Possible bowl gane

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:03 am Arizona bowl better not just be taunting us!
They definitely haven't been promising anything. They've done coverage of different Mountain West teams in past weeks, and we just happened to be the last one to become bowl eligible.

I'm hoping our fans' social media presence helps our cause, but if they've already chosen, then that won't really matter.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Wyo2dal wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:03 am I have a feeling we will be one the 3 or 4 Bowl eligible teams that don't go bowling.
FIFY
dakarpoke
Buckaroo

San Jose St. goes 5-7 a couple years ago and get into a bowl game and then this year too many bowl eligible teams, especially in MWC. Just kind of sucks.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Apparently, the MWC ADs recently passed a rule whereby the conference will focus on getting league teams with the most victories into bowl games first.

Bowl-eligible MWC teams with 6,7,8 wins:

Hawaii (8-5): Played ZERO P5 schools (Navy, Rice, Army, Duquesne, BooHooU in OOC)
Nevada (7-5): Played two P5 schools (Port St., Vandy (L), Oreg St. (W), Toledo)
SDSU (7-5): Played two P5 schools (Stanford (L), Sac St., ASU (W), EMU)
Wyoming (6-6): Played two P5 schools (NMSU, Wash St (L), Mizzou (L), Wofford)

Bottom line: Even as bad as our offense was (at least pre-Chambers), the Pokes scored the go-ahead field goal at Hawaii with around five minutes left and couldn't hold on. ANY real offense in that game against a mediocre Hawaii defense and the Pokes win that one.

Utah State? The Aggies did little offensively after that first-drive TD (65 yards of their 194 yards total offense). USU won on a WYO special teams breakdown (99 yd KO TD return) and an INT brought back to the WYO three (resulting in a very cheap TD).

Two more potential wins for the Pokes lost to (mostly) offensive ineptitude. Hoping for the best, but not holding my breath next Sunday.
Spartanmike15
Buckaroo

dakarpoke wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:54 am San Jose St. goes 5-7 a couple years ago and get into a bowl game and then this year too many bowl eligible teams, especially in MWC. Just kind of sucks.
SJSU was left out of bowl games in both 2007 and 2013 (beat undefeated Fresno last game of season) with a 6-6 record. 2013 followed up an 11-2 season with a final #21 ranking.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Not sure of the accuracy, but I saw that Craig Thompson told Bohl the Pokes are out of Bowl consideration. We’ll see soon enough. Hope it’s not true.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Spartanmike15 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:24 pm
dakarpoke wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:54 am San Jose St. goes 5-7 a couple years ago and get into a bowl game and then this year too many bowl eligible teams, especially in MWC. Just kind of sucks.
SJSU was left out of bowl games in both 2007 and 2013 (beat undefeated Fresno last game of season) with a 6-6 record. 2013 followed up an 11-2 season with a final #21 ranking.
Wow, you are dedicated to finding SJSU-related posts on MWC forums.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Poke-proud wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:59 am I saw that Craig Thompson told Bohl the Pokes are out of Bowl consideration.
But you just know that Thompson is lobbying and fighting as hard as possible for the Pokes to get a bowl. Don't you?
Spartanmike15
Buckaroo

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:28 am
I graduated from Wyoming in May, but I’ve been going to SJSU games since 1987 when I was 2 weeks old. This is the only other board I follow. I don’t have any inside information or valuable insight into things around Wyo, and even if I did, people wouldn’t take it seriously because I’m a Spartan fan.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

Spartanmike15 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 am
I graduated from Wyoming in May, but I’ve been going to SJSU games since 1987 when I was 2 weeks old. This is the only other board I follow. I don’t have any inside information or valuable insight into things around Wyo, and even if I did, people wouldn’t take it seriously because I’m a Spartan fan.
Went to SJSU vs. WYO game last year. Worst WYO had played the entire season, the game was awful. That said, I sure hope SJSU dumps some $$$$ into their facilities and athletic programs - it was a great place to travel, but the game-day and stadium are in bad shape.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:18 am
Spartanmike15 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 am I graduated from Wyoming in May, but I’ve been going to SJSU games since 1987 when I was 2 weeks old. This is the only other board I follow. I don’t have any inside information or valuable insight into things around Wyo, and even if I did, people wouldn’t take it seriously because I’m a Spartan fan.
Went to SJSU vs. WYO game last year. Worst WYO had played the entire season, the game was awful. That said, I sure hope SJSU dumps some $$$$ into their facilities and athletic programs - it was a great place to travel, but the game-day and stadium are in bad shape.
The Cal State education system is in rough shape financially and SJSU has perhaps the worst donor base in all of FBS football (in spite of their prime location). I see folding the football program as a more likely option than putting significant money into facilities and athletic programs.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:21 am
Spartanmike15 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 am I graduated from Wyoming in May, but I’ve been going to SJSU games since 1987 when I was 2 weeks old. This is the only other board I follow. I don’t have any inside information or valuable insight into things around Wyo, and even if I did, people wouldn’t take it seriously because I’m a Spartan fan.
The Cal State education system is in rough shape financially and SJSU has perhaps the worst donor base in all of FBS football (in spite of their prime location). I see folding the football program as a more likely option than putting significant money into facilities and athletic programs.
That is sad. We had a blast. Downtown SJSU had a festival going on, caught a Niners game, weather was great, etc.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:26 am
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:03 am Arizona bowl better not just be taunting us!
They definitely haven't been promising anything. They've done coverage of different Mountain West teams in past weeks, and we just happened to be the last one to become bowl eligible.

I'm hoping our fans' social media presence helps our cause, but if they've already chosen, then that won't really matter.
Well the most traffic the Arizona bowl social media pages have ever seen have come from pokes fans the last few days. In plus that post on Facebook is directed at the Cowboys more than any other post they have for other teams. Maybe not Arkansas St. At this point its going to bad PR move on their part if its just a taunt.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

poke_addict wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:57 amplus that post on Facebook is directed at the Cowboys more than any other post they have for other teams. Maybe not Arkansas St. At this point its going to bad PR move on their part if its just a taunt.
I must have missed a post or something. The one I saw about the Cowboys looked very similar to the ones they had done in previous weeks for other MWC teams. The big difference is that our fans were all over it, whereas it was at most like 3 comments on posts for other teams.

Pokes fans seem to generally have a VERY good presence on the Internet.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:06 pm
poke_addict wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:57 amplus that post on Facebook is directed at the Cowboys more than any other post they have for other teams. Maybe not Arkansas St. At this point its going to bad PR move on their part if its just a taunt.
I must have missed a post or something. The one I saw about the Cowboys looked very similar to the ones they had done in previous weeks for other MWC teams. The big difference is that our fans were all over it, whereas it was at most like 3 comments on posts for other teams.

Pokes fans seem to generally have a VERY good presence on the Internet.
There is another post where the Arizona bowl had some sort of dancing emojis when we became bowl eligible as well. If you look at most of their other posts the vast majority of the comments are still Wyo fans. Even the Arkansas St posts are mostly Wyoming fan comments. You are right though they haven't promised anything. It just shows who really wants to be there. Its tuscons loss.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:34 am
Poke-proud wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:59 am I saw that Craig Thompson told Bohl the Pokes are out of Bowl consideration.
But you just know that Thompson is lobbying and fighting as hard as possible for the Pokes to get a bowl. Don't you?
Don’t know. I guess I could call Craig and ask him. Or you can!
Last edited by Poke-proud on Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

poke_addict wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:30 pmIt just shows who really wants to be there.
Yep, I honestly think that if there's a southernish (aka one that stays somewhat warm during the winter) location within a reasonable distance, Wyoming fans will come in very solid numbers.
Spartanmike15
Buckaroo

Spartanmike15 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 am
They are in the middle of a fund raising drive right now to complete a full remodel of the East Stands (visitor side). That will also include the football operations building and the back side will have the seating to complete the new soccer complex. The stadium was built in 1933 with the upper deck added in the late 70s.

Recently completed are Phase 1 of new facilities for Golf, Softball and Tennis. Swimming/Waterpolo will be done this year, beach volleyball is in the works but the full cost will be taken care of by a single donor, baseball is in talks with the Giants last I heard for a new field that the Single A team will use as well and the plan is in place for a complete remodel of track/field. The facilities are finally starting to come together.

The Ultra Liberal Bay Area just doesn’t care much for college sports. Even when Cal/Stanford were Top 25 they couldn’t sell out their stadiums which were both reduced in capacity during recent upgrades/remodels.