Total Offense and Total Defense from Glenn to Bohl

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:09 pm
Brown and Gold wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:11 pm Give me evidence that we can get enough kids to come here that are good enough to keep winning. It doesn't matter who coaches us. We aren't going to get beyond the piddly bowl games and 8-4 seasons. We were fortunate to have that for two years. This is our high point for a while. Hopefully we get lucky with a few recruits so we can get back to the potato bowl. Just keep Bohl through his contract and see what happens. No more of the coaching change and start over garbage.
Evidence is with the defense! We recruited all the kids here necessary to have a pretty salty defense. Why not with the offense? You’re telling me that somehow all the good football players ended up one side of the ball? I don’t believe it. It’s coaching/philosophy. Once we change those we’ll be ok. We were a TD from being conference champs two years ago. We can have that year in and year out regardless of your defeatist mentality
To be fair, part of it IS coaching/philosophy. As in, when we get guys that can play either way, most of them end up playing D. Exceptions off the top of my head are Hill (don't know if he counts but was a stud at safety too), Jaylon Watson, and Trey.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Nowhere did I say we should give up or that coaching isn't very important. But we should be realistic about how Laramie makes it harder to recruit. Bohl knows this and hes talked about it a lot. I find your thought process on Fresno vs Laramie hilarious. It's 80 in Fresno right now. They have more places to shop than Wal Mart. They have clubs, and probably a lot more good looking women. Logan is still bigger and has better weather as well.That's all I'm saying. All other things being equal, I think a lot of recruits would choose anywhere in the MW over Laramie. There's only so many people like us that love wide open places and small towns. We can keep pouring money into this program (during a bust time no less) and expecting to compete every year, but it aint gonna happen unless we place an ridiculous financial emphasis on our football program while were cutting education funds elsewhere. But I honestly think a lot of you guys care more about our football team than our education system as a whole so I shouldn't be surprised.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:17 pm Nowhere did I say we should give up or that coaching isn't very important. But we should be realistic about how Laramie makes it harder to recruit. Bohl knows this and hes talked about it a lot. I find your thought process on Fresno vs Laramie hilarious. It's 80 in Fresno right now. They have more places to shop than Wal Mart. They have clubs, and probably a lot more good looking women. Logan is still bigger and has better weather as well.That's all I'm saying. All other things being equal, I think a lot of recruits would choose anywhere in the MW over Laramie. There's only so many people like us that love wide open places and small towns. We can keep pouring money into this program (during a bust time no less) and expecting to compete every year, but it aint gonna happen unless we place an ridiculous financial emphasis on our football program while were cutting education funds elsewhere. But I honestly think a lot of you guys care more about our football team than our education system as a whole so I shouldn't be surprised.
The people of Wyoming care more about education than most. The amount of money spent per student proves Wyoming's commitment to education. Wyoming's educational system and teacher pay ranks near the top in the nation.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:17 pm Nowhere did I say we should give up or that coaching isn't very important. But we should be realistic about how Laramie makes it harder to recruit. Bohl knows this and hes talked about it a lot. I find your thought process on Fresno vs Laramie hilarious. It's 80 in Fresno right now. They have more places to shop than Wal Mart. They have clubs, and probably a lot more good looking women. Logan is still bigger and has better weather as well.That's all I'm saying. All other things being equal, I think a lot of recruits would choose anywhere in the MW over Laramie. There's only so many people like us that love wide open places and small towns. We can keep pouring money into this program (during a bust time no less) and expecting to compete every year, but it aint gonna happen unless we place an ridiculous financial emphasis on our football program while were cutting education funds elsewhere. But I honestly think a lot of you guys care more about our football team than our education system as a whole so I shouldn't be surprised.
I'll post this again... we have 6 3 star receivers on our current depth chart:
Rocket Junior left TCU because of academic ineligibility but was a three star guy.
Scott was a 3 star with offers from teams like Western Michigan
Coldon was a 3 star with 10 different offers, including rival New Mexico
CJ Johnson was a 3 star with offers from 7 different teams, also including Western Michigan
Okwoli was a 3 star with offers from CU and 3 non-Wyoming MWC teams, including Boise
Austin Conway was 3 star with offers from CU and Nebraska among others, but obviously chose Basketball at Wyoming.

You can't tell me that ALL those guys somehow turned into busts because they were evaluated poorly. They all had other solid FBS offers... but what else do they have in common other than having a hard time even catching a cold? Our offensive coaching staff.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I care more about the football team than our education system as a whole. Whatever that means

We seems to be able to recruit women’s sports well. Wbball is a top team annually. Vball is a top two team. Soccer is a top half team each year. I don’t buy that we can’t recruit a football team here.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

You’re one of those more money = better education type guys that thinks education can be solved by infusing an endless amount of money into the never ending pit of governmental beuaracry. You can’t ever cut any funding because, “think of the children”. More money into football can only help and gives a return to fund all the other sports programs. We give Hathaway scholarships away only for the students to move out of state.
W-Y, Until I Die!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand

You guys are insane. You think our education system doesn't get a return on increased investment but an increased investment in football does? Seriously! Everyone else needs to learn to live with less EXCEPT football, cause a football team will make everything better? Did you get dropped on your head or eat paint chips as a child? I love this football team, always have, and always will, but that ends at the point that we start caring more about football than education. Even if what you say is true, that a better football team will increase the value of our university...WTF does that say about our society?

Hunter S. Thompson
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:29 pmWTF does that say about our society?
I think most of us can agree on society being fairly messed up. Sports fandom is one of very few places where you can still associate with people whose beliefs are more or less opposite of your own.

That said, I too believe in better and smarter funded education, but I'll stop it at that to not derail the topic further.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Look at SOS for each ;)
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

You honestly think football players have that much free time? HA! I actually played college football and I can tell you We didn't have time for shopping, going clubbing, or enjoying nice weather. I might as well have gone to college on the moon because those things don't matter when you play D1 football. Most choose which college to play at based on playing time, coaching staff, facilities, and specific degree.
I'm good for 3!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand

Yeah we got way off topic, but we can bring it back and tie it together in a way. We've increased our investment in football SIGNIFICANTLY, and we haven't seen an increased return when we compare ourselves to college football as a whole, at least not yet. If anything we've seen the opposite, unless you want to count an almost conference championship with a MW whose bar has been lowered since Glenn and a single bowl game win. So I guess we double down and hope that return comes later as we always do. And that any talent we have doesn't go pro early or leave to greener pastures with new transfer rules. I won't be holding my breath.

Hunter S. Thompson
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand

And again, I said all things equal most recruits would choose anywhere in the MW over Laramie. I also said they don't have time to enjoy what makes Laramie great to me (daytime activities like hunting and fishing), so your point of athletes being busy isn't lost on me. That being said, if they don't have time to enjoy nightlife then why do so many college football and basketball players get into trouble doing exactly that? Luke Martinez ring a bell? And even if what you said was true... they have no time for anything but their sport, I don't think you need that much free time to enjoy being in 80 degree weather versus bone chilling cold and horrendous wind. Last I checked most football was played outside and you still have to get up every morning and contend with the weather going to school and between classes etc. I'm just trying to make a simple point that to overcome the Laramie effect to the point that we compete every year for a MW title we would have to outspend and outcoach the entire conference, which to me would be ridiculous when we're cutting funds elsewhere and already aren't seeing a return on our increased investments. I just want people to be realistic about who we are, nothing more and nothing less.

Hunter S. Thompson
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand

The people of Wyoming care more about education than most. The amount of money spent per student proves Wyoming's commitment to education. Wyoming's educational system and teacher pay ranks near the top in the nation.
[/quote]

So according to USA today we rank 20th for pay in 2018. And I think the fact that we spend so much per student has a lot less to do with being more committed to education than other states and a lot more to do with transporting rural students long distances and having to spend the same on buildings, maintenance, etc with fewer students to distribute those costs across. Just my 2 cents. Not saying our education doesn't need improving or that we shouldnt explore savings and efficiencies where appropriate, I just don't buy the argument that we're overspending so badly on education we should continue cutting funds and underspending on football.

Hunter S. Thompson
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:29 pm You guys are insane. You think our education system doesn't get a return on increased investment but an increased investment in football does? Seriously! Everyone else needs to learn to live with less EXCEPT football, cause a football team will make everything better? Did you get dropped on your head or eat paint chips as a child? I love this football team, always have, and always will, but that ends at the point that we start caring more about football than education. Even if what you say is true, that a better football team will increase the value of our university...WTF does that say about our society?
Think of the children. Think of the teachers! They just need more money.

Tell me again how giving students free college education and then 90% of them live in a different state paying state income taxes and spending the earned income from those degrees benefits Wyoming? Football is in the black, so spending money on that benefits the university as a whole and a hell of a lot more than liberals arts programs.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:46 am
bullbugle307 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:29 pm You guys are insane. You think our education system doesn't get a return on increased investment but an increased investment in football does? Seriously! Everyone else needs to learn to live with less EXCEPT football, cause a football team will make everything better? Did you get dropped on your head or eat paint chips as a child? I love this football team, always have, and always will, but that ends at the point that we start caring more about football than education. Even if what you say is true, that a better football team will increase the value of our university...WTF does that say about our society?
Think of the children. Think of the teachers! They just need more money.

Tell me again how giving students free college education and then 90% of them live in a different state paying state income taxes and spending the earned income from those degrees benefits Wyoming? Football is in the black, so spending money on that benefits the university as a whole and a hell of a lot more than liberals arts programs.
Investing money in education does provide an ROI just like investing in football does as well. It all depends on where the money is spent. In this case the HAPC is great investment that will pay dividends in a few years. That being said it only just opened and it's going to take a few years to start seeing the benefit. Investing money in the football program smartly will pay off down the line.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

It's what we are to "expect" at good ol mediocrity U, cuz we are Wyoming....
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Helpful stats, thank you for posting.

One historical stat stands out to me that I wasn't totally aware of. When Gregg Brandon was hired as OC, there was an immediate dramatic improvement on the offensive side of the ball. He was then run out of town because he didn't get along with Christensen (who could). At the time I had advocated for Christensen being fired and Brandon being appointed HC.

I make mention of this because Brandon currently has Colorado Mines (#7 in the country) playing the best football in its history with continued ridiculous offensive numbers to go along with a very good defense. Brandon is a Roach disciple and I don't think his philosophy would gel with Bohl's philosophy but I would certainly be intrigued to bring a guy like him as an OC to mix in pro-style looks with some more innovative 4 wide shotgun looks.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

You're forgetting that much of the money invested in football in generated by... football. And Wyoming pours $$ into education. Spare me
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

bullbugle307 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:52 pm And again, I said all things equal most recruits would choose anywhere in the MW over Laramie. I also said they don't have time to enjoy what makes Laramie great to me (daytime activities like hunting and fishing), so your point of athletes being busy isn't lost on me. That being said, if they don't have time to enjoy nightlife then why do so many college football and basketball players get into trouble doing exactly that? Luke Martinez ring a bell? And even if what you said was true... they have no time for anything but their sport, I don't think you need that much free time to enjoy being in 80 degree weather versus bone chilling cold and horrendous wind. Last I checked most football was played outside and you still have to get up every morning and contend with the weather going to school and between classes etc. I'm just trying to make a simple point that to overcome the Laramie effect to the point that we compete every year for a MW title we would have to outspend and outcoach the entire conference, which to me would be ridiculous when we're cutting funds elsewhere and already aren't seeing a return on our increased investments. I just want people to be realistic about who we are, nothing more and nothing less.
OK, you hate Wyoming. We get it. Feel free to never come here
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 am Helpful stats, thank you for posting.

One historical stat stands out to me that I wasn't totally aware of. When Gregg Brandon was hired as OC, there was an immediate dramatic improvement on the offensive side of the ball. He was then run out of town because he didn't get along with Christensen (who could). At the time I had advocated for Christensen being fired and Brandon being appointed HC.

I make mention of this because Brandon currently has Colorado Mines (#7 in the country) playing the best football in its history with continued ridiculous offensive numbers to go along with a very good defense. Brandon is a Roach disciple and I don't think his philosophy would gel with Bohl's philosophy but I would certainly be intrigued to bring a guy like him as an OC to mix in pro-style looks with some more innovative 4 wide shotgun looks.
This dude soulds like a winner! It makes me so sad to think about what this team could be with a decent offense. It would actually be fun