Thinking about "recruiting to Wyoming"...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

1986 - 1996 tells the story. Look at the rosters, recruits, JC transfers, etc. Decent coaches that know how to sell Wyoming and all it offers, to the right kids (right kids from the right areas of the country), will have all the success they want (if they can also develop). I am so f-word tired of that excuse...not saying 'ol Bohly is using it right now, but I'll be a MF'er if it isn't on the horizon.

#recruit-the-northern-mid-west-to-build-something-special
#recruit-the-junior-colleges-to-build-something-special
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
BJC
A Real Cowboy

:thumb:
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Makes sense Yarborough from Illinois, Harris from Minnesota, and the QBs from Juco. I don’t understand the aversion to JuCO players from this staff considering JA was an all time talent.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I like JuCo players a lot, too. Why does this staff not like players like Rico Gafford, Josh Allen and Jacob Hollister?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Yeah, not buying it. Things have change a LOT since 1996, Laramie is not desirable to most recruits. I'd argue it's the hardest town to recruit to in FBS.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 pm Yeah, not buying it. Things have change a LOT since 1996, Laramie is not desirable to most recruits. I'd argue it's the hardest town to recruit to in FBS.
BS. If you buy into this theory then may as well join the SDpokefan drop down bandwagon. We’re just little ol Wyoming and no one wants to play for us. BS. Players will go anywhere if there are good coaches and they believe they have a chance to win there.

Yes we are not UCLA in terms of desirability. But if you think that Laramie is exponentially worse than places like Logan Utah, Reno Nevada, Albuquerque New Mexico, Pullman Washington, Waco Texas, Fresno CA, Manhattan Kansas, etc etc then we may as well give up .
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:23 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 pm Yeah, not buying it. Things have change a LOT since 1996, Laramie is not desirable to most recruits. I'd argue it's the hardest town to recruit to in FBS.
BS. If you buy into this theory then may as well join the SDpokefan drop down bandwagon. We’re just little ol Wyoming and no one wants to play for us. BS. Players will go anywhere if there are good coaches and they believe they have a chance to win there.

Yes we are not UCLA in terms of desirability. But if you think that Laramie is exponentially worse than places like Logan Utah, Reno Nevada, Albuquerque New Mexico, Pullman Washington, Waco Texas, Fresno CA, Manhattan Kansas, etc etc then we may as well give up .
I personally like Laramie, I have no qualms with it. And I'm not saying that we can't win or be successful at the FBS level. But I also realize the reality that is today's college football landscape. To a recruit from California or Texas, all of the places you mentioned have more appeal than Laramie, it's just reality. That's why having top notch facilities is so important, we aren't going to win people over with the town, so we need to offer something else.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

We could probably debate this for weeks...but I agree, a LOT has changed since 1996. And I will never buy the "laramie is not desirable" poop. You have to find the right recruit, in the right area, and you have to sell it. Here are a few of the things I agree with you that have changed a LOT:

1. Weather is considerably better / nicer now than 20+ years ago. CONSIDERABLY.
2. Facilities. No comparison. 2018's facilities are FAR superior. HAPC / IPF to name a few.
3. Player stipend - not sure the exact $$, but 1996 and before didn't get poop compared to the $4000 +/- added to each athlete's coffers annually these days.
4. Community changes are immense. To name a few - HGI, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, The University Plaza (new theater & restaurants), 13 or so added restaurants, easier access to outdoor recreation, etc., etc., etc.
5. Assistance with tutor & education. Heads & shoulders above anything 1996. Massive upgrade here...and the point of it all (a good education).
6. Budget. Athletics. Football. At least 4 times the budget in 2018 than 1996 and before.

Moving on...
Dear Karma,

WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:42 am
We could probably debate this for weeks...but I agree, a LOT has changed since 1996. And I will never buy the "laramie is not desirable" poop. You have to find the right recruit, in the right area, and you have to sell it. Here are a few of the things I agree with you that have changed a LOT:

2. Facilities. No comparison. 2018's facilities are FAR superior. HAPC / IPF to name a few.
3. Player stipend - not sure the exact $$, but 1996 and before didn't get poop compared to the $4000 +/- added to each athlete's coffers annually these days.
4. Community changes are immense. To name a few - HGI, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, The University Plaza (new theater & restaurants), 13 or so added restaurants, easier access to outdoor recreation, etc., etc., etc.
5. Assistance with tutor & education. Heads & shoulders above anything 1996. Massive upgrade here...and the point of it all (a good education).
6. Budget. Athletics. Football. At least 4 times the budget in 2018 than 1996 and before.

Moving on...
I actually agree with all of your points. However, point #6, while true, is misleading. While the Wyoming budget has increased significantly, it hasn't increased at the same rate as that of the bigger schools.

My point isn't to bash Laramie, like I said, I like Laramie. I'm just pointing out the reality. I highly expect a bunch of Wyoming fans to like Laramie and defend it. But everyone needs to realize that a bunch of 18-year olds that have never been within 100 miles of UW, aren't going to find the town as desirable as we all do.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Moving on...
Not too sure about #1. I can remember washing my car on a 60 degree Christmas Day in 1986. Human beings have a lousy memory for weather...

I agree on a lot of the other things, but one other significant difference is the number of D1/ FBS football programs that we have now versus 1986. There were 105 D1A football schools in 1986. Today there are 24 more. That's a 22.9% increase in competition for players. Now, while our population has grown since 1986 by about 25%, we are also beginning to see a drop in high school football participation. Couple all of that with more D1 programs distributed throughout the US in states like Texas and Florida, and you are simply dealing with a tighter recruiting pool as a lot of players that might have come to MWC schools can now stay closer to home and play D1 level football.

All that being said, UW needs a much more polished approach to selling itself and marketing Laramie as one of the best outdoor lifestyle college towns in the U.S. Our "World Needs More Cowboys" campaign is a step in the right direction, but over the years, our ads and brand image have been clunky at best, amateur at worst...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:19 pm

All that being said, UW needs a much more polished approach to selling itself and marketing Laramie as one of the best outdoor lifestyle college towns in the U.S. Our "World Needs More Cowboys" campaign is a step in the right direction, but over the years, our ads and brand image have been clunky at best, amateur at worst...
Agree. This new marketing campaign has been nothing short of outstanding. The results are coming in and the increase in interest in the University that can be directly attributed to the campaign show that these may be the best monies the University has ever spent.

Frankly, every graduate of the University of Wyoming is directly affected by the current standing and perception of the University and its athletics programs (regardless as to when they might have actually attended the University). Those that received Boise State degrees in the 80s can really thank the University for stepping it up and providing much more value to their degree.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Moving on...
Not too sure about #1. I can remember washing my car on a 60 degree Christmas Day in 1986. Human beings have a lousy memory for weather...
I call poop on 1986 Christmas Day being 60 degrees in Laramie...as you state - "human beings have a lousy memory for weather..."

The winter of 2016 was the mildest I can ever remember experiencing. Then came winter of 2017, and it was an even milder winter. No longer are there 20+ consecutive days of below zero like in the 80's and 90's. Thank you global warming?!

:popcorn:
Dear Karma,

wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Logan-fair point
Reno-Significantly bigger
ABQ-Significantly bigger
Pullman-P5, especially for QBs or WRs
Waco-P5
Fresno-Better weather
Manhattan-P5, plus they don't recruit a whole lot better than us anyway Snyder just develops guys into 5th year studs
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I'm only 31, but Laramie's weather does seem warmer now than when I was a kid.

Anyway, Laramie is slowly, but surely changing into what we think kids would want nowadays. Stuff. There are way more dining options here than when i was growing up. Shopping? Who does that anymore? Everyone shops online, so that's one more thing that's gotten significantly better since 1996...

I've heard that Laramie grows at ~1% per year, so sooner or later Laramie will hit a critical mass and will have a mini-explosion of retail offerings. Not sure how I feel about this. I'd like Laramie to remain the Laramie of my youth, but at the same time I'd like to see progress. Conflicted. If it ever gets too big I'm moving to Wheatland lol
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:39 pm I'd like Laramie to remain the Laramie of my youth, but at the same time I'd like to see progress. Conflicted. If it ever gets too big I'm moving to Wheatland lol
I can definitely understand that, even though I live in a town larger than Laramie (at least we don't really have any buildings taller than 2 stories). I still often miss my hometown with population 600.

That said, I'd love it if Wyoming found a new "niche" sector (it doesn't HAVE to be renewable energy, general manufacturing automation is a really interesting field as well) with high quality jobs that mostly required an educated population.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

wyokoke wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Logan-fair point
Reno-Significantly bigger
ABQ-Significantly bigger
Pullman-P5, especially for QBs or WRs
Waco-P5
Fresno-Better weather
Manhattan-P5, plus they don't recruit a whole lot better than us anyway Snyder just develops guys into 5th year studs
Who is the "Wyoming of each conference?
Pac12- Wazzu
Big 12- k state ?
Sec- miss st or ark?
Big 10- Purdue?
Acc- Clemson?
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

I think current staff is doing really good recruiting at most position groups compared to teams from that 96 on.

All three levels on defense way above average or better.

O-line- bout the same as it's always been. A little good. A little depth issue. Always looking better for next few years.

Qb's. I have to say they're doing good at qb. Just made a huge boner not having a juco or otherwise upperclassmen ready. (Nic smith doesn't count)

Running back seems like a revolving door and they didn't have enough. I like the guys they get though

TE's good but not any better. Bad luck has exposed them this year too. Not much track records of te recruiting to look at for comparisons.

Really is wide receiver that this staff has recruited at a below normal for uw standard. Growing up w Wyoming football from the 80's and 90's it's hard not to see a special receiver or so in there. Yarborough was something else, would never see anything like it again right. And then right away Marcus Harris. Then to a time of vines/Malcolm Floyd/mcguffie/bouknight/Brock Ralph. That was an overall terrible team with a receiver group like that.

The fans and alum have done their part. All those facilities ARE great. The right kids will still come with the right program. I still believe bohl might be able to lead it.
CasparMilquetoast
Ranch Hand

You can recruit to Wyoming if you can sell the recruits a vision. Bohl has not done that. He needs to go following the final game of this season.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:31 pm I think current staff is doing really good recruiting at most position groups compared to teams from that 96 on.

All three levels on defense way above average or better.

O-line- bout the same as it's always been. A little good. A little depth issue. Always looking better for next few years.

Qb's. I have to say they're doing good at qb. Just made a huge boner not having a juco or otherwise upperclassmen ready. (Nic smith doesn't count)

Running back seems like a revolving door and they didn't have enough. I like the guys they get though

TE's good but not any better. Bad luck has exposed them this year too. Not much track records of te recruiting to look at for comparisons.

Really is wide receiver that this staff has recruited at a below normal for uw standard. Growing up w Wyoming football from the 80's and 90's it's hard not to see a special receiver or so in there. Yarborough was something else, would never see anything like it again right. And then right away Marcus Harris. Then to a time of vines/Malcolm Floyd/mcguffie/bouknight/Brock Ralph. That was an overall terrible team with a receiver group like that.

The fans and alum have done their part. All those facilities ARE great. The right kids will still come with the right program. I still believe bohl might be able to lead it.
Our OL isn’t terrible. Just young. I think they can be good. And I think we get some decent guys in this area. Hence why Wyo has had how many OL go to the NFL? Last one was Roullier.

Qb wouldn’t have been in this predicament of a Frosh starting, even if JA had still left early to go pro. We would’ve had a junior QB in Chandler Garrett...but he decided to leave when Allen got the start. That is why we are where we are at Qb. The coaches didn’t mess up recruiting. Two players on our depth made decisions to leave at different times, for different reasons and here we are with a TVW starting as a Fr. Can’t say the coaches weren’t recruiting the position either, they went after three. And they got two (TVW, Chambers). And missed on Speight who left Mich for UCLA.

Rb looks fine. We took a hit with Hill leaving early. I am impressed by the two Fr. RBs we have right now. I think they will be s decent tandem back system.

I am concerned with our WR Corp. I figured Price would step up this year, especially with CJ Johnson out(which also hurt us this year) but he seems hit and miss. Conway I have never liked at WR. Okwali, really thought he would step up, and thought we would see Scott utilized more as a big WR for a Fr Qb. Especially after how this group of coaches utilized Maulhardts size when we had him. Right now we have no breakout WRs. It seems like all of our WRs are “possession” WR’s. Which seems to be the reason for our lackluster route running. We do not seem to have a guy who can truly catch a ball over his shoulder right now.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Moving on...
I call poop on 1986 Christmas Day being 60 degrees in Laramie...as you state - "human beings have a lousy memory for weather..."

The winter of 2016 was the mildest I can ever remember experiencing. Then came winter of 2017, and it was an even milder winter. No longer are there 20+ consecutive days of below zero like in the 80's and 90's. Thank you global warming?!

:popcorn:
I call horsesh-t on global warming because most humans have a lousy memory for weather. It's why global warming was such an easy sale...

I remember it because it was Christmas Day, I was washing my car, and it was almost 60 and sunny. We were lucky if we had 10+ sub zero days all winter long. I'm inhuman, ask anybody else who knows me...

:twisted:
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory