What’s Joe Glenn doing these days?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:21 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:27 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:06 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:11 pm Glenn's SOS was harder by about 30. His teams on average ranked higher through 4 years. He had great bowl win and better record through 4 years.
Don't make me laugh. A great bowl win? Beating a 6-5 UCLA team who fired their coach a year later is not "great". While I don't know how things will work out with Bohl, he recruited a top 10 NFL qb. The qb's Glenn recruited were mediocre (I"m being kind) at best.
Recruiting a top 10 QB is great and all but why does that make Bohl better than Glenn? The attention for Josh cut both ways, yes we got a lot of attention but most of it was prefaced with “but the rest of his offense was poop besides a few players in 2016”.
Simply not true. Josh Allen got on the scout's radar for how prolific our offense was in 2016. We never had a prolific offense under Joe Glenn. Last year wasn't nearly as good. But if Allen doesn't get hurt, I'm guessing we would have only had one conference loss last year. Don't get me wrong, I think Bohl has a lot to prove. But this defense of Joe Glen is idiotic. Other than Vic, he and Christiansen are the 2 worst coaches we've had since before Fred Akers.
It’s tough to overstate what a mess Glenn took over for, which I think must be factored in when comparing Bohl/Glenn. He took over a program that had won a combined 6 games the previous 3 seasons, with not nearly the facilities or level of support that exist now, in a much tougher conference. I don’t see how you can disagree that the MW was orders of magnitude stronger during Glenn’s tenure than during Bohls. Any statistical metric will tell you this. BYU was down at the beginning of his tenure but they were still BYU. A down BYU is a gazillion times stronger than the bottom of the MW now. Then the MW added TCU, BYU came back to form and it was a regular to have 3 teams in a 8 team conference in the top 25.

Bohl by comparison took over a program that went 5-7 the year before, in a decapited conference, with much better facilities, state support, budgets etc. Glenn had a lot of blowout losses to good conference teams, but in terms of embarrassing losses I will rank Bohls worst 3 above any in Wyoming football history, 2015 ND, EMU and 2017 SJSU. Those are absolute embarrassments that to me are much worse than losing to a good Utah team 50-7. I would argue that the 2015 team was the worst in Wyoming football history when you account for SOS and embarrassing losses.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:29 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:21 pm Don't get me wrong, I think Bohl has a lot to prove. But this defense of Joe Glen is idiotic. Other than Vic, he and Christiansen are the 2 worst coaches we've had since before Fred Akers.
By what metric? He was in a stronger conference, playing superior (to Bohl) competition, had a better win % through 4 years, same number of bowl wins, same number of bowl eligible teams, did not lose to FCS teams, Bohl's bad teams were the worst in WYO history, etc.

Joe Glenn's teams in today's MWC would have been bowl eligible 3 if not 4 of the first 4 years.

The defense that Bohl has done miracles at WYO is what's ridiculous and I like Bohl. Superior to Glenn? Not yet.
I can only guess that you are Joe Glenn himself. Ok, a MWC record of 15-31. A grand total of one win each against byu, Utah, and TCU ( a TCU team that was only 6-6). Only 2 wins against a csewe team that were the worst Sonny Lubick teams in his tenure. In 4 of his 6 years, we were 7th or tied 8th in a 9 team conference. To suggest any of Glenn's teams other than 2004 and 2006 would have been bowl eligible is questionable.
I would agree that Bohl has not performed miracles at WYO. I was at the EM game and thought that was the lowest point for Wyoming football I'd ever seen, including the Vic years. But the last 2 years have given me at least some hope. We were competitive in every conference game last year. I don't remember that happening since the 90's.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

calpoke25 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:04 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:21 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:27 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:06 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:11 pm Glenn's SOS was harder by about 30. His teams on average ranked higher through 4 years. He had great bowl win and better record through 4 years.
Don't make me laugh. A great bowl win? Beating a 6-5 UCLA team who fired their coach a year later is not "great". While I don't know how things will work out with Bohl, he recruited a top 10 NFL qb. The qb's Glenn recruited were mediocre (I"m being kind) at best.
Recruiting a top 10 QB is great and all but why does that make Bohl better than Glenn? The attention for Josh cut both ways, yes we got a lot of attention but most of it was prefaced with “but the rest of his offense was poop besides a few players in 2016”.
Simply not true. Josh Allen got on the scout's radar for how prolific our offense was in 2016. We never had a prolific offense under Joe Glenn. Last year wasn't nearly as good. But if Allen doesn't get hurt, I'm guessing we would have only had one conference loss last year. Don't get me wrong, I think Bohl has a lot to prove. But this defense of Joe Glen is idiotic. Other than Vic, he and Christiansen are the 2 worst coaches we've had since before Fred Akers.
It’s tough to overstate what a mess Glenn took over for, which I think must be factored in when comparing Bohl/Glenn. He took over a program that had won a combined 6 games the previous 3 seasons, with not nearly the facilities or level of support that exist now, in a much tougher conference. I don’t see how you can disagree that the MW was orders of magnitude stronger during Glenn’s tenure than during Bohls. Any statistical metric will tell you this. BYU was down at the beginning of his tenure but they were still BYU. A down BYU is a gazillion times stronger than the bottom of the MW now. Then the MW added TCU, BYU came back to form and it was a regular to have 3 teams in a 8 team conference in the top 25.

Bohl by comparison took over a program that went 5-7 the year before, in a decapited conference, with much better facilities, state support, budgets etc. Glenn had a lot of blowout losses to good conference teams, but in terms of embarrassing losses I will rank Bohls worst 3 above any in Wyoming football history, 2015 ND, EMU and 2017 SJSU. Those are absolute embarrassments that to me are much worse than losing to a good Utah team 50-7. I would argue that the 2015 team was the worst in Wyoming football history when you account for SOS and embarrassing losses.

I agree with the vast majority of your post, except the Utah loss was 50-0.
I would even throw in the 2016 loss to UNLV where we gave up 71 points as a low point. Where Glenn failed, imo, is recruiting. I think his teams got progressively worse on offense as the years went by. Then, the blow outs really got ugly. When you consider the 2006 team had 5 conference wins and Glenn's teams only had 15 conference wins in 6 years, that's an average of 2 wins for the other 5 seasons. Unacceptable by any measure.

Bohl did inherit a 5-7 team. But if I remember right, that team had a lot of graduating seniors on offense. I think Herron graduated. Smith turned pro, and the backup qb followed DC to Utah. Even with that, the 2014 and 2015 teams were embarrassing to watch.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Me, Joe Glenn? Lol, no, but I think he was a great ambassador for UW, and, in hindsight should have been given another year. He hung onto Cockhill too long and the O suffered. Very similar to the current situation.

I'm just pointing out that through 4 years, Glenn was better especially when considering conference strength. At this point that is the only fair comparison. All measurable stats point to Glenn having the advantage through the first 4 years.

We assume Bohl's year 5 and 6 are going to be better than Glenn's. In my opinion, year 5 for Bohl is looking to be as bad or worse than year 5 for Glenn and Bohl has the luxury of a weaker conference.

I'm in full support of Bohl, but so far he has been Glenn 2.0 at best. If the wheels fall off or the O ranks sub 100 (for example), then Vigen has to go. Bohl would need at least (at least) 2 more years with his new OC. Burman didn't afford Glenn the same opportunity; he shouldn't make the same mistake twice. If Bohl sticks with Vigen, then year 6 should be the final evaluation....good or bad.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:27 am Me, Joe Glenn? Lol, no, but I think he was a great ambassador for UW, and, in hindsight should have been given another year. He hung onto Cockhill too long and the O suffered. Very similar to the current situation.

I'm just pointing out that through 4 years, Glenn was better especially when considering conference strength. At this point that is the only fair comparison. All measurable stats point to Glenn having the advantage through the first 4 years.

We assume Bohl's year 5 and 6 are going to be better than Glenn's. In my opinion, year 5 for Bohl is looking to be as bad or worse than year 5 for Glenn and Bohl has the luxury of a weaker conference.

I'm in full support of Bohl, but so far he has been Glenn 2.0 at best. If the wheels fall off or the O ranks sub 100 (for example), then Vigen has to go. Bohl would need at least (at least) 2 more years with his new OC. Burman didn't afford Glenn the same opportunity; he shouldn't make the same mistake twice. If Bohl sticks with Vigen, then year 6 should be the final evaluation....good or bad.
I agree with your post but I think(fear) that Bohl is kind of locked in for at least another 2, maybe 3 years due to the size of his buyout/length of contract, regardless of whether we need to make a change or not. Burman gave him an extension all the way to 2023!!! I believe that was crazy personally. Bohl played his hand well in 2016 and Burman bit. I understand paying our coach market value for a top G5 program and fully support that. I also understand tacking on an extra year or two so the coach has their “stability” or whatever but I think we’re kind of tied to Bohl even if the wheels do come off. Poor contract management IMO, giving a coach with a losing record that kind of extension.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

Barring a drastic change this year with the offense I won't buy season tickets next year if Vigen is the OC
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:22 pm Barring a drastic change this year with the offense I won't buy season tickets next year if Vigen is the OC
Get this message out to the rest of the Season ticket holders as well, then maybe a change will be made, lol, that's mean, lol....
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

stymeman wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:57 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:22 pm Barring a drastic change this year with the offense I won't buy season tickets next year if Vigen is the OC
Get this message out to the rest of the Season ticket holders as well, then maybe a change will be made, lol, that's mean, lol....
I'd feel bad. I'll support the pokes through thick and thin, but I won't if they're waiving a white flag, which is what they'd be doing if they bring Vigen back without seriously showing something this season
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I won’t buy season tickets the years we play BYU. In my personal opinion/choice I will if Vigen remains ( minus the BYU seasons). Mostly because I think it’s Bohl’s decision to make if he’s the CEO of the program. I also don’t think there is anyway that we get rid of him, Bohl seems stubborn on his offensive philosophy ( he did seem to tweak the defensive schemes after ther first year in so far as using a nickel/lb hybrid).

The BYU stuff is more concerning as far as ticket boycott.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Joe Glenn was a rah-rah coach. I rarely ever saw him with the headset on when he was hanging out on the sidelines. He let his coordinators run the program.

I think he did a hell of a job when he had talent. He didn't recruit much talent though.

I know recruiting rules changed alot around the 2002-2003 time. They couldn't use the state plane anymore. Had to drive people to Laramie...Yada yada. I'm sure that made a difference as well.

NCAA needs to loosen up recruiting rules a bit. Both coaches would benefit from that.