a strike, you are in reach of a potential strike.
That's interesting since I read an article about the game being canned earlier saying that it was a NCAA rule, not institutional. Plus this game was on neutral territory. So which institution made the call if indeed it is an institutional rule?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Couldn't have happened to a better team! Stupid Donks
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'm not sure which is worse: having your game canceled, or being ridiculed for playing in the worst bowl game ever like Cal and TCU.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:43 pm I'm not sure which is worse: having your game canceled, or being ridiculed for playing in the worst bowl game ever like Cal and TCU.
Speaking of which, as of now if you combine 2017 & 2018 bowl records for the PAC-12... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ...it's 1-10!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The ONLY bowl win for the PAC-12 so far...2017 Heart of Dallas Bowl (aka as of now The First Responder Bowl) where Utah beat West Virginia, 30-14.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:08 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:57 pm

100% agree, McPeachy.

That's interesting since I read an article about the game being canned earlier saying that it was a NCAA rule, not institutional. Plus this game was on neutral territory. So which institution made the call if indeed it is an institutional rule?
The NCAA has suggestions when it comes to the weather policy, but to my knowledge there are no strict rules. As for who makes the call, in a regular game it would be the home team operations or sports medicine staff. My guess is at the bowl games there are neutral, bowl-employed staff that monitor stuff like the weather.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Just out of curiosity, anyone know how many people died in lightning strikes before this "rule" was implemented? How about how many people have been seriously injured or killed by opposing fans? How about how many have been injured or killed while driving to or from a game?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:46 am Just out of curiosity, anyone know how many people died in lightning strikes before this "rule" was implemented? How about how many people have been seriously injured or killed by opposing fans? How about how many have been injured or killed while driving to or from a game?
Statically I'm sure it's pretty low. There was a lightning strike not too long ago at a NASCAR race that killed some fans. I had close encounter at a golf course once, since then I don't take any chances. Lee Trevino was struck by lightning during a tournament and was just fine. Odd how some people can just walk away from a lightning strike.
I'm good for 3!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I knew two people who were hit by lightning when I was a kid - both survived. My grandma's friend didn't really have any side effects aside from his hearing getting even worse. The other dude (who ignored the warning bell on the golf course) had his vocal cords seriously screwed up. He sounded almost like Stephen Hawking, except without the voice box.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Cornpoke wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:03 am
Wyovanian wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:46 am Just out of curiosity, anyone know how many people died in lightning strikes before this "rule" was implemented? How about how many people have been seriously injured or killed by opposing fans? How about how many have been injured or killed while driving to or from a game?
Statically I'm sure it's pretty low. There was a lightning strike not too long ago at a NASCAR race that killed some fans. I had close encounter at a golf course once, since then I don't take any chances. Lee Trevino was struck by lightning during a tournament and was just fine. Odd how some people can just walk away from a lightning strike.
So, in other words, the rule quite possibly endangers people more than it makes safe.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:01 pm
So, in other words, the rule quite possibly endangers people more than it makes safe.
How do you figure?
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:44 am I knew two people who were hit by lightning when I was a kid - both survived. My grandma's friend didn't really have any side effects aside from his hearing getting even worse. The other dude (who ignored the warning bell on the golf course) had his vocal cords seriously screwed up. He sounded almost like Stephen Hawking, except without the voice box.
Geez - thats terrible. Ever heard of this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Sullivan

One of the times he was struck by lighting and then had to deal with a bear.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:48 pm
How do you figure?
Seems to me that people entering or leaving a stadium and driving to and from a stadium are at far greater risk than someone sitting in a stadium with lightning within 8 miles. People leaving are more likely to be frustrated and irritable as well, which makes them more prone to poor decisions and bad driving.

I honestly don't believe the number of people killed by lightning in a football stadium before the rule would exceed the number of fingers on a normal human hand.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:19 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:48 pm
How do you figure?
Seems to me that people entering or leaving a stadium and driving to and from a stadium are at far greater risk than someone sitting in a stadium with lightning within 8 miles. People leaving are more likely to be frustrated and irritable as well, which makes them more prone to poor decisions and bad driving.

I honestly don't believe the number of people killed by lightning in a football stadium before the rule would exceed the number of fingers on a normal human hand.
Ok, I get where you're going now. But allow me to give it to you from the school's point of view. It's the school's liability to protect the players and coaches, not the fans. If a fan dies leaving a game, the school isn't responsible (minus some odd case of gross negligence). But if a player on the field got stuck by lightning and died, the school would be opening their checkbook big time.

In short, when it comes to liability, schools don't care about fans or delays, etc.... they care about players being safe.
PAPoke
Buckaroo

Also wanted to put this here;

The National Weather Service (who the NCAA and NFHS gets a lot of the weather-safety protocols from) have this resource posted pretty clearly.

https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightnin ... y-overview
braves84
Buckaroo

I get the whole dislike for csu and the rivalry thing, and byu for snubbing the mwc and going independent. but what's with all the hatred for bsu genuinely curious,is It just because they are the flag bearer of the league? Please don't tell me it's because of their fans, all teams have some poop ones.