Is Passing Efficiency Holding Back the Wyoming Offense?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

ImageImageImageImage
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

The passing game has been a major talking point this season and last season. So I decided to look at the numbers. These numbers make it pretty clear what the problem is, The questions is: Do they even consider this a problem? Can the problem be fixed by the current staff?

What do you think?
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

Excellent article. Very well written and hits the nail on the head. Would someone please forward this article to Bohl!?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

My take is that WYO will most always have equal or more often lesser depth/talent than the opposition. Good offenses use strategies to minimize those differences. I agree with the assessment of tempo but even changing tempo at times would help. Call your first down play and have 2 more in the pocket ready to go. Line up with 2 TE and a power look. After the run immediately line up and spread them out with a 4-wide look. Send everyone out.

A lot of opposing teams know we run most of the time on 1st so they have a package for that. If you follow up with 2 quick passing sets, it will create mismatches. We allow the D to get the right packages in most of the time.

Most important, IMO, is the lack of isolation and misdirection. WYO will never or hardly ever be a team that can impose their will on another team by lining up and running them over. A creative pro-style offense with misdirection and creating mismatches is the only option. Make the defense work MENTALLY! Off of that, you can have plays that create mismatches. At WYO, the offense has to cater to the skills of the available players because you will never recruit consistently enough to make the roster able to just run people over.

We can be pro-style and more smash mouth but Vigen lacks the vision and creativity to pull it off at WYO. Bohl has to adjust or this will rarely work.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I’m pretty sure if you sent this to Bohl he’d look at you like you were from Mars. It’d get crumpled up and tossed in the wastebasket because it’s not talking about “putting a hand in the dirt and knocking the poop out of your opponent”.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Why did/does Vigen get a pass, but not Stannard when Vigen has been arguably worse?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

That timeline could also be divided into " Gentry" and "no Gentry". "Gentry" was a lot better than "no Gentry"
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

The Navy passing against Hawaii stat is staggering
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Nice work! Wish This type of analytics was applied to Glenn and DC.
Wicks
Blog Team
Been liked: 2 times

marcuswyo wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:08 pm Nice work! Wish This type of analytics was applied to Glenn and DC.
That could be done, would be an interesting comparison. When I'm bored, I'll tabulate those numbers!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

That’d be interesting. I am positive that DC went downhill Brett Smith’s junior year because he moved away from down field and intermediate passing for short passing and extreme up tempo. I bet that Glenn is very similar to Bohl’s teams.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 am My take is that WYO will most always have equal or more often lesser depth/talent than the opposition. Good offenses use strategies to minimize those differences. I agree with the assessment of tempo but even changing tempo at times would help. Call your first down play and have 2 more in the pocket ready to go. Line up with 2 TE and a power look. After the run immediately line up and spread them out with a 4-wide look. Send everyone out.

A lot of opposing teams know we run most of the time on 1st so they have a package for that. If you follow up with 2 quick passing sets, it will create mismatches. We allow the D to get the right packages in most of the time.

Most important, IMO, is the lack of isolation and misdirection. WYO will never or hardly ever be a team that can impose their will on another team by lining up and running them over. A creative pro-style offense with misdirection and creating mismatches is the only option. Make the defense work MENTALLY! Off of that, you can have plays that create mismatches. At WYO, the offense has to cater to the skills of the available players because you will never recruit consistently enough to make the roster able to just run people over.

We can be pro-style and more smash mouth but Vigen lacks the vision and creativity to pull it off at WYO. Bohl has to adjust or this will rarely work.
While I don't necessarily agree that we won't/don't always have the talent, I do agree with this post. There are two aspects to football:
- mental
- physical

Utilize them both. Shyatt used to preach defense in basketball for those nights where you couldn't score. Same here. If your more physical and smarter, you should win. If they are more physical and your more mental, you have a fighting chance. When the defense is more mental and physical, we see what we have seen in the numbers.... :(
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Not letting TVW do his own things that's what's holding the O back
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

routes....

way too many hitch routes, short out routes, or getting it to conway at the line of scrimmage with next to nothing blocking. ive watched plays where all 3 guys going downfield on the same side of the field run 5, 7 and 9 yd hitches. the ball doesnt get there with any time to run, and our wr is standing still while defenders are moving. vigen cant design plays to get wrs open, cant scheme to get a wr/rb on a lb, and cant adjust during a game to exploit a defensive weakness.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 am Good offenses use strategies to minimize those differences.
What about the staff across the field trying to maximize the talent Gap?.... At the end of the day...consistently Fielding a less talented team will get your a lot of losses. Very interesting stat though... Reminds me of true shooting percentage in basketball
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyoklaelk wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:26 pm routes....

way too many hitch routes, short out routes, or getting it to conway at the line of scrimmage with next to nothing blocking. ive watched plays where all 3 guys going downfield on the same side of the field run 5, 7 and 9 yd hitches. the ball doesnt get there with any time to run, and our wr is standing still while defenders are moving. vigen cant design plays to get wrs open, cant scheme to get a wr/rb on a lb, and cant adjust during a game to exploit a defensive weakness.
bingo! we have like 3 plays. all have been figured out now
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:52 am

I literally called every play before we ran it in the first half. My wife asked how I was doing it, and I told her the 6 plays we run. I had better uses of my time than watching Fresno kick our assess in the second half.

I'm a Pokes fan until the day I die, but I have a feeling I'll be spending more time tailgating Saturday than actually watching the game if Vigen is calling the plays.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

WYO1016 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:58 am

I literally called every play before we ran it in the first half. My wife asked how I was doing it, and I told her the 6 plays we run. I had better uses of my time than watching Fresno kick our assess in the second half.

I'm a Pokes fan until the day I die, but I have a feeling I'll be spending more time tailgating Saturday than actually watching the game if Vigen is calling the plays.
TVW averaged 3.7 yards per pass. I didn’t even know it was possible to be that inept. He is not the answer. They better start looking for a new QB while they are at it.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:10 am
WYO1016 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:58 am

TVW averaged 3.7 yards per pass. I didn’t even know it was possible to be that inept. He is not the answer. They better start looking for a new QB while they are at it.
TVW seems to have his receiver picked out before the play even starts. It's a miracle he didn't have 2 or 3 pick 6's in the first half. Their secondary was just sitting on that short out route and he threw it there anyway. I was hoping he would improve as the season progressed but it's looking like the opposite.
Dankohner
Buckaroo

Fustration is all I can say! Vander Waal is a huge problem! 12/32 WTF! He needs to be benched for at least the next game and see if we can get some offense because we can not get much worse! The defense also needs to step it up! How many times were Fresno St. receivers wide open. Fustration does not even begin to say how I feel about this team, pissed is more like it. Something big needs to happen with this team!