Thinking about "recruiting to Wyoming"...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:42 am This is such a gross misrepresentation and oversimplification of a HUGE issue. Yes, there may be some of these players who flat out refuse to play for Wyoming because Laramie is isolated. But what is far more likely is that Wyoming is getting to point where they can get into the homes of higher rated recruits who have offers from other big schools. Why would anyone pick Wyoming over lets say Nebraska or Boise State or CU or Minnesota or Wisconsin (the schools I notice a lot of recent recruits also have offers from) with their histories and current opportunities? String together a few more winning seasons with guys getting drafted and more and more of these kids will start signing here.

Don't kid yourself, players dont sign on the line to play for Alabama because of Tuscaloosa.
Yep, winning and having a legit shot at the NFL is probably more attractive than anything else. If you can convince the recruits they're getting a good academic degree on top of that, you've probably hit the perfect trifecta of reasons to start attracting better student athletes.

Why do talented hockey players go to Grand Forks, ND to play hockey? Because they're generally a winning program and they're a pipeline to the NHL, that's why. Even Canadian kids come there to play rather than playing in Canadian juniors. No offense to Grand Forks, but...
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:09 am Since when did Logan, UT become a glamour location lol
Compared to Las Vegas and San Diego, I completely agree. But compared to Laramie, it is almost 5 times bigger with more options for shopping, food, entertainment, etc. Where UW beats them out is outdoor activities and facilities.
Sorry, but compared to Laramie, Logan is as dull as a marshmallow. It's Provostan Lite.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:16 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:09 am Since when did Logan, UT become a glamour location lol
Compared to Las Vegas and San Diego, I completely agree. But compared to Laramie, it is almost 5 times bigger with more options for shopping, food, entertainment, etc. Where UW beats them out is outdoor activities and facilities.
Sorry, but compared to Laramie, Logan is as dull as a marshmallow. It's Provostan Lite.
I agree with you, but I also am pretty confident the perception to a prospective recruit (one that doesn't know anything about Laramie or Logan beforehand), is that there is more to do in Logan than Laramie...unless hunting, fishing, camping, etc. is your thing. Which - let's be honest - for most kids these days it isn't.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Does Logan even have a bar? ( That's not a restaurant)
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

I wouldn't ever want to live in Logan and love Laramie. But for the average recruit from Texas/CA/Illinois Logan=Laramie just Laramie happens to have colder weather.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

It is all about selling your product, as I originally tried to allude to. And that product is Wyoming Football (which includes the stipend, facilities, tutor system, budget, playing time, etc., etc., etc.). The product is there, but the salespeople aren't worth a f-word poop apparently (in most situations).

Dennis Erickson, Paul Roach, and Joe Tiller (in that order), and their staff's didn't have any problems selling Wyoming Football, and they had far...FAR...less to work with.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:33 pm It is all about selling your product, as I originally tried to allude to. And that product is Wyoming Football (which includes the stipend, facilities, tutor system, budget, playing time, etc., etc., etc.). The product is there, but the salespeople aren't worth a f-word poop apparently (in most situations).

Dennis Erickson, Paul Roach, and Joe Tiller (in that order), and their staff's didn't have any problems selling Wyoming Football, and they had far...FAR...less to work with.
Exactly.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

You're not going to get recruits here because of the town.....Laramie will never sell.....get a winner going and kids will come. Truly, you need a big name coach that you pay well and keep here and let him bring the kids based on his reputation. It's too easy for a kid and his family to look online and see what Laramie looks like...our losing history.....weather.....and what fans say about the players and coaches.....overcome that with a big name coach....he can make families feel like they're kid has a shot at the pros.

If you want a different result....no more hiring up and comers.....assistants.....lower division legends....break the cycle with a big name guy.....otherwise.....we have to try and sell Laramie and that's not easy for consistency.....
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:21 pm You're not going to get recruits here because of the town.....Laramie will never sell.....get a winner going and kids will come. Truly, you need a big name coach that you pay well and keep here and let him bring the kids based on his reputation. It's too easy for a kid and his family to look online and see what Laramie looks like...our losing history.....weather.....and what fans say about the players and coaches.....overcome that with a big name coach....he can make families feel like they're kid has a shot at the pros.

If you want a different result....no more hiring up and comers.....assistants.....lower division legends....break the cycle with a big name guy.....otherwise.....we have to try and sell Laramie and that's not easy for consistency.....
I agree with all your points except I doubt any big name coaches would ever want to come to UW. Unless Wyoming throws some serious coin at them, like over $5 million/year. I guess it depends on what your definition of high profile is. A Saban or Meyer...would never happen. If by big name you mean someone like a Tedford...maybe, but costly.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:21 pm You're not going to get recruits here because of the town.....Laramie will never sell.....get a winner going and kids will come. Truly, you need a big name coach that you pay well and keep here and let him bring the kids based on his reputation. It's too easy for a kid and his family to look online and see what Laramie looks like...our losing history.....weather.....and what fans say about the players and coaches.....overcome that with a big name coach....he can make families feel like they're kid has a shot at the pros.

Maybe it is pride talking, but I completely disagree that "Laramie will never sell". It has in the past, and will in the future. Just need to recruit the proper areas, and employ the proper sales people (coaches) that can sell it. Again - Erickson, Roach, and Tiller (and staff's) never whined like little bitches about recruiting to Laramie. Excuses are like assholes...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

CasparMilquetoast wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:24 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:23 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 pm Yeah, not buying it. Things have change a LOT since 1996, Laramie is not desirable to most recruits. I'd argue it's the hardest town to recruit to in FBS.
BS. If you buy into this theory then may as well join the SDpokefan drop down bandwagon. We’re just little ol Wyoming and no one wants to play for us. BS. Players will go anywhere if there are good coaches and they believe they have a chance to win there.

Yes we are not UCLA in terms of desirability. But if you think that Laramie is exponentially worse than places like Logan Utah, Reno Nevada, Albuquerque New Mexico, Pullman Washington, Waco Texas, Fresno CA, Manhattan Kansas, etc etc then we may as well give up .
You can recruit to Wyoming if you can sell the recruits a vision. Bohl has not done that. He needs to go following the final game of this season.
I agree with your point about selling the vision.

Not quite there with getting rid of Bohl. I think he is the right guy, BUT, if he doesn’t do something about the offense and Vigen it will be the nail in his coffin.

I think a good indicator of potential is the defense - he just needs to get the Hazelton for the “O”.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Anyone know what they do on recruiting visits now?
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm
Does Logan even have a bar? ( That's not a restaurant)
Went to grad school at USU and I can only think of one bar. The White Owl. We did most of our drinking from home or in restaurants.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:51 am

Maybe it is pride talking, but I completely disagree that "Laramie will never sell". It has in the past, and will in the future. Just need to recruit the proper areas, and employ the proper sales people (coaches) that can sell it. Again - Erickson, Roach, and Tiller (and staff's) never whined like little bitches about recruiting to Laramie. Excuses are like assholes...
Exactly, again. The two best college towns in the MWC are FoCo and Laramie, with Boise making a decent run at it. Logan wouldn't qualify for consideration by most standards. Fresno, LV, San Diego, Colorado Springs, Manoa, Albuquerque, and to an extent, Reno, all lack that college-centric feel that you get in serious college towns like Laramie, FoCo, Boulder, Athens, Oxford, Tuscaloosa, Norman, Austin, Blacksburg, Morgantown, Lexington, et al. A real "big city" fix is an hour and a half away, same with an international airport. Lots of outdoor sports opps from skiing and snowboarding to climbing, and biking. Laramie's got an outstanding gun club, nice golf course, and plenty of fun places to blow off steam or get a nice dinner. The town is full of atmosphere in the Fall and Winter. Winters can get cold, but you know what? It gets cold for three, four, MAYBE five days, then the sun comes out and it's pushing fifty in the sunshine. I've traveled all over the U.S., as well as to Mexico, Belize, France, Italy, and Germany. Laramie holds its own against any place I've been as far a being what it is- a mountain college town, and a damn fine one at that.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Laramie and FoCo have the best college bar scenes in the mw. They are fun towns. People say Mill Ave in Tempe is a great bar scene, I’d still think Laramies is better ( what college kid can afford 9$ beers?). I do have to admit that FoCo has the best bar scene, but UWs isn’t that far off. I think recruiting gets easier as Denver’s population explodes.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:11 pm Laramie and FoCo have the best college bar scenes in the mw. They are fun towns. People say Mill Ave in Tempe is a great bar scene, I’d still think Laramies is better ( what college kid can afford 9$ beers?). I do have to admit that FoCo has the best bar scene, but UWs isn’t that far off. I think recruiting gets easier as Denver’s population explodes.
I hope any recruit who chooses between Laramie and Fort Collins makes the mistake to drive through Fort Collins all the way on 287 during rush hour. I can't stand Fort Collins traffic.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Moving on...
[/quote]
Not too sure about #1. I can remember washing my car on a 60 degree Christmas Day in 1986. Human beings have a lousy memory for weather...
[/quote]

I call poop on 1986 Christmas Day being 60 degrees in Laramie...as you state - "human beings have a lousy memory for weather..."

The winter of 2016 was the mildest I can ever remember experiencing. Then came winter of 2017, and it was an even milder winter. No longer are there 20+ consecutive days of below zero like in the 80's and 90's. Thank you global warming?!

:popcorn:
[/quote]
I call horsesh-t on global warming because most humans have a lousy memory for weather. It's why global warming was such an easy sale...

I remember it because it was Christmas Day, I was washing my car, and it was almost 60 and sunny. We were lucky if we had 10+ sub zero days all winter long. I'm inhuman, ask anybody else who knows me...

:twisted:
[/quote]

Not to get too off topic, but global warming has nothing to do with human memory. It has to do with the centuries and centuries of analytical data that shows, pretty definitively, that global warming is happening.
[/quote]

I hate it when these post go political, but here we are........

Didn’t we used to call it global warming until that narrative didn’t work any longer and the liberals had to use “climate change”. Damn, everybody knows the earths temperature has been a cycle - forever. If not Dino would still be roaming. The sky is falling narrative made Al Gore a multi millionaire, while he and all the other liberal nut jobs (Leonardo DeCrappio as one) fly around in their private jets, heating their 20,000 square foot mansions, with guess what fossil fuels. They drive their little electric cars around, carbon footprint you know. Well guess what, there is an emission being burned at the power plant either burning coal or natural gas- but it’s not coming out the tailpipe - yippee!

Data hasn’t been collected for centuries. Try 200 years at best. Did you see any evidence on the Dead Sea scrolls? The longest continuous temperature record is the Hadley Centre's Central England Temperature series. It starts around 1850.

Let’s get back to Cowboy football and leave the liberal poop somewhere else.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Eh... that last post was more political than any others. Please move on.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

"Moving on.....I hate when these posts get political but..."
Proceeds to go on political rant
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

wyokoke wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:30 pm "Moving on.....I hate when these posts get political but..."
Proceeds to go on political rant
Did you intentionally leave off the “but here we are”?

I imagine so.