I think there's hope for this season

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Ya he’s not a good punter, but I doubt any Wyoming HS punter is as good. There is big jumps to D1.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

cowboyz wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:06 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:09 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:43 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 am and can we get a real punter in here? with how important field position is to our offense seems like we should have a good punter not a HS quality punter.
I would LOVE to have a HS quality punter.....

(Statistically, Zeleski wouldn't be in the Top 5 in Wyoming 4A right now....)
I looked this up and you’re right, he would be 8th....

Punter (School) - Net avg per punt

1. Porter (Thunder Basin) - 41.8
2. Garcia (Thunder Basin) - 41.2
3. Coon (Sheridan) - 39.7
4. Merrit (East) - 38.3
5. Davis (Kelly Walsh) - 38
6. Trimble (South) - 37.3
7. Vite (Central) - 35.8
8. Tim Zaleski (Wyoming) - 35.48
Wow, if only net punting average was just how far the punter can whack the ball. There's also scheme and protection and coverage and opponent. With these stats I'm shocked that the state of Wyoming isn't filling the college ranks with punters. Every one of these HS punters you mention have better net averages than the punters at Alabama, Florida, Miami, Washington, Missouri, Clemson, TCU, Texas, USC etc... How are these other schools missing our fabulous punters?
Have any of you who are referring to the fact that this is net punting average watched our punt coverage? The problem is that our punter gets literally 35.48 yards on his punts. Our coverage is fantastic -- most of the time they have returned it only a couple yards before our guys are all over them with the returner at the bottom of the pile.

Our punter is absolutely horrible.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I agree that there is plenty of hope for this team. I think getting Nico back will be huge. He has been amazing in the game and a half he played and once he went out our running game has taken several steps back. Get him back and the running game will be better which will make our passing game better as well.

Also TVW is learning and getting better every game. The end of the Wofford game I think finally shows us we can rely on him and trust him to do more and I think he also gained more confidence in himself. And it wasn't just the last drive, he and our offense looked pretty good for most of the fourth quarter. The drive previous to our game winning drive he was leading us down the field picking up big chunks of yard until he got blindsided from behind and had the ball pop out for the pick then we got the ball back and he lead us back down the field for the score.

Its still a process and I still have issues with play calling but the offense will continue to get better as the year continues. Need Nico to stay healthy.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Sitting in the upper deck west side literally everyone else's punts clear the horizon of the stadium except for Zaleski. His sometimes don't clear the lower deck horizon.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:41 am Sitting in the upper deck west side literally everyone else's punts clear the horizon of the stadium except for Zaleski. His sometimes don't clear the lower deck horizon.
I had high hopes for him this year. Should be easy to kick the damn ball 55+ yards at 7220. Then again, maybe 'ol Bohly doesn't want him to kick it that far, and out kick the coverage. Who knows. Either way, he has had his share of shanks already this season. He needs another birthday!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:44 am I had high hopes for him this year. Should be easy to kick the damn ball 55+ yards at 7220. Then again, maybe 'ol Bohly doesn't want him to kick it that far, and out kick the coverage. Who knows. Either way, he has had his share of shanks already this season. He needs another birthday!
I did too. Thought punting was going to be one of our strengths. It doesn't seem like he's ever trying to kick it hard, so maybe you're right about the coverage... or he's playing semi-injured.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:33 pm Ya he’s not a good punter, but I doubt any Wyoming HS punter is as good. There is big jumps to D1.
There are 4A punters better than him. Not just net, it's total average per punt as well. Thunder Basin has TWO kids who average 4 yards more per punt than this guy.

You are right, it should be a huge jump from HS to D1, but in terms of our punting....it's not.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I will admit, I miss the rugby punt. Seems that used to give us a chance of turning the field.

I will never forget sitting first row at the Iowa game right in front of a swing and miss punt. Never seen anything like it before.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

'PokeForLife wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:34 pm
cowboyz wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:06 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:09 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:43 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 am and can we get a real punter in here? with how important field position is to our offense seems like we should have a good punter not a HS quality punter.
I would LOVE to have a HS quality punter.....

(Statistically, Zeleski wouldn't be in the Top 5 in Wyoming 4A right now....)
I looked this up and you’re right, he would be 8th....

Punter (School) - Net avg per punt

1. Porter (Thunder Basin) - 41.8
2. Garcia (Thunder Basin) - 41.2
3. Coon (Sheridan) - 39.7
4. Merrit (East) - 38.3
5. Davis (Kelly Walsh) - 38
6. Trimble (South) - 37.3
7. Vite (Central) - 35.8
8. Tim Zaleski (Wyoming) - 35.48
Wow, if only net punting average was just how far the punter can whack the ball. There's also scheme and protection and coverage and opponent. With these stats I'm shocked that the state of Wyoming isn't filling the college ranks with punters. Every one of these HS punters you mention have better net averages than the punters at Alabama, Florida, Miami, Washington, Missouri, Clemson, TCU, Texas, USC etc... How are these other schools missing our fabulous punters?
Have any of you who are referring to the fact that this is net punting average watched our punt coverage? The problem is that our punter gets literally 35.48 yards on his punts. Our coverage is fantastic -- most of the time they have returned it only a couple yards before our guys are all over them with the returner at the bottom of the pile.

Our punter is absolutely horrible.
Punting is for field position. If we out kick the coverage, and lets hope Bohl and the boys know our tolerances, and the returner has a huge return, we blew it. If he punts it a shorter distance and there is little to no return, it worked. While we all want to be better at all positions, punting isn't what will hurt this team, that will be lack of points. Look on the bright side, for our next contest our punting game is way better that our opponent's. Boise is ranked next to last in the country! Maybe all of these P5 schools will be scouting the fertile high school grounds of Wyoming for their punters in the future.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

From a school known for All American punters, hoping he gets this fixed and helps us swing the field position because the opponents starting field positions have been way better than ours. Cmon Tim, take this Bye week and fix some things!!!
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:24 am From a school known for All American punters, hoping he gets this fixed and helps us swing the field position because the opponents starting field positions have been way better than ours. Cmon Tim, take this Bye week and fix some things!!!
I agree we have been getting pounded in the field position battle every game but NMSU. That and losing the time of possession are the two biggest things hindering our defense.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

cowboyz wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:41 amPunting is for field position. If we out kick the coverage, and lets hope Bohl and the boys know our tolerances, and the returner has a huge return, we blew it. If he punts it a shorter distance and there is little to no return, it worked. While we all want to be better at all positions, punting isn't what will hurt this team, that will be lack of points. Look on the bright side, for our next contest our punting game is way better that our opponent's. Boise is ranked next to last in the country! Maybe all of these P5 schools will be scouting the fertile high school grounds of Wyoming for their punters in the future.
Yeah, well, when your offense struggles to put points on the board and you rely on your defense to win most games...field position is everything. Last year we won field position with turnovers. This year we aren't getting turnovers. So guess what....punting matters.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Bottom line, hang-time. He has none. Field position or not, if you float the MF'ing ball up in the air for more than 1 or 2 seconds, the coverage team can get down the field and make a play.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

Who the hell is the special teams coach ???
Do we even have one ??
If the Kid cant punt the ball with hang time maybe go to Rugby ??
We have to do something different
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

CB is the special teams ( at least kicking) coach.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

This bye week is needed. We have a hell of alot of injuries. We need nico evans back. We need fort and harshman back. On top of that, we are playing a conference mate (coaches know what to scheme against somewhat). Damn o line - I hope they can hold up against boise
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

marcuswyo wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:15 pm CB is the special teams ( at least kicking) coach.
Hmm... as short as our punts are, he's done a great job with our place kicker. Remember all those years our kickoffs would land between the 10 and 15 yard line? Now they sometimes carry over the entire end zone (and yes, I'm aware kickoffs have changed somewhat, but not THAT much).

That, and we're 6/6 on field goals so far.