Doesn't look good for Ghaifan

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

Honest question.

What typically happens in these types of situations where (I assume) there's no evidence or witnesses?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

TSpoke wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:19 am
GOWYO wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:47 am
McPeachy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:30 am
phxpoke wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:54 pm Too early to make judgements fellas. Time will tell. Weird that she gave him her real number.
Agreed. He said / she said. He will lose in today's climate though - regardless.

Most confusing to me? She "pushed him away"? A f-word 300lb well conditioned DL, versus what, a 150lb maid? And she pushed him away? Hell, there were O lineman that couldn't do that this year, but she could? I call poop on that alone.
Hey can you clarify the "climate" you're referring to? Do you mean our pervasive climate where many men still think they can intimidate or coerce women into what they want without repercussions, or the currently changing state of that climate where women (and men) are expressing disgust at the presumption that consent isn't really necessary? I mean, him simply kicking out the door stop is enough for me. In what world do you think that is okay?
Great post.

Its weird to hear people say that "these days you can't get away with something like this" when would something like this ever been ok?
It's never been OK, no one said that. It's more likely someone would have gotten away with it in the past
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 224 times

J-Bone wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:30 am Honest question.

What typically happens in these types of situations where (I assume) there's no evidence or witnesses?
There is both evidence (circumstantial and direct) and witnesses. If there was no evidence or witnesses, then there could be no case.

Witnesses: Ghaifan (he can testify as to what took place), the housekeeper (she can testify as to what took place), hotel manager (they can testify as to the mindset of the housekeeper when the housekeeper reported the incident), teammates/coaches (they can testify as to the timeframe and when and for how long Ghaifan might have been in the room with the housekeeper), etc...

Evidence: housekeer's testimony is direct evidence, what was the physical state of the hotel room when police arrived/was there anything to indicate a struggle is direct evidence, circumstantial evidence - (housekeeper's discussion with the hotel manager said to occur immediately after confrontation, etc..)
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Could a he said vs she said, which is all circumstancial. Based on no arrest I am not sure there is much physical evidence. Let's let due process work out and see what happens.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:17 pm Could a he said vs she said, which is all circumstancial. Based on no arrest I am not sure there is much physical evidence. Let's let due process work out and see what happens.
A minor nit, the testimony of Ghaifan and the Housekeeper is direct evidence (i.e. doesn't require an inference to the ultimate conclusion of fact). Both can testify as to the acts that actually took place without need for additional evidence or inference.

I think the fact that there was no arrest has much more to do with the fact that Ghaifan was under the control of the football coaches rather than the availability of physical evidence. I guarantee the coaches were pleading Ghaifan's case and how they would keep him under supervised control or take him back to Laramie to try and eliminate an arrest.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:58 am
phxpoke wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:54 pm Too early to make judgements fellas. Time will tell. Weird that she gave him her real number.
Agreed. He said / she said. He will lose in today's climate though - regardless.

Most confusing to me? She "pushed him away"? A f-word 300lb well conditioned DL, versus what, a 150lb maid? And she pushed him away? Hell, there were O lineman that couldn't do that this year, but she could? I call poop on that alone.
Hey can you clarify the "climate" you're referring to? Do you mean our pervasive climate where many men still think they can intimidate or coerce women into what they want without repercussions, or the currently changing state of that climate where women (and men) are expressing disgust at the presumption that consent isn't really necessary? I mean, him simply kicking out the door stop is enough for me. In what world do you think that is okay?
LOL - relax. Guilty until proven innocent...not related to anything or anyone specifically, or any situation specifically (the deed, race, color, creed, number to fingers, hair color, career, blood type, etc., etc., etc). Our legal system is a god damned disaster, from top to bottom. Clear enough for you? Your assumptions prove my point.

Oh, and where you there to see him "kick out the door stop"? Did he really do that, are you assuming he did, therefore he is automatically guilty? Is it on camera (it should be)? Again, guilty until proven innocent. And ya, if somebody kicks out a doorstop, it is automatically rape.
There is no way it is on camera. It is a violation of privacy to have surveillance cameras in hotel rooms. In the hallway, yes. If there are surveillance cameras of him entering a hotel room that wasn't his, then that's strike one. This chat room is not a court room. I don't have to presume he's innocent.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 119 times

bladerunnr wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:55 pm
McPeachy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:58 am

LOL - relax. Guilty until proven innocent...not related to anything or anyone specifically, or any situation specifically (the deed, race, color, creed, number to fingers, hair color, career, blood type, etc., etc., etc). Our legal system is a god damned disaster, from top to bottom. Clear enough for you? Your assumptions prove my point.

Oh, and where you there to see him "kick out the door stop"? Did he really do that, are you assuming he did, therefore he is automatically guilty? Is it on camera (it should be)? Again, guilty until proven innocent. And ya, if somebody kicks out a doorstop, it is automatically rape.
There is no way it is on camera. It is a violation of privacy to have surveillance cameras in hotel rooms. In the hallway, yes. If there are surveillance cameras of him entering a hotel room that wasn't his, then that's strike one. This chat room is not a court room. I don't have to presume he's innocent.
Ya, I never said hotel room cameras (LMFAO) - totally was referencing the hallway / elevator foyer / etc.

And agree, that would be strike one. Further, I don't have to presume he is guilty either. It doesn't look good, but FFS, let's let the process run it's course before burning him at the stake.

There are way too many snowflakes falling from the skies these days.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:26 am
phxpoke wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:54 pm Weird that she gave him her real number.
Not weird if she was thinking it would ultimately help identify him.
💯
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Domestic violence doesn't require evidence or witnesses.

He's not going to be in terrible trouble for misdemeanors. Prob looking at a years probation and domestic violence classes
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 am

He's not going to be in terrible trouble for misdemeanors. Prob looking at a years probation and domestic violence classes
None of what you said is in the least bit accurate. Domestic violence, just like any other criminal charge, requires evidence and/or witness testimony. A prosecutor cannot ethically bring or maintain a charge that lacks supporting evidence.

Additionally, Ghaifan is not charged with domestic violence. He was charged with misdemeanor false imprisonment and misdemeanor harassment. If you would like to know what domestic violence means under Colorado law, I would suggest that you read C.R.S. 18-6-800.3(1).

Stick to making up fake conference alignments.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I understand him not playing vs. CSU but don’t necessarily agree with what’s happened since. I don’t buy that this would be some ongoing media frenzy, PR nightmare, especially as tight lipped as Bohl is. I know it’s not exactly the same apples to apples comparison but Kobe Bryant played a whole season under false rape accusations. YoYos case would’ve been lost from the public eye by the next weeks news cycle. An indefinite suspension when he hasn’t even had his day in court for a misdemeanor offense seems like he’s been left out to dry. Players have been convicted of a DUI and only gotten one game? They’re both misdemeanors, with DUI arguably being a more dangerous crime.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

calpoke25 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:17 am I understand him not playing vs. CSU but don’t necessarily agree with what’s happened since. I don’t buy that this would be some ongoing media frenzy, PR nightmare, especially as tight lipped as Bohl is. I know it’s not exactly the same apples to apples comparison but Kobe Bryant played a whole season under false rape accusations. YoYos case would’ve been lost from the public eye by the next weeks news cycle. An indefinite suspension when he hasn’t even had his day in court for a misdemeanor offense seems like he’s been left out to dry. Players have been convicted of a DUI and only gotten one game? They’re both misdemeanors, with DUI arguably being a more dangerous crime.
I disagree.

These are very serious allegations that occurred on a UNIVERSITY SPONSORED TRIP. These allegations including allegations of direct the deed harassment, that if proven true, would be the type that could lead to dismissal from the University. Indefinite suspension was absolutely the appropriate action until the matter is resolved. The DUI cases were largely resolved quickly, did not result in or involve harm to other persons (although certainly there was potential for that to happen) and those DUIs did not occur on a University sponsored trip.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

calpoke25 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:17 am I understand him not playing vs. CSU but don’t necessarily agree with what’s happened since. I don’t buy that this would be some ongoing media frenzy, PR nightmare, especially as tight lipped as Bohl is. I know it’s not exactly the same apples to apples comparison but Kobe Bryant played a whole season under false rape accusations. YoYos case would’ve been lost from the public eye by the next weeks news cycle. An indefinite suspension when he hasn’t even had his day in court for a misdemeanor offense seems like he’s been left out to dry. Players have been convicted of a DUI and only gotten one game? They’re both misdemeanors, with DUI arguably being a more dangerous crime.
This isn't some drunken frat party where judgements are clouded by alcohol and other substances. This is a hotel maid who probably didn't even know he was a football player. My guess is the coaches and adm know exactly what happened in that room. If they thought she was lying, he would have been playing. To equate this with a DUI is mind boggling.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 am

As someone suggested earlier, it's entirely possible he wasn't arrested based on the efforts of the coaching staff. In addition, in order to accommodate citation in lieu of arrest, he was cited for misdemeanors, one of them a gross misdemeanor just a step below a felony. It is mostly prosecutor's discretion whether or not he will actually be charged with both misdemeanors, one misdemeanor and a felony, just one misdemeanor, just a felony, or nothing at all.

I just about guarantee, had someone not been there to intervene and convince police they could act as his responsible custodians, he would have been arrested,.and, very probably, hit with a felony.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:44 am
This isn't some drunken frat party where judgements are clouded by alcohol and other substances. This is a hotel maid who probably didn't even know he was a football player. My guess is the coaches and adm know exactly what happened in that room. If they thought she was lying, he would have been playing. To equate this with a DUI is mind boggling.
And to assume a position of guilty until proven innocent is equally mind boggling to me. There is no clean answer to this, but those are my thoughts.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

calpoke25 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:28 am
And to assume a position of guilty until proven innocent is equally mind boggling to me. There is no clean answer to this, but those are my thoughts.
I absolutely think that a DUI is a terrible, terrible thing. I think that they should be much more heavily punished. Its like we remember how bad it is when the anniversary of the 8 cross country runners were killed by a drunk driver, but then forget about it soon after.
Not saying that the deed harassment is not very serious, but DUI kills thousands of people. In 2017 OVER 31 THOUSAND people in the US died due to it. That's compared to 15,500 gun related deaths (31000 injuries ).
DUI is a terrible, terrible thing in the country that frankly gets a disgusting pass in this country. Everyone wants to change society, but won't change things that will affect them personally.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Whether he is guilty or not of any actual crime in a court of law, doesn't matter. The fact is he was some place he shouldn't have been and put himself in a poop situation while with the team right before one of the biggest games of the year. He let the team and the University down and he deserved to not play the rest of the season. I think whether or not he comes back next year will be up to what happens with the legal process.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:18 am Whether he is guilty or not of any actual crime in a court of law, doesn't matter. The fact is he was some place he shouldn't have been and put himself in a poop situation while with the team right before one of the biggest games of the year. He let the team and the University down and he deserved to not play the rest of the season. I think whether or not he comes back next year will be up to what happens with the legal process.
Why does the timing of his incident make it any worse really? The guy with the DUI in the offseason is making just as poor of a decision, maybe he gets lucky and doesn’t do any serious damage to anyone but he is running the risk of literally killing someone or himself. No it wasn’t on a university sponsored trip or before a game but while a player is under scholarship from the university they are basically always like an employee of the university, gameday or not.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

'PokeForLife wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 am
I absolutely think that a DUI is a terrible, terrible thing. I think that they should be much more heavily punished. Its like we remember how bad it is when the anniversary of the 8 cross country runners were killed by a drunk driver, but then forget about it soon after.
Not saying that the deed harassment is not very serious, but DUI kills thousands of people. In 2017 OVER 31 THOUSAND people in the US died due to it. That's compared to 15,500 gun related deaths (31000 injuries ).
DUI is a terrible, terrible thing in the country that frankly gets a disgusting pass in this country. Everyone wants to change society, but won't change things that will affect them personally.
Please provide a link where you got those statistics. DUI kills about 10,000 people per year, not 31,000.
There are roughly a million dui arrests per year. In this country, we don't punish people for what might have happened. If a dui doesn't result in an accident, there are still repurcussions. It can mean loss of license and fines and community service. If that's not enough punishment for you, maybe you should go live in Saudi Arabia where it's illegal to drink.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:47 am
'PokeForLife wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 am
Please provide a link where you got those statistics. DUI kills about 10,000 people per year, not 31,000.
There are roughly a million dui arrests per year. In this country, we don't punish people for what might have happened. If a dui doesn't result in an accident, there are still repurcussions. It can mean loss of license and fines and community service. If that's not enough punishment for you, maybe you should go live in Saudi Arabia where it's illegal to drink.
Good to know you condone drinking and driving