5 Things I Think: Wyoming vs Wofford [WyoNation Blog]

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Yep, you pretty much hit the nail on the thumb. All the Pokes need is an O line that can block, an RB, Receivers who can catch a ball, a D line that can put pressure on the QB, and corners that can cover.

other than that they are Ok
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

I agree, no time to panic...yet.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Whoah! You called out Vigen! Fanboys on your ass in 3..2....

Expect an onslaught of "ball control", "oh, I guess you want an air raid offense", "last year everyone complained and we were just short of a ny6 invite", or some other nonsense.

Largely agree with your good assessment despite the fanboys.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

While I'm not impressed with the oline, keep in mind that anemic, vanilla play calling makes it harder on the line, too. It's tough to block 7 and 8 in the box on run plays, and rather difficult for a young inexperienced line to protect a good pass rush.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 pm Whoah! You called out Vigen! Fanboys on your ass in 3..2....

Expect an onslaught of "ball control", "oh, I guess you want an air raid offense", "last year everyone complained and we were just short of a ny6 invite", or some other nonsense.

I see waaaaay more complaints about Vigen than I do "fanboys" defending him.

As in, there are maybe 1 or 2.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:03 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 pm Whoah! You called out Vigen! Fanboys on your ass in 3..2....

I see waaaaay more complaints about Vigen than I do "fanboys" defending him.

As in, there are maybe 1 or 2.
Agreed. I've seen no one that thinks Vigen is the next Lombardi or is even a top coordinator in college football.

I've seen a few reasonable posters that recognize that any coordinator would struggle from a gameplan standpoint with the personnel we currently have on offense. Whether Vigen should be blamed for the recruiting that has led to an offense full of underclassmen and a lack of receiver talent, that is a separate question entirely.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:20 am I've seen a few reasonable posters that recognize that any coordinator would struggle from a gameplan standpoint with the personnel we currently have on offense. Whether Vigen should be blamed for the recruiting that has led to an offense full of underclassmen and a lack of receiver talent, that is a separate question entirely.
I refuse to believe we have a lack of receiver talent.

Austin Conway: 3 Star recruit (who we got lucky with)
Rocket Junior: 3 Star recruit
Jared Scott: 3 Star recruit
John Okwoli: 3 Star recruit

Yes, star ratings aren't everything, but it generally means they've looked very solid at a high school level, at the very least.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:20 am Agreed. I've seen no one that thinks Vigen is the next Lombardi or is even a top coordinator in college football.
Top? I'd say the debate is centered around adequate and there are more than a few that think he's adequate, some even think good.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:18 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:20 am I've seen a few reasonable posters that recognize that any coordinator would struggle from a gameplan standpoint with the personnel we currently have on offense. Whether Vigen should be blamed for the recruiting that has led to an offense full of underclassmen and a lack of receiver talent, that is a separate question entirely.

Yes, star ratings aren't everything, but it generally means they've looked very solid at a high school level, at the very least.
+1 It almost takes talent to negate any talent you may have on the offenseive side of the ball. Astounding, really.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I don't think Conway is really good at what people are trying to make his focal point. He has fine hands and can catch the ball downfield, but I think we should keep him downfield. He never gets anything but 10-15 yards of lateral running and jukes when we get him the ball out in space within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Everyone's opinion on if he should still be ahead of the others on the depth chart? Just curious.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:38 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I don't think Conway is really good at what people are trying to make his focal point. He has fine hands and can catch the ball downfield, but I think we should keep him downfield. He never gets anything but 10-15 yards of lateral running and jukes when we get him the ball out in space within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Everyone's opinion on if he should still be ahead of the others on the depth chart? Just curious.
He also goes down really easy.
W-Y, Until I Die!
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:18 pm
'PokeForLife wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:38 pm

He also goes down really easy.
Well this game actually answered my question for me. Conway is definitely our best receiver, but also showed that he really should just be kept 10 yards down field. Good hands.