Overestimating quality of last year's team

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I really wonder if we overestimate last year's team. Better than this year? Sure. Drastically better? I don't know.

We only had 3 quality opponents last year and they handled us. Last year's team would probably have the same record this far but just looked a little better doing it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:42 pm I really wonder if we overestimate last year's team. Better than this year? Sure. Drastically better? I don't know.

We only had 3 quality opponents last year and they handled us. Last year's team would probably have the same record this far but just looked a little better doing it.
I think they would have at least won the Hawaii game with Josh Allen. TVW couldn't find his ass with both hands.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I think we underrestimate the value that Josh Allen brought to the table. The team around him last year was bad too.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I think last year's team would have beaten Washington St. and Hawaii. 2 additional wins is a lot
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

With Josh Allen, this team is 5-2 IMO (losing to Missouri and Boise State). Fresno's scores largely came because of the field position really opened up the playbook for Fresno and because the offense's inability to move the ball demoralized the defense. With Josh Allen, the offense stays on the field and the field position is reversed. As was mentioned by a poster in another thread, Josh also had a leadership quality that guys on both sides of the ball fed off.

That said, if one guy is so critical to a team's success, then the team has real issues.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Washington state is better than boise
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:15 pm Washington state is better than boise
We matched up better with WSU and we were winning at the end of the 3rd quarter. They beat us down in the 4th because the d was gassed. If we had Josh as qb we would have won that game.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

This is the same team as last year minus Allen. Bohl has lost his P5 games by 3 TDs and WSU beat us by 22. He alone isn’t making up 22 points. We still lose that game. I think we beat Hawaii with Allen but otherwise are in the same spot. This is not a good team.
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

disagree....JA could get past crappy play calling by extending plays with his legs and the deep threat was there to keep defense honest. the oc lost the sjsu game with bad player management and worse play calling. it wont take much for someone to come in, call a good game, and look like a flipping genius compared to vigen. just get the offense ranked 70 and we will be a winning team...

i think that is easily accomplished by 90% of offensive coordinators out there
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Agree with this. Last year's defense was statistically one of the best (and luckiest) in the country and without a top 10 QB the team would have won 4 games at the very most. Utah State, CSU, Hawaii and maybe Air Force are ALL losses without Josh Allen last season.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Wyoklaelk wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:30 am disagree....JA could get past crappy play calling by extending plays with his legs and the deep threat was there to keep defense honest. the oc lost the sjsu game with bad player management and worse play calling. it wont take much for someone to come in, call a good game, and look like a flipping genius compared to vigen. just get the offense ranked 70 and we will be a winning team...

One of the more reasonable posts I’ve seen regarding the offense.

Just like 2016, if we would have had a mediocre to average defense, we would have had a very special season. Now, if we only had a semi competent offense, we’d be bowling again.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Wyoklaelk wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:30 am disagree....JA could get past crappy play calling by extending plays with his legs and the deep threat was there to keep defense honest. the oc lost the sjsu game with bad player management and worse play calling. it wont take much for someone to come in, call a good game, and look like a flipping genius compared to vigen. just get the offense ranked 70 and we will be a winning team...

Agree 100 percent. It wouldn’t take much with the talent we have to make this a good team