Possible bowl gane

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

It's a sales job at this point. Let's see how the ad and commissioner do. This is going to be a fight. I wouldn't be surprised if we get an email requesting commitments to buy bowl tickets.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:18 am I guess I'll be the wet blanket on the bowl watch. I don't see any point in going to some minor bowl game in a 3/4 empty stadium. Our future star QB won't be playing anyway. The payout for these little bowls is so poor that the school probably loses money on the deal. It's a long a season and the players don't need more practice. That's what spring ball is for.
no way. It means a LOT to the players
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:38 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:18 am I guess I'll be the wet blanket on the bowl watch. I don't see any point in going to some minor bowl game in a 3/4 empty stadium. Our future star QB won't be playing anyway. The payout for these little bowls is so poor that the school probably loses money on the deal. It's a long a season and the players don't need more practice. That's what spring ball is for.
no way. It means a LOT to the players
Also, you don't think this team could use extra weeks of practice that teams like usu, Boise, hawaii are getting and that we lost to? I think this team could use all the practice it can get.

Also helps with recruiting. Extra tv games are important to recruits
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I nominate you to be the one to tell Dewey that you don't want to see him play another game in a Cowboy uniform. To his face.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:49 pm
I nominate you to be the one to tell Dewey that you don't want to see him play another game in a Cowboy uniform. To his face.
What a silly post. Where did I say I didn't want to see any specific player play another game? How about addressing what I actually wrote? Will the stadium be empty? Will UW make any money on a minor bowl?
Do you think the players really want to play? I doubt many of them do. This is like the CBI decision. I seriously doubt another tv game makes one bit of difference to recruiting. We were on CBS sports, Fox Sports, and ESPN plenty of times this year. It's great we won our last 4 games of the year. But at least acknowledge that we beat 2 3-9 teams, a 1-11 team, and a 5-7 team. We hardly deserve to be in a bowl based on our resume.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:32 pm
What a silly post. Where did I say I didn't want to see any specific player play another game? How about addressing what I actually wrote? Will the stadium be empty? Will UW make any money on a minor bowl?
Do you think the players really want to play? I doubt many of them do. This is like the CBI decision. I seriously doubt another tv game makes one bit of difference to recruiting. We were on CBS sports, Fox Sports, and ESPN plenty of times this year. It's great we won our last 4 games of the year. But at least acknowledge that we beat 2 3-9 teams, a 1-11 team, and a 5-7 team. We hardly deserve to be in a bowl based on our resume.
This is ridiculous IMO. Wyoming is as deserving of a bowl as about any other 6-6 team in the country.

And yes it does matter for recruiting! Being able to say that the team plays in bowl games on a yearly basis matters.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

This is the silly post. Of course every kid on the team would want to play in a Bowl game. Not to mention the seniors that may never suit up again after their college career. Ridiculous to think they wouldn’t want to participate in another game, and the experience/atmosphere of a Bowl. Im sure everyone on the team wants to see Wingard break the MWC record for tackles - that alone would be reason enough.

Without a doubt, the exposure does help recruiting and the program overall.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

Also, as a fan, I guess you can call me greedy, but I want to see our Pokes play one more game!!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

All that other poop doesn't matter. This is about the student-athletes that put in all the wok, especially the seniors. Period. If we have players who would rather not compete in a bowl, then we have big problems.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:48 pm
This is ridiculous IMO. Wyoming is as deserving of a bowl as about any other 6-6 team in the country.

And yes it does matter for recruiting! Being able to say that the team plays in bowl games on a yearly basis matters.
I won't argue the first point. I question if any 6-6 team should be in a bowl. Our best team in recent memory was 2016. Had we played a bowl game any time recently? No.
Csewe played in minor bowl games the last 3 years. Has it helped their recruiting? The answer is obvious.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Last edited by ItSucksToBeACSURam on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:51 am

I won't argue the first point. I question if any 6-6 team should be in a bowl. Our best team in recent memory was 2016. Had we played a bowl game any time recently? No.
Csewe played in minor bowl games the last 3 years. Has it helped their recruiting? The answer is obvious.
I think you're confusing development with recruitment. CSU has been in the top 5 MWC recruiting rankings the last few years. Wyoming has been near the bottom. Their poop play and terrible seasons havent been related to recruiting so much as they have been about terrible.... erm, I mean wonderful coaching and development by Bobo and staff.

There is no doubt that we NEED to play in a bowl game this season. The ability to say we've played in a bowl game 3 years in a row will be very good for recruiting.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:51 am

The answer is not obvious, CSU has had good recruiting classes on paper the last few years they just haven't panned out for whatever reason.

Do you really believe that making a bowl game 3 years in a row would have no positive impact on recruiting?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Yeah, CSU's had some very solid recruits in recent years, and some of their commits for this class look good as well. Would LOVE to flip Kyle Helbig's (3 star 6'3, 215 TE from Broomfield) or Aidan Cullen's (3 star 6'5, 245 SDE from Monument, CO) commitments, for example. We offered both of them.

Last year they had 17 3 star commits of which 2 were 4 stars who were downgraded (potentially for committing to a G5 school?).

It should be mentioned that we have several more commits so far in this year's recruiting, though, so maybe CSU is in for a serious drop in talent? If they can't get anything out of talented players, watch what they do with junk.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:21 am Yeah, CSU's had some very solid recruits in recent years, and some of their commits for this class look good as well. Would LOVE to flip Kyle Helbig's (3 star 6'3, 215 TE from Broomfield) or Aidan Cullen's (3 star 6'5, 245 SDE from Monument, CO) commitments, for example. We offered both of them.

Last year they had 17 3 star commits of which 2 were 4 stars who were downgraded (potentially for committing to a G5 school?).

It should be mentioned that we have several more commits so far in this year's recruiting, though, so maybe CSU is in for a serious drop in talent? If they can't get anything out of talented players, watch what they do with junk.
So it looks like Bobo is coming back for at least one more year. They will continue to suck and Bobo will probably be let go after next year and then they will go into a rebuild. They could suck for a long time to come. Yay!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:28 am
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:21 am Yeah, CSU's had some very solid recruits in recent years, and some of their commits for this class look good as well. Would LOVE to flip Kyle Helbig's (3 star 6'3, 215 TE from Broomfield) or Aidan Cullen's (3 star 6'5, 245 SDE from Monument, CO) commitments, for example. We offered both of them.

So it looks like Bobo is coming back for at least one more year. They will continue to suck and Bobo will probably be let go after next year and then they will go into a rebuild. They could suck for a long time to come. Yay!!
I dont think Bobo is going anywhere.... His "fireout" clause would cost them $8 million this year and another $5.5 million next year. Thats a lot of money I cant see them eating. They'll ride his poop to 1/4 capacity attendance and 12 more wins max until his contract is up in 2022.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

Going to a bowl game can help us but I don't think it really hurts in any way as far as recruiting goes. Sometimes we talk like we know but I am not sure we really do know.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

I'm jealous of CSU's recruits and WR's. They have talent but aren't disciplined and seem to lack an identity. I think their coaching is holding them back.

Any bowl appearance is positive for a program. I'm hoping we find a way to make it happen!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

J-Bone wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:18 pm I'm jealous of CSU's recruits and WR's. They have talent but aren't disciplined and seem to lack an identity. I think their coaching is holding them back.

Any bowl appearance is positive for a program. I'm hoping we find a way to make it happen!
I'm not jealous of their recruits in general, we're better than they are, we've beaten them 6 of the last 9, I think, but they do seem to always have one ridiculously good WR at all times. I hope Preston Williams goes pro and they suck next year. P. Williams was literally the only thing they had going for them this year.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

As a team we're better, but it's hard to argue that they don't pick up some good recruits.