Last 4 Games...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

yopaulie wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:07 pm I think Bohl and OL coach Fuchs think they can build and develop o linemen. But what's really weird to me in year 5, is how many underclassmen, especially freshmen, are starting on the line. Never saw more than 1, and usually an upcoming star, while they were at NDSU. They've really missed the mark so far.
I think the coaches dropped the ball early with recruiting lineman(someone posted the OL recruits a while ago and there wasn't many in the early years and then we had some attrition problems with them). The last year or two they seem to have focused and had more success with the oline, which is great. I think these young guys can grow and become good if we don't have more attrition.
specialteamsguru
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:08 pm
specialteamsguru wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:04 pm Smith is a big brain that knows the offense. He should be sharing time at QB. TVW hasn't fully developed yet, and it's not clear if he even has the green light to audible. If he doesn't..it's a true coaching shame. If he does have that power, it's a shame that it's not been demonstrated effectively. Especially when the box is so frequently stacked against us.
This discredits your entire post. We've seen Nick Smith play. We know what he can do (run) and what he can't (literally every other aspect of the position).
We will have to disagree. Bohl should bench the QB with the 2-5 record, remove the game plan from Vigen and go back to the QB that was 0-2 as a starter behind the best thing that's happened to them professionally. The 2017 SJSU game is hard to forgive, but Smith, in spite of the play calling has the better YPA stat at QB.
CalvinWYO
Buckaroo

honestly, why would anybody care if these last 4 games are "winnable"? Heck they're just as much "losable"
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:21 pm
wyoair wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:35 pm We definitely don't get many highly ranked offensive linemen. I think we were close to getting one, and then he changed his commitment after Nebraska offered him? Or was that not a lineman?
I believe it was David Engelhaupt 2* TE. Decomitted from UW the day prior to NSD and signed with Nebraska. Not “highly” rated but good talent. He’s also no longer on the team.
Ah, yep. I was just really annoyed, but sounds like maybe we didn't actually lose anything after all?
There was an o lineman too. I remember his dad wore a nebraska shirt on his son's official visit
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:43 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:53 am
WyoBrandX wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:29 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:32 pm
WyoBrandX wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:22 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:31 pm It will come down to whether the team has packed it in yet or not.
They haven't packed it in yet. What are you - 80? I'm old - but the Pokes will keep on giving it some hell.
Give it a few more losses. Plenty of teams pack it in once there’s nothing left to play for.
Give it a few more wins. Plenty of teams keep on playing regardless. You have given up. You are bitter. You should go do something else besides drag everyone down with you.
Bump. Sorry I am bitter. Our football team is awful. That leads to bitter feelings. We aren’t winning 4 games in a row to end the year.
Anybody who thinks this team could win four games in a row is delusional. If you really think that, ask yourself, "Have I watched the team play this year?" If the answer is yes, ask yourself again if this team could win four games in a row. If that answer is still yes, ask yourself, how could that possibly be?
You were saying? :popcorn:
Kougar78
Ranch Hand

I would have bet my last dollar against this team winning three in a row at the end, much less 4 in a row. Hasn't happened since 1966. Reminds me of Tim Tebow with the Broncos- not that Vander-wall has any of the physical skills of the former Gator - but he manages to make 2-3 completions and a couple runs to extend a possession long enough for a competent player to score.

I can't think of a solitary aspect of the college passing game he is good at, yet he has managed to win some games he shouldn't.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

FarEastPoke wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:57 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:31 pm It will come down to whether the team has packed it in yet or not.
They haven't packed it in yet. What are you - 80? I'm old - but the Pokes will keep on giving it some hell.
Give it a few more losses. Plenty of teams pack it in once there’s nothing left to play for.
Give it a few more wins. Plenty of teams keep on playing regardless. You have given up. You are bitter. You should go do something else besides drag everyone down with you.
Bump. Sorry I am bitter. Our football team is awful. That leads to bitter feelings. We aren’t winning 4 games in a row to end the year.
Anybody who thinks this team could win four games in a row is delusional. If you really think that, ask yourself, "Have I watched the team play this year?" If the answer is yes, ask yourself again if this team could win four games in a row. If that answer is still yes, ask yourself, how could that possibly be?
SD hasn't been around these parts lately. How funny. I really wonder if he actually considers himself a Wyoming fan. Sure doesn't seem like one.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

SD a wyoming fan? I highly doubt it
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:18 pm
SD hasn't been around these parts lately. How funny. I really wonder if he actually considers himself a Wyoming fan. Sure doesn't seem like one.
SDPoke is that guy who always hopes for winners to lose, for people who succeed to fail, for a rainy day on the 4th of July ...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

How good has the running game looked? Pretty good. Kudos to staff and the team for getting it done.
W-Y, Until I Die!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I will definitely, gladly eat crow for our guys turning around the season to finish strong. I still think we are a very flawed football team and don’t think we’d beat any good teams, but it’s better than finished 3-9 as I feared. I still don’t appreciate the rah rah from Bohl preseason about how this was his best team yet.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I like how Bohl's teams don't quit and I think Bohl will turn things around. I also don't think he subscribes to the loser philosophy that WYO can't compete against P5 teams. WSU finished better than expected in a down PAC12. Mizzou beat several bad teams and was a middle of the pack SEC team. poop to penciling those games as losses. I know Bohl doesn't and doesn't accept that as a reality.

I figured all the remaining games were toss-ups. For me, the pleasant surprise was more how the POKES dominated in most of those games.

The O still has major question marks heading into next season. Beating a bunch of FCS-level teams doesn't change that. POKES are a few steps away (and I'd argue some personnel adjustment), but definitely getting closer.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Defense took time to get figured out, but has lived up to last year.

Offense... Run game, especially with Evans, has vastly improved. Pass game? Issues on many fronts that make me wonder what and how they run it in practice.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:14 am I will definitely, gladly eat crow for our guys turning around the season to finish strong. I still think we are a very flawed football team and don’t think we’d beat any good teams, but it’s better than finished 3-9 as I feared. I still don’t appreciate the rah rah from Bohl preseason about how this was his best team yet.
BS. With Chambers we are probably the 3rd best team in the MWC
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I’m around....been crazy busy at work and in the middle of buying a house. But yep I was 100% wrong about them not being able to win the last four. Wasn’t the first time I was wrong. Won’t be the last. I guess that’s why I have to work and don’t live in Vegas! 😊 It was great to see them pull it off and really great to see the line start to dominate. I hope they get selected for a bowl game.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:35 pm
I’m around....been crazy busy at work and in the middle of buying a house. But yep I was 100% wrong about them not being able to win the last four. Wasn’t the first time I was wrong. Won’t be the last. I guess that’s why I have to work and don’t live in Vegas! 😊 It was great to see them pull it off and really great to see the line start to dominate. I hope they get selected for a bowl game.
Ok, who hacked your account?
W-Y, Until I Die!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:35 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:14 am I will definitely, gladly eat crow for our guys turning around the season to finish strong. I still think we are a very flawed football team and don’t think we’d beat any good teams, but it’s better than finished 3-9 as I feared. I still don’t appreciate the rah rah from Bohl preseason about how this was his best team yet.
Your evidence is 2.5 games of Chambers, 2 of which came against atrocious teams. I’m as excited about him as anyone but he has what, like 200 yards passing total to his name? Chambers issue, as we already see relying on running QB power for our offense, is staying healthy for a whole season, and the idea that we’re going to line up and run QB power down the good teams on our schedule all season long is not feasible long term.

We will find out next year because I’m certain that’s what Bohls plan will be.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:35 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:35 pm
Your evidence is 2.5 games of Chambers, 2 of which came against atrocious teams. I’m as excited about him as anyone but he has what, like 200 yards passing total to his name? Chambers issue, as we already see relying on running QB power for our offense, is staying healthy for a whole season, and the idea that we’re going to line up and run QB power down the good teams on our schedule all season long is not feasible long term.

We will find out next year because I’m certain that’s what Bohls plan will be.
Health is a fair concern, but it's totally possible to have a QB power and zone read based offense and have it work against good teams. IF guys can stay healthy.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

We have to get better at beating the top half of the conference. In the last 2 years, we are 1-6 the against teams with an above .500 conference record.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:40 pm We have to get better at beating the top half of the conference. In the last 2 years, we are 1-6 the against teams with an above .500 conference record.
Indeed