What do you think going forward?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

What do you think will happen and what do you think should happen?

The wheels are off this season. Blame anything you want, but the POKES simply are not a good team. For me, I think Bohl sticks with Vigen and Burman sticks with Bohl. How UW administration responds is anyone's guess. Does Burman feel the heat from upper admin?

What should happen. Bohl should remove Vigen today. It really can't get any worse. Every freshman and sophomore should see significant playing time in the last 4 games (maintain redshirt). Find out who can play. Obviously evaluating high school film and practice reps isn't working. Recruit heavy for the deficiencies observed in those games. Lots of holes, I know. Burman should do whatever it takes to up the DC, OC, and recruiting budgets. Bohl should find an older coach with lots of experience to run the offense and Bohl should be open minded about the offense. After these adjustments, Bohl should be given at least 2 more years.

If Vigen stays on, Bohl and staff should be judged by next season's performance + body of work thus far.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Honestly, we have tried the rotating coach carousel for decades and quite simply it hasn't worked. I would say Bohl gets 3-4 years unless we see an 0-12 type team next year. You can't micromanage the coach. Ultimately he should be allowed to pick his staff.

And BTW, I was not for the hiring of Coach Bohl when he was first hired. I was for bringing in an innovative offensive mind like a Bob Stitt. While it sucks to watch the offense, at least the team is relatively competitive for the most part (largely thanks to the defense). It's tough to recruit to Laramie but Bohl has a feather in his cap that noone else we could likely land as a coach has...he helps develop and put guys into the NFL.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:48 am Honestly, we have tried the rotating coach carousel for decades and quite simply it hasn't worked. I would say Bohl gets 3-4 years unless we see an 0-12 type team next year. You can't micromanage the coach. Ultimately he should be allowed to pick his staff.

And BTW, I was not for the hiring of Coach Bohl when he was first hired. I was for bringing in an innovative offensive mind like a Bob Stitt. While it sucks to watch the offense, at least the team is relatively competitive for the most part (largely thanks to the defense). It's tough to recruit to Laramie but Bohl has a feather in his cap that noone else we could likely land as a coach has...he helps develop and put guys into the NFL.
Stitt has a major flaw in his offense that would have been exploited more in FBS than it was at Montana.. which is the lack of formations and it became really predictable. A couple of Big Sky DCs noted that scheming against the Griz offense was relatively easy.
ImageImageImageImage
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

They still have to try to get bowl eligible this season. I doubt that they are going to make it but they have to show people (guys currently on the team, possible recruits, fans and boosters) that while the season thus far hasn't gone even close to how we wanted, they are still working towards a post season birth.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

They should have lost to Boise, they did.
They probably should lose to Hawaii, they did.
They should definitely lose to Fresno and USU. They probably will.

Then the should's end. The CSU, AFA, SJSU, UNM stretch begins. Likely to win all four? No, not at all...but those games are at least winnable. Opponents with problems, just like the Pokes.

All that said, let's say they finish 4-8/5-7 like the FPI numbers suggest they will. Man, with all the talent on defense graduating and the offense in trouble (Evans is a senior too IIRC)...2019 off-season will bring up more questions than we've gotten used to about Bohl's boys since the magical 2016 season. No doubt the preseason magazines wouldn't be kind.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

What will happen: Bohl will stick around, the Cowboys will be even worse next year thanks to graduation losses. He will blame it on having a young team. A year later he will guide the team to a four win season and will be fired. Wyoming will hire a new coach who will also flounder, because competitive talent will never come to Laramie on a consistent basis. History shows us this. This cycle will continue until we all die.

What should happen: Wyoming football moves to FCS where its schedule is commensurate with its talent.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Give him another two years, after that get Brock Spack.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Offense needs a major shakeup. Not necessarily going to a spread or something, but its clear Vigen is in way over his head. Especially without Josh Allen to will the team to wins.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:07 pm What will happen: Bohl will stick around, the Cowboys will be even worse next year thanks to graduation losses. He will blame it on having a young team. A year later he will guide the team to a four win season and will be fired. Wyoming will hire a new coach who will also flounder, because competitive talent will never come to Laramie on a consistent basis. History shows us this. This cycle will continue until we all die.

What should happen: Wyoming football moves to FCS where its schedule is commensurate with its talent.
I don't think it's any worse here then the rest of the bottom half of the G5 schools. It's not any better at New Mexico, UNLV, Toledo, Miami OH, Tulane, Central Michigan, Tulsa, and about 30 more schools. We are competitive for a a year or two have a few down years and repeat. It's the same poop for the bottom half of the P5. How often does Kansas, Missippi st. Rutgers compete for a conference title. There are only about 20 teams out of over 120 that enjoy success every year.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

J-Rod wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:41 am They probably should lose to Hawaii, they did.
That stopped being true after Hawai'i started an inexperienced QB, though.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:11 pm
J-Rod wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:41 am They probably should lose to Hawaii, they did.
That stopped being true after Hawai'i started an inexperienced QB, though.
They started their more talented QB. That freshman has a serious shot at the NFL.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Bohl won't be getting rid of Vigen and I don't think it would matter.

I read on the other board something about during the broadcast of the Hawaii game the announcers said they had asked Bohl about going with a more finesse style offense, and he said something like it would be a travesty if he changed his offensive philosophy.

So that pretty much sums up that the problem with the offense is most likely the head coach and it doesn't matter who the OC is.

Not sure if anyone else heard this.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:07 pm What will happen: Bohl will stick around, the Cowboys will be even worse next year thanks to graduation losses. He will blame it on having a young team. A year later he will guide the team to a four win season and will be fired. Wyoming will hire a new coach who will also flounder, because competitive talent will never come to Laramie on a consistent basis. History shows us this. This cycle will continue until we all die.

You are so ignorant to the way things work in this world. You operate under the assumption that Wyoming would get the same level of talent in FCS as they do now. This would NOT happen. All of the players that come to Wyoming because they are an FBS offer would go elsewhere. Besides that, why would they come here? If FBS recruits don't like Laramie, then why would FCS kids suddenly want to go there.

But please, continue talking on something you have no idea about...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:49 pm

You are so ignorant to the way things work in this world. You operate under the assumption that Wyoming would get the same level of talent in FCS as they do now. This would NOT happen. All of the players that come to Wyoming because they are an FBS offer would go elsewhere. Besides that, why would they come here? If FBS recruits don't like Laramie, then why would FCS kids suddenly want to go there.

Yeah, if Wyoming moves to FCS, I also won't care about their football program anymore. Sorry, it's just not interesting to me at all, even though everybody else is obviously allowed to continue their fandom uninhibited.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

We'd have a better chance competing in the FCS with FCS level players, which is what we have. Or have you not watched the offense this year?
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Yeah, if Wyoming moves to FCS, I also won't care about their football program anymore. Sorry, it's just not interesting to me at all, even though everybody else is obviously allowed to continue their fandom uninhibited.
So you'd rather go 3-9 every year than win at the FCS level? Can I ask why that is? Just curious.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:33 pm
So you'd rather go 3-9 every year than win at the FCS level? Can I ask why that is? Just curious.
I know we will never convince you of facts and how moving to FCS will destroy donor dollars, attendance and Cowboy football in general (including recruiting). However, you too have already told us repeatedly how meaningless FCS wins are. When Wyoming beats top 10 FCS ranked Wofford, you were the one screaming how awful Wyoming football was that it only beat an FCS team by a few points.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Money wise it doesn’t make sense going to FCS. There’s like 5 schools that have crowds and school support. There is likely a split coming in the FBS though at some point ( power conference vs have nots), so I wonder what that will look like. Maybe an expanded playoff helps that but who knows.

I’d rather skip to DII than go FCS, than recruiting would be easier. Not sure what the appeal of FCS football is.
Last edited by ELKMT on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:33 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Going to FCS is lazy and sets a bad example for everyone at the University. I've failed at many things in my life. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have had nearly the successes that I have had. Just because we are having a bad season this year - just two years off of winning the division - is no reason to toss in the towel and say "I suck, I can't do it, I give up."
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times

If we go FCS the tv, state, donor, and ticket money will drop proportionately and we will turn into the FCS version of what we are now, below average with periods of slightly above average. There are about 50 other FBS in a similar situation as we are success wise. We are not Idaho.