Possible bowl gane

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

J-Bone wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:27 pm As a team we're better, but it's hard to argue that they don't pick up some good recruits.
Sure, no doubt they've got some good players. But I'd argue that we pick up more than them. The records bear it out. A lot of their guys come from areas of the country that whoever does the HS player ratings hang out in. i.e. the south so their recruits get rated whereas our are often not even evaluated.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

J-Bone wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:27 pm A lot of their guys come from areas of the country that whoever does the HS player ratings hang out in. i.e. the south so their recruits get rated whereas our are often not even evaluated.
I've never heard this argument before. How did you find this out?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:50 pm
J-Bone wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:27 pm A lot of their guys come from areas of the country that whoever does the HS player ratings hang out in. i.e. the south so their recruits get rated whereas our are often not even evaluated.
I've never heard this argument before. How did you find this out?
It's well known. The people that do player ratings mostly do their thing in Texas and the south. A disproportionate amount of HS players from those regions get rated at all, and get rated higher. It's an exposure thing. It's very biased toward the east and south. It's understandable. The evaluators aren't going to be in Nebraska, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Minnesota etc. where there are few players to evaluate.
wyopoke123
Buckaroo

playing in a bowl game this year IMO is VERY IMPORTANT. We can tell recruits 3 straight years of being in a Bowl Game. "If you come to WYO, you are going bowling year in and year out". That 100% plays in recruit's minds. Theres only a 2-3 bowl games played a day. If the next Josh Allen, Jake Hollister or Tashaun Gipson is watching in his living room and sees the Pokes pull out a W on national television and pictures himself in a Pokes uni, that can make the little difference.

Doesnt matter if its the Potato Bowl or the Frisco Bowl, a bowl game helps in recruiting, helps the younger players develop with momentum into the next season and gives the Seniors a deserving sendoff.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I think we all can agree that a bowl game, regardless if it does or does not help, probably doesn't hurt when it comes to recruiting.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:48 pm
J-Bone wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:18 pm I'm jealous of CSU's recruits and WR's. They have talent but aren't disciplined and seem to lack an identity. I think their coaching is holding them back.

Any bowl appearance is positive for a program. I'm hoping we find a way to make it happen!
I'm not jealous of their recruits in general, we're better than they are, we've beaten them 6 of the last 9, I think, but they do seem to always have one ridiculously good WR at all times. I hope Preston Williams goes pro and they suck next year. P. Williams was literally the only thing they had going for them this year.
We've actually beat csewe 7 out of the last 10 games. Let me clarify: If the players want to play, that's great. If they get some late december bowl game and have to stay on an empty campus while all the students are on break, will they want that? Hell, I hope they get a game in Arizona or California. Great excuse to get out of the winter for a few days.
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

Sgoharley wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:29 pm Any thoughts on likely bowl game assuming Pokes win Saturday.
SB and SI both predict now that we will be shut out of bowl season.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

FarEastPoke wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:11 pm
Sgoharley wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:29 pm Any thoughts on likely bowl game assuming Pokes win Saturday.
SB and SI both predict now that we will be shut out of bowl season.
Let's hope they are wrong. Why would a bowl game not want a team riding a winning streak to come in and play? Plus our fans fairly well. Seems like an obvious choice
I'm good for 3!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

If we don't go bowling, which wouldn't surprise me, I'd say the loss to Hawaii is what did us in. Had we won that game, we'd have 7 wins. The bowls have to take everyone that has 7 wins or more first then, the teams with 6-6 records can get invites.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 229 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:09 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:48 pm
J-Bone wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:18 pm I'm jealous of CSU's recruits and WR's. They have talent but aren't disciplined and seem to lack an identity. I think their coaching is holding them back.

Any bowl appearance is positive for a program. I'm hoping we find a way to make it happen!
I'm not jealous of their recruits in general, we're better than they are, we've beaten them 6 of the last 9, I think, but they do seem to always have one ridiculously good WR at all times. I hope Preston Williams goes pro and they suck next year. P. Williams was literally the only thing they had going for them this year.
We've actually beat csewe 7 out of the last 10 games. Let me clarify: If the players want to play, that's great. If they get some late december bowl game and have to stay on an empty campus while all the students are on break, will they want that? Hell, I hope they get a game in Arizona or California. Great excuse to get out of the winter for a few days.
Not only is it an extra game, but a bowl game is a week’s worth of events for the players in the host city along with a bunch of swag usually including 100s of dollars in gift cards and electronics. I’ve yet to hear of a player complaining about having to attend a bunch of fun events with their teammates and receiving free stuff.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:32 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:49 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:18 am I guess I'll be the wet blanket on the bowl watch. I don't see any point in going to some minor bowl game in a 3/4 empty stadium. Our future star QB won't be playing anyway. The payout for these little bowls is so poor that the school probably loses money on the deal. It's a long a season and the players don't need more practice. That's what spring ball is for.
I nominate you to be the one to tell Dewey that you don't want to see him play another game in a Cowboy uniform. To his face.
What a silly post. Where did I say I didn't want to see any specific player play another game? How about addressing what I actually wrote? Will the stadium be empty? Will UW make any money on a minor bowl?
Do you think the players really want to play? I doubt many of them do. This is like the CBI decision. I seriously doubt another tv game makes one bit of difference to recruiting. We were on CBS sports, Fox Sports, and ESPN plenty of times this year. It's great we won our last 4 games of the year. But at least acknowledge that we beat 2 3-9 teams, a 1-11 team, and a 5-7 team. We hardly deserve to be in a bowl based on our resume.
To answer your question, yes, the players want to play in a bowl game, even though the stadium will be fairly empty and the universities will not make any money. But it will help with recruiting, from one player changing his mind who may have thought he settled on a team that didn't make a bowl game, to younger players seeing you most year's. Most bowl games have the attention of the entire college fan base as they usually do not go up against another game on TV, so that's good too.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

I'm assuming the Pokes are practicing hard all week preparing just in case. Does anyone know for sure?
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Arizona Bowl sending a teaser. Would be awesome.

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 229 times

poke_addict wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:29 pm Arizona Bowl sending a teaser. Would be awesome.

The Arizona Bowl has a recent facebook post inviting Cowboys fans to like and comment if they are interested in seeing Wyoming in the game. I think it may be worth liking the post and stating something to show the Arizona Bowl committee the interest Wyoming fans have in the game.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Liking this particular post on Twitter might be worth something as well.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

phxpoke wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:05 pm I'm assuming the Pokes are practicing hard all week preparing just in case. Does anyone know for sure?
Bohl tried, but Burman locked him out and took his keys.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

The Arizona Bowl needs to be aware of the fact that Wyoming has a higher Sagarin rating than SDSU, Nevada and Hawaii (already in the Hawaii Bowl). :whistle:

Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I have a feeling we will be one the 5 Bowl eligible teams that don't go bowling.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Wyo2dal wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:03 am I have a feeling we will be one the 5 Bowl eligible teams that don't go bowling.
I'll admit I had the same feeling. To quote a famous line...."I got a bad feeling about this..."
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Arizona bowl better not just be taunting us!