Watched replay of the game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

-AF is a dirty, dirty team. Numerous late hits in addition to the "cut" block crap that they employ. X got tackled well into the end zone. Receivers getting blasted well after the ball was dropped or incomplete. Wingard taking a shot after he was down on his pick. Ridiculous.

-Granderson played well. And he wore a strait-up hooded sweatshirt under his pads. LOL! awesome. I will miss Granderson so much.

-I noticed we only put the QB on his butt a couple times on the option. It's my understanding vs the option that the QB should be tackled on pretty much every play whether he pitches it or not. The DE would not tackle their QB and then helplessly chased the play after the pitch was made. Might as well cream the QB...

-They sliced us up on the interior runs. Not sure how to fix that. They always had blockers getting to the second level impeding our backers.

-Mayfield is a great football player. He must be strong as hell. He's got Brian Hill-like ability to break tackles. He's really stepped up this year. I will miss him too. He is one of my favorites. The ultimate special teams player & wedge-buster (not so much this year, but years past)

-Price made some tough catches. He has had a great second half of this year. He's a solid WR and will be missed.

-Conway played his best game of the year. made some tough catches and held on to the dang ball. :thumb:

Go Pokes!
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:18 am -I noticed we only put the QB on his butt a couple times on the option. It's my understanding vs the option that the QB should be tackled on pretty much every play whether he pitches it or not. The DE would not tackle their QB and then helplessly chased the play after the pitch was made. Might as well cream the QB...
Agree with everything you've said, but this one fried me all game. I think the D was playing tentative for some reason, which is why they gashed us up the middle all game. Lots of times the DE squared up on the QB, then waited to see if he would pitch it. Didn't understand that, but it must have been coached because it happened so often.

Doesn't NM run a similar triple option? If so I hope they get that corrected in practice this week.

GO POKES!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Bohl was saying post game that they used pretty much the same defensive plan to stop AFA as they have the last few years. There were some tweaks because AFA switched up their offense in the off season to be more of a multiple look than a triple option. Wingard said post game that much of what they practiced for after reviewing film and game plans didn't happen. AFA had studied Wyo pretty heavily and switched things up. Hazelton made some high risk calls at the end of the game to get AFA off the field, and it worked.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WyoBrandX wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:50 pm Bohl was saying post game that they used pretty much the same defensive plan to stop AFA as they have the last few years. There were some tweaks because AFA switched up their offense in the off season to be more of a multiple look than a triple option. Wingard said post game that much of what they practiced for after reviewing film and game plans didn't happen. AFA had studied Wyo pretty heavily and switched things up. Hazelton made some high risk calls at the end of the game to get AFA off the field, and it worked.
Just ONE MORE example of Hazelton being a bomb ass hire. Wish our OC had the capacity to make changes and call risky plays when its needed most.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

f-word Airforce. They are masters at hitting during & after the whistle. They must practice that poop. And they love to hit you below the waist.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

I think footing had a big impact on our dline.....its easier to block when you know where you are going....I'm not positive but I think the rules have changed as far as hitting a QB in the option. I know in HS you can't drill the QB after a pitch almost like a throw....it's roughing.....I'm not exactly sure about college football but the way that they protect QBS....it may be something like that.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:30 pm I think footing had a big impact on our dline.....its easier to block when you know where you are going....I'm not positive but I think the rules have changed as far as hitting a QB in the option. I know in HS you can't drill the QB after a pitch almost like a throw....it's roughing.....I'm not exactly sure about college football but the way that they protect QBS....it may be something like that.
I think missing youhanna was partially the problem. I believe last year he had a monster game against them
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:21 am
Brown and Gold wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:30 pm I think footing had a big impact on our dline.....its easier to block when you know where you are going....I'm not positive but I think the rules have changed as far as hitting a QB in the option. I know in HS you can't drill the QB after a pitch almost like a throw....it's roughing.....I'm not exactly sure about college football but the way that they protect QBS....it may be something like that.
I think missing youhanna was partially the problem. I believe last year he had a monster game against them
Yeah, he had 11 freaking tackles in that game (including a sack). Javaree Jackson had 10 (and Wilson had 12). Any time your D-Line leads your team in tackles, you're probably having a good game defensively.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:34 am Yeah, he had 11 freaking tackles in that game (including a sack). Javaree Jackson had 10 (and Wilson had 12). Any time your D-Line leads your team in tackles, you're probably having a good game defensively.
That or you're playing a team who is perfectly content with running 2-3 yard runs 50 times a game in order to break off 10 big ones.

Not trying to take away from his game, but clearly the style of play goes into it.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

McPeachy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:29 pm f-word Airforce. They are masters at hitting during & after the whistle. They must practice that poop. And they love to hit you below the waist.
The Citadel does it as well. I don't know what it is about some of those Military Schools that employ that type of tackling, btw, GT does it, too. I thought the NCAA had came out with a new rule that would ban some of that nonsense. I guess they didn't.