Avante Cox

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am I was actually going to bring him up and how i thought he should be targeted instead of Conway. I too thought it is weird we haven’t seen him after his TD in the WSU game
He left the team Sep. 10.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I'd be pissed too if Conway and Ismail were getting more opportunities than me.
Football Fan 22
Buckaroo

Oreodifferpoke, Yes I am a family member, tell me how can Avante contribute to the team by sitting on the bench every game. For everyone that has an opinion tell me why was Avante listed as the starter on the depth chart but doesn't start or get targeted. I usually don't post on social media because people only pick apart sections of your comments instead of addressing the whole statement. I tried to get my son to stay at WYO but you bring in a kid from a JUCO and target him more than Price, Conway and all the receivers from last year. Address why Ismail has more dropped passes than anyone on the team. Avante did work hard he was the starter!!!!!!
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Football Fan 22 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:10 pm Oreodifferpoke, Yes I am a family member, tell me how can Avante contribute to the team by sitting on the bench every game. For everyone that has an opinion tell me why was Avante listed as the starter on the depth chart but doesn't start or get targeted. I usually don't post on social media because people only pick apart sections of your comments instead of addressing the whole statement. I tried to get my son to stay at WYO but you bring in a kid from a JUCO and target him more than Price, Conway and all the receivers from last year. Address why Ismail has more dropped passes than anyone on the team. Avante did work hard he was the starter!!!!!!
It sucks to see Avante leave, but I completely understand. I'm afraid we're going to lose Jared Scott as well and maybe more. If I'm a receiver or a throwing QB, the Wyoming offense would be the last place I would want to play at the moment. It sure seems like Vigen's mental capacity to be creative and spread the ball around is non-existent. He's so predictable is ridiculous. It's either run, a play action to Fort/Mayfield, or a poop pass to Ismail/Conway/Price.

I feel for Avante, and it sucks he left our program. Best of luck to him, and hopefully he lands with a offensive coordinator that has a playbook bigger than a 5th grade flag football team.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Football Fan 22 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:10 pm Oreodifferpoke, Yes I am a family member, tell me how can Avante contribute to the team by sitting on the bench every game. For everyone that has an opinion tell me why was Avante listed as the starter on the depth chart but doesn't start or get targeted. I usually don't post on social media because people only pick apart sections of your comments instead of addressing the whole statement. I tried to get my son to stay at WYO but you bring in a kid from a JUCO and target him more than Price, Conway and all the receivers from last year. Address why Ismail has more dropped passes than anyone on the team. Avante did work hard he was the starter!!!!!!
I don't really want to get into a back and forth with a parent of player on social media (We all care deeply about our family and it is really hard to separate the emotion. Honestly I would probably suggest family members stay off social media but I know it is easier said than done.). Having played sports and coached sports, having been an employee taking direction and a manager giving directions, I can say that there are always decisions being made that may not be agreeable or are just flat out wrong. IMO and based on my experience, the best way to respond is to do what you can control...which is to work as hard as you possibly can. Quitting mid-season or mid-project is not an option that I would consider. Teammates rely on you and even if the coach has made the wrong decision to bench you, its football and injuries happen and your teammates may need you later in the season. Evaluate at the end of a project or the end of the season where to go next.

I do thank your son for coming out to Laramie from Illinois and for you supporting him in that decision. Laramie is a long way away and in a very different environment from Illinois and it takes special parents to support their children making such a decision. I hope that he otherwise enjoyed his time in Laramie and wish him best of luck in his future football and collegiate career.
Football Fan 22
Buckaroo

Orediggerpoke, I have played football, coached football and officiated football. I am retired from the Army after 25 years of service. I have lead Soldiers in peace time and war. People don't quite a team or an organization they leave poor leadership. The truth is this, since you have no idea what you are talking about, Coach Grant recruited Ismail so Ismail gets more playing time over a player that is listed as a starter. Avante was recruited by a coach that is no longer on the staff. That is the ugly truth about politics in college football. You say you coached the game so you know this process happens all the time. Avante is not quitting he is moving on to another school to continue his football career. 3 years is all he has left before he can no longer play the game he loves. So no sitting on a bench as a STARTER for two more years is not what he wants to do. I am wondering why none of you get the fact that Avante was listed as the starter, since when does the starter in a position get less targets than the number 2. If Avante was not performing why was he listed as the starter for the first three games. Laramie was great the distance was not the issue I visited Laramie often and I enjoyed golfing out there. The problem is the leadership but we can't talk about that. Trust me as a leader I look at myself before I place blame on my Soldiers. Avante talked to the coaching staff before he made his decision to leave the program I am telling you this because all of your opinions are totally wrong about my son. Go WYO
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

I don't think that all the attitudes about Avante posted here are wrong. I know that he's better than the other wr's. It's been said by a number of people on this and other threads. And if you read other threads for about one minute you'll get the idea that most on this forum agree that the offensive coaching is horrible. The point that oredigger and others are making is that quitting midseason is disappointing. Just make the move after the season. There is never anything but support from posters here for any of the players who move on to other programs, and again you can see that in past threads.

Is there any news on where he will be headed?
Football Fan 22
Buckaroo

I did read other post and they were positive. I am replying to the negative post saying that he quit on his team. Once again he left poor leadership not the football team. I talk to my son everyday and none of you know what goes on behind the scenes. People give their opinions on here without knowing all the variables into his decision so I figured I will explain how he felt about the leadership. I am disappointed he left the program but I totally understand and I support him. I thought my son was going to be in Wyoming for his collegiate career. Avante left after 3 games because leaving early helped Avante save a year of eligibility. I assume that most people that leave comments on here are adults and have jobs. So my question is would you stay at a job for 4 or 5 years if you are not happy with the leadership? Avante's recruiting process is in the beginning stages so nothing to report at this time.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

'PokeForLife wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:24 pm
DVDA wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:08 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:14 pm Reviving a month old thread? Two users with 4 total posts, all discussing Avante Cox and how he was wronged?

Couldn't be a family member...
Even so, they have a point. The kid got the short end of the stick.
Same here. I think he was better than the extent he was being utilized. That said, quitting is just not palatable to me. Stick it out. There are a lot of people who have been wronged in more ways than one.
Nico Evans comes to mind here.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

"..... leaving early helped Avante save a year of eligibility" if that is the case then it really makes sense as to why then.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

What "politics" would have influenced his playing time?

Coaches at this level are judged solely by their production, literally nothing else. We are calling for Vigen's head for lack of production. We are calling for Bohl's head for putting up with Vigen's lack of production. That's neither good or bad, it's simply the way it is. Win or get fired.

Coaches at this level are forced to make decisions that THEY BELIEVE are the ones that will produce more wins. That doesn't mean they are always right, but it's going to be what they believe. I can't fathom an entire coaching staff coming together, concluding that Player A is the one that will give us the best chance to win, but Player B has a "famous" last name. Let's play Player B instead. The makes zero sense.

The coaching staff might totally be wrong in their assessment, but I can't imagine the coaching staff personally slighted this kid knowing full well in their minds that he was the better option.

This "the coach had it out for me" attitude that I see in high school is annoying and hardly ever true. If it does happen, it's because winning isn't the end all be all at that level.
But at the FBS level? I'm sorry, but the coaches didn't think your kid was good enough for more playing time. That's the bottom line.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Saving a year of eligibility is another layer of depth to the situation that nobody here knew. I can totally see how that weighs into the whole thing. Again, hope all the best to him. It is unfortunate that all aspects of these kinds of decisions aren't known to people who post on these kinds of forums (not because we want to be in the details of everyone's lives, but because there are some really off base things said I'm sure). True also that everything said here would probably be said differently if we all had all the info -- whether that be regarding transfers or coaching or any decision someone makes that anyone here doesn't like at first.

Good luck to Avante and your whole family!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

'PokeForLife wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:30 pm Saving a year of eligibility is another layer of depth to the situation that nobody here knew.
I knew. Didn’t and doesn’t change my opinion one bit about quitting mid season. Quitting mid season is not in my belief system period.

But actually I don’t believe it saves a year of eligibility if transferring to an FBS because he is not a grad and still must sit out next year if transferring to an FBS because he appeared in a game this year for Wyoming. The move only saves a year of eligibility for an underclassman (non graduating) under the new 4 game rule if transferring from FBS to FCS or D2. Worth pointing out that he left after the 2nd game and not the 4th game (not that it changes leaving mid season).
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

kinda like playing woods instead of overstreet.....

this offensive staff is just plain stupid sometimes
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Wyoklaelk wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:04 am kinda like playing woods instead of overstreet.....

If there's something to the argument of politics... who recruited Woods and who recruited Overstreet, and is either still on staff?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:43 am
Wyoklaelk wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:04 am kinda like playing woods instead of overstreet.....

If there's something to the argument of politics... who recruited Woods and who recruited Overstreet, and is either still on staff?
BackHarlowRoad speaks a lot of truth.

That said, Woods was recruited as a LB/ATH and made the switch to RB late in fall camp last year.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:31 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:43 am

BackHarlowRoad speaks a lot of truth.

That said, Woods was recruited as a LB/ATH and made the switch to RB late in fall camp last year.
I'm still just trying to make sense of why Woods kept starting after Overstreet showed without a doubt that he was the better back. :P
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:42 am
'PokeForLife wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:30 pm Saving a year of eligibility is another layer of depth to the situation that nobody here knew.
I knew. Didn’t and doesn’t change my opinion one bit about quitting mid season. Quitting mid season is not in my belief system period.

But actually I don’t believe it saves a year of eligibility if transferring to an FBS because he is not a grad and still must sit out next year if transferring to an FBS because he appeared in a game this year for Wyoming. The move only saves a year of eligibility for an underclassman (non graduating) under the new 4 game rule if transferring from FBS to FCS or D2. Worth pointing out that he left after the 2nd game and not the 4th game (not that it changes leaving mid season).
Not exactly true.

With the new rules, he can transfer and play right away because - despite playing this year - it is still counted as a redshirt year since he played in 4 games or less. Basically, it's the same situation as a guy that plays in zero games and transfers to another school, he won't have to sit a year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:18 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:42 am

Not exactly true.

With the new rules, he can transfer and play right away because - despite playing this year - it is still counted as a redshirt year since he played in 4 games or less. Basically, it's the same situation as a guy that plays in zero games and transfers to another school, he won't have to sit a year.
I don't believe that you are correct at all. Everything I have previously read or heard from reputable sources from when the rule was proposed, passed and until now still keeps the one year 'sit-out' rule in place for an FBS transfer. The redshirt rule basically just ensures that all football athletes get 5 years so long as they play in 4 games or less in at least one of their 5 years.

The USA Today certainly disagrees with your view.
"The transfer rule also doesn’t go far enough: The council should next create a rule allowing qualified student-athletes – those who reach a certain GPA or a more standardized academic benchmark – to transfer without a one-year penalty, as in the case with the existing rule regarding graduate transfers."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 698734002/
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:28 pm
I don't believe that you are correct at all. Everything I have previously read or heard from reputable sources from when the rule was proposed, passed and until now still keeps the one year 'sit-out' rule in place for an FBS transfer. The redshirt rule basically just ensures that all football athletes get 5 years so long as they play in 4 games or less in at least one of their 5 years.

The USA Today certainly disagrees with your view.
"The transfer rule also doesn’t go far enough: The council should next create a rule allowing qualified student-athletes – those who reach a certain GPA or a more standardized academic benchmark – to transfer without a one-year penalty, as in the case with the existing rule regarding graduate transfers."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 698734002/
My understanding of this stems from the Oklahoma State WR that decided to transfer after playing in 4 games this season.

Per ESPN
A new rule allows players to play in four games without burning a redshirt season, allowing McCleskey to be eligible to play in 2019 without being required to graduate.
And Per NBC Sports
McCleskey’s departure is part of a new phenomenon of players utilizing the new redshirt rule to their advantage. By leaving when he is, McCleskey will not have this season count against his eligibility, thus allowing him to play elsewhere in 2019.
The rule that the USA Today is referencing would be allowing players with a good GPA to transfer and play right away regardless of if they have redshirted in the past or if they have played in any amount of games.
Last edited by WestWYOPoke on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.