Doesn't look good for Ghaifan

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

DUI punishments in this country are a complete joke. My friend's step brother didn't end up in Albany County jail until his 7th DUI, driving without his license (again). The guy from Texas who killed a kid and also an unborn child (mother was 35 weeks pregnant) a couple of blocks from my house had 5 DUIs in Texas and still had a valid license somehow.

Any time you're getting behind the wheel when you're over the limit, you're deliberately risking people's lives. Speaking of that limit, 0.08 is also ridiculously high and counts as seriously impaired in most other places. If you've ever done a cognitive reaction test around that BAC and compared it to your sober values, you'll know what I mean.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

calpoke25 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:17 am I understand him not playing vs. CSU but don’t necessarily agree with what’s happened since. I don’t buy that this would be some ongoing media frenzy, PR nightmare, especially as tight lipped as Bohl is. I know it’s not exactly the same apples to apples comparison but Kobe Bryant played a whole season under false rape accusations. YoYos case would’ve been lost from the public eye by the next weeks news cycle. An indefinite suspension when he hasn’t even had his day in court for a misdemeanor offense seems like he’s been left out to dry. Players have been convicted of a DUI and only gotten one game? They’re both misdemeanors, with DUI arguably being a more dangerous crime.
It's bad enough PR to have a star player accused of something like this. You really think it wouldn't be a media frenzy if that article comes out a few days ago and Bohl and Co. had been letting him play? Don't believe that for a second even at Wyoming with a "tight lipped" coach.

Not that it should even make a difference. What's right and what's wrong are not changed by whether the media pays attention. Bohl and the staff do not have to wait for Ghaifan's day in court and Bohl's nature suggests to me that his actions (taking him back to Laramie, eliminating any possibility that he would play again this season) come from the knowledge that something happened in that hotel. I don't think Craig Bohl makes disciplinary decisions (or football decisions) based on what the media thinks or might think.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:15 am
bladerunnr wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:47 am
'PokeForLife wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 am
calpoke25 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:28 am
bladerunnr wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:44 am
calpoke25 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:17 am I understand him not playing vs. CSU but don’t necessarily agree with what’s happened since. I don’t buy that this would be some ongoing media frenzy, PR nightmare, especially as tight lipped as Bohl is. I know it’s not exactly the same apples to apples comparison but Kobe Bryant played a whole season under false rape accusations. YoYos case would’ve been lost from the public eye by the next weeks news cycle. An indefinite suspension when he hasn’t even had his day in court for a misdemeanor offense seems like he’s been left out to dry. Players have been convicted of a DUI and only gotten one game? They’re both misdemeanors, with DUI arguably being a more dangerous crime.
This isn't some drunken frat party where judgements are clouded by alcohol and other substances. This is a hotel maid who probably didn't even know he was a football player. My guess is the coaches and adm know exactly what happened in that room. If they thought she was lying, he would have been playing. To equate this with a DUI is mind boggling.
And to assume a position of guilty until proven innocent is equally mind boggling to me. There is no clean answer to this, but those are my thoughts.
I absolutely think that a DUI is a terrible, terrible thing. I think that they should be much more heavily punished. Its like we remember how bad it is when the anniversary of the 8 cross country runners were killed by a drunk driver, but then forget about it soon after.
Not saying that the deed harassment is not very serious, but DUI kills thousands of people. In 2017 OVER 31 THOUSAND people in the US died due to it. That's compared to 15,500 gun related deaths (31000 injuries ).
DUI is a terrible, terrible thing in the country that frankly gets a disgusting pass in this country. Everyone wants to change society, but won't change things that will affect them personally.
Please provide a link where you got those statistics. DUI kills about 10,000 people per year, not 31,000.
There are roughly a million dui arrests per year. In this country, we don't punish people for what might have happened. If a dui doesn't result in an accident, there are still repurcussions. It can mean loss of license and fines and community service. If that's not enough punishment for you, maybe you should go live in Saudi Arabia where it's illegal to drink.
Good to know you condone drinking and driving
Holy f-ckin' sh-t guy! Where in all of that did he say he condones drinking and driving?!?!?!

Someone presents facts and an argument and certain people want to label them as something they're not.

Riddle me this, justice warrior- why is texting and driving, which is far, far, far more dangerous and more prevalent than DUI not treated the same, or more seriously, than a DUI?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Spartanmike15
Buckaroo

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:47 am
Coeur d' Alene wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 am
J-Bone wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:30 am Honest question.

What typically happens in these types of situations where (I assume) there's no evidence or witnesses?
Domestic violence doesn't require evidence or witnesses.

He's not going to be in terrible trouble for misdemeanors. Prob looking at a years probation and domestic violence classes
As someone suggested earlier, it's entirely possible he wasn't arrested based on the efforts of the coaching staff. In addition, in order to accommodate citation in lieu of arrest, he was cited for misdemeanors, one of them a gross misdemeanor just a step below a felony. It is mostly prosecutor's discretion whether or not he will actually be charged with both misdemeanors, one misdemeanor and a felony, just one misdemeanor, just a felony, or nothing at all.

I just about guarantee, had someone not been there to intervene and convince police they could act as his responsible custodians, he would have been arrested,.and, very probably, hit with a felony.
More than likely there was a police officer from campus PD that traveled with the team, it would have been the officer who got him out of being arrested if it was anyone with the team.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:41 am Riddle me this, justice warrior- why is texting and driving, which is far, far, far more dangerous and more prevalent than DUI not treated the same, or more seriously, than a DUI?
I know this wasn't aimed at me, but... I totally think it should be. I've had so many freaking close calls with people getting into my lane or running red lights while staring down at their crotches.

I'm guessing it sucks for the cops to enforce since it's hard to prove unless you catch them in the middle of doing it.

Here's what happened when they tried upping the punishment in Colorado:
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/24/c ... iving-ban/

Colorado State Patrol was NOT happy with the Colorado Senate after that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:41 am
This isn't some drunken frat party where judgements are clouded by alcohol and other substances. This is a hotel maid who probably didn't even know he was a football player. My guess is the coaches and adm know exactly what happened in that room. If they thought she was lying, he would have been playing. To equate this with a DUI is mind boggling.
And to assume a position of guilty until proven innocent is equally mind boggling to me. There is no clean answer to this, but those are my thoughts.
I absolutely think that a DUI is a terrible, terrible thing. I think that they should be much more heavily punished. Its like we remember how bad it is when the anniversary of the 8 cross country runners were killed by a drunk driver, but then forget about it soon after.
Not saying that the deed harassment is not very serious, but DUI kills thousands of people. In 2017 OVER 31 THOUSAND people in the US died due to it. That's compared to 15,500 gun related deaths (31000 injuries ).
DUI is a terrible, terrible thing in the country that frankly gets a disgusting pass in this country. Everyone wants to change society, but won't change things that will affect them personally.
Please provide a link where you got those statistics. DUI kills about 10,000 people per year, not 31,000.
There are roughly a million dui arrests per year. In this country, we don't punish people for what might have happened. If a dui doesn't result in an accident, there are still repurcussions. It can mean loss of license and fines and community service. If that's not enough punishment for you, maybe you should go live in Saudi Arabia where it's illegal to drink.
Holy f-ckin' sh-t guy! Where in all of that did he say he condones drinking and driving?!?!?!

Someone presents facts and an argument and certain people want to label them as something they're not.

Riddle me this, justice warrior- why is texting and driving, which is far, far, far more dangerous and more prevalent than DUI not treated the same, or more seriously, than a DUI?
The point is punishment for drinking and driving should be severe and is not severe enough. Texting and driving should be punished equally as severely. Driving is inherently dangerous and nothing should be done ever to make it more dangerous.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

I think what really pissed Bohl off is these accusations happened at the team hotel on game day. DUIs happen on the players free time. They stay at hotels to prevent distractions even for home games. Bohl has to send that message to the young talent on this team. Can you imagine how pissed Bohl was when he got the news he was probably balls deep going over the gameplan when this happened.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

You tell us. You're really making the exact same point. Texting should be punished very harshly because it results in people dying.

The point is that people will hoot and holler until they are blue in the face about problems in society, but when it comes to something that they are do -- dinking alcohol with the thought that there are no repercussions, the deed immorality with no repercussions (this includes adult tv), texting whenever and wherever they want... you name a ton of things -- they balk. Deep down nobody cares about other peoples' lives when it means they have to change themselves.
Even coming remotely close to defending drunk driving in any capacity is disgusting.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Looks like it's about time to move this one to the off-topic board
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:13 pm Looks like it's about time to move this one to the off-topic board
Yep, lol! Classic Wyonation thread derailment!

I want to get back to discussing that kicking out a doorstop is rape. :rofl:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:15 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:13 pm Looks like it's about time to move this one to the off-topic board
Yep, lol! Classic Wyonation thread derailment!

I want to get back to discussing that kicking out a doorstop is rape. :rofl:
That? No. Pinning someone up against the wall forcibly? That's assault. Add in inappropriate and unwanted/unwarranted advances in a the deed manner? That gets bumped up to the deed assault (which is not limited to rape).
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

'PokeForLife wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:07 pm

You tell us. You're really making the exact same point. Texting should be punished very harshly because it results in people dying.

The point is that people will hoot and holler until they are blue in the face about problems in society, but when it comes to something that they are do -- dinking alcohol with the thought that there are no repercussions, the deed immorality with no repercussions (this includes adult tv), texting whenever and wherever they want... you name a ton of things -- they balk. Deep down nobody cares about other peoples' lives when it means they have to change themselves.
Even coming remotely close to defending drunk driving in any capacity is disgusting.
Any idea how many people die each year due to "driver error"? Basically, stupid people driving. Should we test IQs after every accident and jail people who fall below the national average?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

At least hes not Kareem hunt....... that guys career probably just ended.... why do some players not have a brain cell left in their head?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

FarmerPoke wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:03 pm At least hes not Kareem hunt....... that guys career probably just ended.... why do some players not have a brain cell left in their head?
Extraordinarily stupid. Assault a woman(inexcusable. period.) where there are security cameras. He tackled and kicked her while she was on the floor
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:06 pm
FarmerPoke wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:03 pm At least hes not Kareem hunt....... that guys career probably just ended.... why do some players not have a brain cell left in their head?
Extraordinarily stupid. Assault a woman(inexcusable. period.) where there are security cameras. He tackled and kicked her while she was on the floor
Exactly. He got canned for being stupid. It's kind of like cops who get recorded throwing a sh-thead a beating. It's not the beating part that bothers me as much as the fact that if they're not smart enough to look around for cameras, then they're probably not smart enough to carry guns and badges...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I like how you think on this subject.
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Has Kareem been charged?
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:28 pm
Has Kareem been charged?
This happened in the offseason and I don't think any charges were pressed.. somehow
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

I’ve gotta think that the maid knew that the UW football team was staying there. I worked at the Holiday Inn in Laramie in the 90’s and knew whenever we had a visiting team staying there. There would be about 100 guys in full UW gear and a rather massive dude at 6’3” 290. Not sure what happened, but like most have said, it’ll come down to who’s word is more believable.