FBS Coaching Changes

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimeJOE
Buckaroo

Thread for all ramblings associated with coaching changes.

Locksley? I'm kind of surprised someone would give him another shot to run a program. That was a bit of a train wreck at UNM.

Kingsbury to USC OC is probably his fastest track back to HC at a decent program.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Urban Meyer retired....so...Michigan now has a clear shot at a Big Ten title every year now. LOL
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Jim McElwain now the head coach at Central Michigan... interesting to see if he can do better than he did in Fort f-word
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

It'll be interesting how Les Miles does at Kansas. Did well at Okie State and of course, got LSU a National title in 2007.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimeJOE
Buckaroo

Les and Jim Mac; both of those will be ineresting.

I'm also not sure I would have went with Mack Brown. He's getting up there in age and I always thought of him as a TX guy with TX connections. I wonder how he'll do in the Southeast?
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Calling my shot: Urban Meyer will take the year off and his health will magically get better and he'll be the coach of USC in 2019.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimeJOE wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:51 am I'm also not sure I would have went with Mack Brown. He's getting up there in age and I always thought of him as a TX guy with TX connections. I wonder how he'll do in the Southeast?
Huh? You do realize that Mack Brown was previously the head coach at North Carolina for a decade in the late 80s and early 90s before becoming the head coach at UT-Austin? Considering that he turned a terrible North Carolina team into a perennial ACC contender, I think he will do just fine in his second stint at UNC.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

303cowboy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:30 am Calling my shot: Urban Meyer will take the year off and his health will magically get better and he'll be the coach of USC in 2019.
yep..1-2 yrs although I wonder how their new OC will do at USC
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

BJC wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 am
303cowboy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:30 am Calling my shot: Urban Meyer will take the year off and his health will magically get better and he'll be the coach of USC in 2019.
yep..1-2 yrs although I wonder how their new OC will do at USC
Best hire in the off-season IMO. Excellent eye for QB talent and an unstoppable offense. Given USC's recruiting advantages, I predict a return to National Championship relevance.
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:35 pm Jim McElwain now the head coach at Central Michigan... interesting to see if he can do better than he did in Fort f-word
4-8
8-6
10-2

Are you saying he didn't do well? Because if he does any better, he'll be in NY6 Bowl.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

onePokeovertheline wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:27 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:35 pm Jim McElwain now the head coach at Central Michigan... interesting to see if he can do better than he did in Fort f-word
4-8
8-6
10-2

Are you saying he didn't do well? Because if he does any better, he'll be in NY6 Bowl.
No, not at all...just saying I wonder if he can do it again or better.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

Interested in the Les Miles hire at KU myself and I'd love to see Meyer at USC make them interesting again
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:27 am
ragtimeJOE wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:51 am I'm also not sure I would have went with Mack Brown. He's getting up there in age and I always thought of him as a TX guy with TX connections. I wonder how he'll do in the Southeast?
Huh? You do realize that Mack Brown was previously the head coach at North Carolina for a decade in the late 80s and early 90s before becoming the head coach at UT-Austin? Considering that he turned a terrible North Carolina team into a perennial ACC contender, I think he will do just fine in his second stint at UNC.
80's and early 90's don't matter. WYO fans of all fanbases should know better than anyone
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:18 am
80's and early 90's don't matter. WYO fans of all fanbases should know better than anyone
I don't know what you're getting at.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:37 am
Pre-bcs era isn't reflective of today's recruiting landscape. Mack has great connections in TX. I don't know his connections in the Southeast. Maybe they are good? Maybe his name will carry enough weight? My biggest worry would be the fact that he was at the biggest school in conference, best facilities, best situation etc., and the program was slipping some. Now he doesn't have all the UT luxuries. It'll be interesting to watch.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 am
Pre-bcs era isn't reflective of today's recruiting landscape. Mack has great connections in TX. I don't know his connections in the Southeast. Maybe they are good? Maybe his name will carry enough weight? My biggest worry would be the fact that he was at the biggest school in conference, best facilities, best situation etc., and the program was slipping some. Now he doesn't have all the UT luxuries. It'll be interesting to watch.
Gotcha. Yes, he definitely will not have the recruiting luxuries of UT-Austin where every kid that grows up in Texas dreams of playing for the Longhorns. But I would assume he has significant ties and knowledge of the Southeast/North Carolina areas due to his lengthy time at UNC, Memphis, App State, etc..
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:40 am
Gotcha. Yes, he definitely will not have the recruiting luxuries of UT-Austin where every kid that grows up in Texas dreams of playing for the Longhorns. But I would assume he has significant ties and knowledge of the Southeast/North Carolina areas due to his lengthy time at UNC, Memphis, App State, etc..
He talks like a hillbilly so I'm sure he'll do just fine
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

ragtimeJOE wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:51 am Les and Jim Mac; both of those will be ineresting.

I'm also not sure I would have went with Mack Brown. He's getting up there in age and I always thought of him as a TX guy with TX connections. I wonder how he'll do in the Southeast?
Brown will do great at Chapel Hill. Remember he coached their and had something like three 10-1 seasons and then left for Texas. He build the Tar Heels from a 1-10 program when he first started (and had several 1-10 seasons himself) before turning the program around to several 10-1 seasons before leaving for Texas. Brown has also brought in several top notch recruiters. One other thing that I would mention in Brown's favor relative to recruiting is, he "closed the recruiting borders in NC. Before Brown arrived at UNC-CH Clemson (Danny Ford) was getting more good players out of NC than any team in NC at that time and Brown shut that down.

I'm convinced he will turn the program around in short order, now how long he will stay is another question. Remember Joe Pa and Bobby Bowen both coached into their 80s. But, I still wonder what the attraction to come back to UNC was for Brown? He has plenty of money and an easy job with one of the networks working as a Football Analysis. I guess it's the lure of showing everyone he can be a great coach again.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

Brown won't be lacking for much, UNC-Chapel Hill has plenty of money. One of the strongest basketball schools in the nation. Plus, plenty of wealthy big time donors.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

80s and 90s was when UW was relevant on the college football map, until we got a NFL caliber 1st rounder